iRoush

The Clutch Opinions Thread

The purpose of this thread is to give those that are new to the mustang world or that want to know what is the best clutch to go for their particular power and driving situations.

Please use the following format:

Clutch (Brand and Model):

Transmission:

Primary Driving Usage: (Racing, Daily Driver, Weekend Warrior)

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable):

Mileage Driven:

Overall Rating (Scale of 1-10):

Driveability (Scale of 1-10):

Durability (Scale of 1-10):

Clutch Feel (Light, Moderate, Heavy):

Clutch Engagement (Smooth, Moderate, Instantaneous):

Comments:

Edited by iRoush

Clutch (Brand and Model): Fidanza 3.2 Clutch

Transmission: T45

Primary Driving Usage: Daily Driver

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable): 260hp

Mileage Driven: 5-10mi

Overall Rating (Scale of 1-10): 1

Driveability (Scale of 1-10): 6

Durability (Scale of 1-10): 1

Clutch Feel: Heavy

Clutch Engagement: Instantaneous

Comments: Bought this clutch as a replacement back in 2010 to my stock clutch. Installed it and it immediately failed, clutch pressure plate was defective and anytime it would heat up, it would not disengage. Fidanza was very unhelpful and would not give me even a partial refund....

Clutch (Brand and Model): Spec Stage 2

Primary Driving Usage: Daily Driver - Some Track Use

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable): Started with 274rwhp to 357rwhp

Mileage Driven: 22,000 miles

Overall Rating (Scale of 1-10): 5

Driveability (Scale of 1-10): 8

Durability (Scale of 1-10): 4

Clutch Feel: Moderate

Clutch Engagement: Moderate

Comments: The clutch was a great replacement when I changed it out, but that quickly wore off.. The clutch is average at best. It would engage high sometimes, engage low other times, sometimes the clutch would slip, sometimes it won't. It's very inconsistent with it's durability, that being said, I could powershift the heck out of it and it would hold up perfectly under all of the power and still does. Just driving around normally feels almost impossible....

UPDATE: Pressure plate fingers were bent inward causing the demise of the clutch (wore out prematurely).

Edited by iRoush

Clutch: Exedy Mach 500

Primary Driving Usage: Daily Driver

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable): 357RWHP/358RWTQ

Mileage Driven: 200

Overall Rating (Scale of 1-10): 9

Driveability (Scale of 1-10): 6

Durability (Scale of 1-10): 10

Clutch Feel: Light

Clutch Engagement: Instantaneous

Comments: I'm in love with this clutch. It does just about everything I want, only thing that I wish was a bit better is the instantaneous engagement. It takes a little bit of getting used to, that beings said, the pedal feel is so light that it makes the transition to this type of clutch very easy. The clutch feels very good, grabs and sticks hard while shifting, I think I might have found a winner!

Clutch (Brand and Model):Spec Stage 1

Transmission:Stock T5

Primary Driving Usage: (Racing, Daily Driver, Weekend Warrior) Daily Driver with some autoX and twisty backroads.

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable):Minor bolt-ons(exhaust etc)

Mileage Driven:15k

Overall Rating (Scale of 1-10):5

Driveability (Scale of 1-10):4

Durability (Scale of 1-10):7(lasted fine for the short time I had it)

Clutch Feel (Light, Moderate, Heavy):Freakin heavy.

Clutch Engagement (Smooth, Moderate, Instantaneous):Pretty much instantaneous

Comments: No one could drive it properly except for me just because I was used to it, and I still wasn't smooth with it. My dad who has driven standards his whole life had trouble with it, my cousin who tried pulling a prank and moving my car couldn't drive it... The alignment guy asked if I had a race clutch when he drove it up on the lift. I hated it. Fairly high engagement point, very heavy, and was either engaged or not, no middle ground. Highly discourage buying. Lasted fine though I guess.. though I didn't have it for long.

Clutch (Brand and Model): Spec Stage 2

Transmission: Borg Warner T5

Primary Driving Usage: (Racing, Daily Driver, Weekend Warrior) Street/weekend car/spirited driving

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable): 520tq capacity

Mileage Driven: ~15,000

Overall Rating (Scale of 1-10): 8

Driveability (Scale of 1-10): 9

Durability (Scale of 1-10): 8 (only cause I haven't really been able to test it)

Clutch Feel (Light, Moderate, Heavy): Relatively heavy, only really bothers me in traffic

Clutch Engagement (Smooth, Moderate, Instantaneous): As smooth or as hard as you want, very streetable but grabs great also.

Comments: I really can't say too much bad about this clutch. It's never chattered on me and you can drive it has gentle or hard as you like. my only complaint would be the pedal is a little stiff but it's really not that bad except in a lot of traffic like i previously said. I haven't had it to the track with the blower but it handled 4k launches on DRs with no problem.

It's funny like someone else mentioned though if you're not used to the clutch you will not drive the car smoothly at all. It's very grabby if you're not ready for it and I really had to relearn how to drive the car after installing it. Now that I'm used to it though I can drive it like stock no problem. It's probably way too much clutch for a stock T5 though.

Edited by OnyxCobra

Clutch (Brand and Model): Centerforce Dual Friction

Transmission:Tremec 3550

Primary Driving Usage: (Racing, Daily Driver, Weekend Warrior) Street/Strip

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable): Former -344, New- TBD

Mileage Driven: approx 1,000

Durability (Scale of 1-10): 8

Clutch Feel (Light, Moderate, Heavy): Light

Clutch Engagement (Smooth, Moderate, Instantaneous): Smooth

Comments:I killed one of them at the track ( 5,000 RPM clutch Dumps will do that ) but it was also the same clutch that was on the car when it was supercharged and was pushing over 500 at the wheels. The clutch is as smooth as butter and up to this point has taken some pretty good abuse. This is a mixed review of the former DF and the current DF that is in the car. I was not to hard on my review b/c I do not know what kind of abuse the clutch had before I got the car but so far the current DF has been awesome. And the old one lasted about 3 years of track abuse + whatever it went through before I got the car.

Edited by Venom351R

Can we add to the criteria "price" lol, I don't know about Yall but I'm poor lol

Sent from my EVO 3D using tapatalk

We'll leave that up to the buyer, clutch prices varies everywhere, and dependent on what youre looking for you can at least narrow down what kind of clutch you want.

Clutch (Brand and Model): center force dual friction

Transmission: Borg Warner t5

Primary Driving Usage: road Racing, autox, Daily Driver, hard street miles, spirited driving

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable): last dyno was 498hp at the tires, making more now, I'm guessing 540-ish.

Mileage Driven:

10,000+

Overall Rating (Scale of 1-10):10+

Driveability (Scale of 1-10):10+

Durability (Scale of 1-10):10+

Clutch Feel (Light, Moderate, Heavy): light

Clutch Engagement (Smooth, Moderate, Instantaneous):butter smooth.

Comments: easier to drive than the stock clutch, and just won't give up, even with punishment.

Clutch (Brand and Model): Zoom High-Performance part# HP70308

Transmission: Tremec 3650

Primary Driving Usage: (Racing, Daily Driver, Weekend Warrior) Daily driver, spirited driving, drag racing

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable): stock, now 335rwhp & 415rwtq

Mileage Driven: 35,000 +

Driveability (Scale of 1-10): 3

Durability (Scale of 1-10): 10

Clutch Feel (Light, Moderate, Heavy): Leg press heavy

Clutch Engagement (Smooth, Moderate, Instantaneous): Instantaneous

Comments: The clutch is like the Terminator, it wont die. I've been beating on the clutch (clutch dumping @ 5500-5800) at the track for the past 2 years with zero signs of slipping. The clutch does take some getting use to in order to drive it normal. My only complaint is the occasional chatter when it is cold in winter and the insane amount of pedal effort required to control the clutch in stop n go traffic.

Clutch: Ram HDX

Transmission: t45

Primary Driving Usage:Daily driven, plenty of aggressive pulls

Power Range: 373hp

Mileage Driven:5k

Overall Rating:9

Driveability: 10

Durability: ? had to replace tranny, clutch still had plenty of life left and had about 10k miles on it, inconclusive

Clutch Feel: Moderate

Clutch Engagement: Moderate

Comments: Excellent for a DD, rated up to 450rwhp. Not as heavy as most other clutches that are rated at this hp level. Slips out smooth when trying to launch, can't think of anything bad to say about this clutch, except it is moderately heavy and most people not used to aftermarket clutches stalled my car out instantly when trying to drive my car. Loved this clutch and I bought another one when I had my tranny built.

Clutch (Brand and Model): ACT 6 Puck 10.5" 10-Spline Clutch kit. (PN- FM7-SPR6)

Transmission: Tremec T-45

Primary Driving Usage: Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior

Power Range :275 RWHP

Mileage Driven: 2,5xx

Overall Rating (Scale of 1-10): 10 I love this clutch! But it is a Solid Hub/Unsprung

Driveability (Scale of 1-10): 7 I daily drive the car, but the cluch has some harsh engagement if your not ready the clutch will be out and if you didn't give et any gas next thing you know your stalled out at a green light :)

Durability (Scale of 1-10): 10 (So Far)

Clutch Feel: Pedal feel is slightly lighter then the king cobra clutch i removed.

Clutch Engagement: Instantaneous, It takes some getting used to in stop and go traffic but its daily worthy if your not stuck in city driving all the time. Im 50/50 I take highway to work in the a.m and back roads on the way home.

Comments: When i compare this clutch to any other cluch i have had, Centerforce, Spec and A King cobra this is by far my Fav clutch kit. Pedal feel is great, clutch/pressure plate is a quality piece and i think ill be a ACT customer for years to come!!!

6255028f-a6a9-922c.jpg

Edited by 330CubeGt

I'm doing one for each of the most relevant clutches I've had starting with the most recent

Clutch (Brand and Model): SPEC 4+ (26 spline)

Transmission: Tremec 3550

Primary Driving Usage: (Racing, Daily Driver, Weekend Warrior) Weekend Warrior

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable): 490hp/635tq

Mileage Driven: 20,000

Driveability (Scale of 1-10): 8

Durability (Scale of 1-10): 9

Clutch Feel (Light, Moderate, Heavy): Moderate

Clutch Engagement (Smooth, Moderate, Instantaneous): Moderate

Comments: This is a very strong clutch and the car launches very hard. It is a solid hub, and I've tried to take that into consideration with my ratings. It is surprisingly light and smooth for a solid hub.

Clutch (Brand and Model): Centerforce Dual Friction

Transmission: Tremec 3550

Primary Driving Usage: (Racing, Daily Driver, Weekend Warrior) Daily Driver

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable): 370/390hp

Mileage Driven: 8,000

Overall Rating (Scale of 1-10): 1

Durability (Scale of 1-10): 1

Comments: This clutch was total garbage. I put the n/a hp numbers, because it never made it far enough for the spray. This clutch incinerated itself after 1 pass at the track. I got no help from Centerforce, because they said the clutch is for unmodified cars only.

Clutch (Brand and Model): Ford Racing King Cobra

Transmission: T5

Primary Driving Usage: (Racing, Daily Driver, Weekend Warrior) Daily Driver

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable): 270/300

Mileage Driven: 70,000

Driveability (Scale of 1-10): 10

Durability (Scale of 1-10): 9

Comments: I still think this is the best clutch for basic H/C/I cars. Very smooth and durable. It is better than the stock or the Motorsport cluch in every way. Never chatters.

Kurt

Clutch (Brand and Model): Luk stock replacement clutch

Transmission: T-5

Primary Driving Usage: (Racing, Daily Driver, Weekend Warrior): Daily driving+very hard back road driving+track days

Power Range (or dyno#'s if applicable): Stock Engine

Mileage Driven: 9k

Overall Rating (Scale of 1-10):8

Driveability (Scale of 1-10):10

Durability (Scale of 1-10):8

Comments: It is what it says it is... it's a stock replacement clutch. Cheap, easy to use, and lasted 150k miles. If you don't have big power this is the way to go IMO.