M4Mustang

Member Photography Thread...

I love the nature shots, blwnbyu, but a lot of the photos seem too high contrast or is it an HDR software you are using? I say that because some software makes images look too much like a cartoon, but I am not a fan of HDR photography, because some people rely too much on post-production work.

If you can, post a before and after photo of the photography.

Photomatix actually leaves them with less contrast and you have to add that back in..

Ok so friend hooked me up with a guide for the GIMP software (which I use for editing since it's free) and this is my results after little testing with the options.....

Just a pick before and after with just using the steps in the "levels" section...

Before:

8526648873_e8d3173639_b.jpg

before by 1OF723, on Flickr

After:

8526648975_4f350b50b0_b.jpg

after by 1OF723, on Flickr

Before:

8526661207_f9cffac39b_b.jpg

Before by 1OF723, on Flickr

After:

8526663747_007029bb45_b.jpg

After by 1OF723, on Flickr

I still have a lot of learning to do but it's a start....

The software I use right now is called Gimp. It's a free software. Hoping to switch to Adobe Lightroom soon. White balance is my worst enemy right now.

Most of mine i use auto white balance on my camera and i usually havent had to touch it post processing

Most of mine i use auto white balance on my camera and i usually havent had to touch it post processing

Yeah. Mine stays on AWB too but when I get home and get on the computer you can tell it isn't correct. Not sure what the deal is.

Yeah. Mine stays on AWB too but when I get home and get on the computer you can tell it isn't correct. Not sure what the deal is.

Strange :shrug:

Here are some images from this past weekend. I shot these at the Phoenix International Raceway during the Subway 500 or whatever it was called.

The M&M car changing the motor. I do not dare say the drivers name, because it summons the devil.

PIR-03MAR2013_0018_Layer-2.jpg

Go JPM!

PIR-03MAR2013_0006_Layer-14.jpg

I would never eat there, anyway.

PIR-03MAR2013_0000_Layer-20.jpg

PIR-03MAR2013_0007_Layer-13.jpg

Pre crash test dummy.

PIR-03MAR2013_0016_Layer-4.jpg

Smoke

PIR-03MAR2013_0002_Layer-18.jpg

PIR-03MAR2013_0008_Layer-12.jpg

Wow awesome pics ed! What setting/method were you using for pic

Thanks! :bunnyb:

All shots were taken with a Nikon D300 using an SB-800 flash and a Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens. I will have to check the EXIF data, but the settings were usually around a 200 ISO (to be as crisp as possible), no flash, 1/250 (did not want to go any faster or it would 'freeze' the wheels in motion), f/5 (because it was overcast most of the day).