Schiffy

Your take on street racing?

I havn't watched the first movie in like 5 years..

we were all teenagers once who thought we could conquer the world when we got behind the wheel of a car and watched those movies over and over thinking they were the shit. Lol

the target audience for the first movie when it was made were 16 - 17 year old boys, so that kind of says it all doesn't it? :)

I personally will not do it. My thought is I like my drivers license to be valid. Also kind of senseless going to jail if you hurt, maim, or kill some one.

About 6 or 8 years ago there was a bunch of street racers that would actually block off one of the feeder interstates and race the 3 miles to the first exit. Long story short they were infiltrated by the state police and all of them rounded up, including spectators. Every car involved was confiscated, plus fines and suspensions. Not at all worth it to me.

Matt

Those 564 days lol

We have a place with a scale, that is closed to "civilian" traffic. It's a truck weigh point before leaving, the gates are closed to the public and are locked after 9. We prep the "track", mark off the 1320 and race. We get no closer than 20 yards or soo from the finish line, I find it relatively safe. I feel safer there than at most race tracks around me. Until they put a strip closer to my area I see this staying strong.

I run, most of it's for fun, we have a couple cars from the 1320videos come down on the off season. I think it's a fun pass-time on a friday night. Tons of fun, friends, and racing.

disclaimer: we race in mexico

I used to race religiously Friday and Saturday night's in Philadelphia. Not grown out of it yet I just don't have a car running. But yes it is dangerous and you have a lot to loss but that's the thrill of it. Shit that was the highlight of my week but I have learned I have other things to take care of before I race again...

I used to race religiously Friday and Saturday night's in Philadelphia. Not grown out of it yet I just don't have a car running. But yes it is dangerous and you have a lot to loss but that's the thrill of it. Shit that was the highlight of my week but I have learned I have other things to take care of before I race again...

Like get your car running? lol

Growing up in South Florida I used to go out and street race every thursday and saturday night. There used to be good money in it. I never saw anyone loose control of their car, or anyone get hurt. Back then the cops didn't care as along as you went out to US27 and did it. So long as you were doing it in the right place, they left you alone so that you wouldn't move the wrong place. Even if you did it in the wrong place, it was like a $68 ticket. Nobody cared until that stupid movie came out. It had unrealistic scenese of street racing and all of a sudden we were grouped with pedifiles and serial killers on the degenerate list by the public. That's when Florida came out with all those rediculous street racing laws. After high school I moved to Daytona Beach, and there weren't enough fast cars there to have a street racing scene. I think that's the best thing that ever happened for me, because I definately don't need all the aggravation. I don't miss the racing, but I do miss the easy money. The part that amazes me is how I have retained some of those skills a decade and a half later. If I watch "Pass Time" on Speed Channel, I can usually guess how fast the car is going to go within 2/10s just by looking at it and listening to the owner talk about it. I definately have too much to lose now. The worst part is that the nearest drag strip is 90 miles away, so I basically don't race at all anymore.

Kurt

I had two friends killed by street racers who thought there was nobody around. They were just driving home...and BAM, dead.

I'm not a fan of anything illegal on the street. I have too much to live for and a family to look after.

To be honest, I haven't even been to the track that much since my daughter was born. I used to be there weekly to run circles for awhile. I just can't be that selfish anymore.

Street racing was fun when I was younger and selfish. I made a lot of money racing and used to do it multiple days a week and it was a lifestyle for me. Then I watched a friend hit an innocent driver about 5 years back and die. Since then I have not raced or even wanted to. Also Nowadays it seems beyond stupid to me now that I have a daughter and wife who depend on me and need me. Besides i would rather just go to the local drag strip and spend 20 bucks to run test and tune for the night.

Sent from my Modded and overclocked Galaxy S2

Edited by SiK98GT

Yea I'm for it we do ok back roads in the sticks with prep prior to running ill actually be doing a little this up coming weekend as well as hitting the strip ... Always nice to have some vht

used to do a lot or organized street racing in my cobra. reason I stopped is:

1. I was getting in trouble

2. its all Hondas and really sketchy people

3.its stupid and dangerous,

the scene in my area does racing in abandoned industrial area's, so the only danger is other racers (hundreds of POS Hondas).

biggest issue is cops and stupid people in SLOW loud Hondas. not interesting. I do lots of recreational street racing with buddies and randoms on the street though. I Never do it in traffic, usually 1AM or later or NO traffic.

as far as im concerned as long as im not hurting or endangering anyone in any way im going to have fun :)

BTW im always the first one to let off or hang back, not about getting in trouble and being stupid.. I have WAY too much to lose.

I did a little, years ago, all just friendly runs amongst a group of friends.  I don't and won't anymore though.  Aside from having people to think about besides just me, and it being dangerous and expensive if you get caught... to be honest the average person is incapable of comprehending just how uninterested I am in drag racing.