Ford Motorsports

V6 Pony to Cobra Powered Project (lots of pics) (lots of read)

So, my wife and I decided to start a family. Well she told me that she needed a family car first, as we both had mustangs. I traded my 03 gt for a trailblazer for her and kept the v6 that was paid off. Last day of the GT. She told me I could do whatever I wanted with the car as long as I kept the bills paid, food on the table, and her happy LOL

Last day 03 gt, first day v6

pictures050107-011.jpg

What it looked like the first day

dscf0041.jpg

First mods removed clear tails, added s3 front, and moved spoiler back

dscf1148.jpg

dscf1151.jpg

Next Mod Engine removed

img00039.jpg

New 2001 Cobra engine and tranny

img00043.jpg

Yummy (lots of 1 wheel peel)

dscf2295.jpg

Rear, side borla side exhaust

dscf2299.jpg

Lowered added S3 spoiler

Taite002.jpg

Prefitted Side Skirts

jamescar001.jpg

Photoshop of Anticipated Spray

2002_sonic_blue_gtmustang_roushchop.jpg

How I rolled for a few months

IMG00087.jpg

Neeckid

paintproject002.jpg

Mmmmm new blue

twotone013.jpg

Color

paintproject013.jpg

Shiney

paintproject019.jpg

In the sun Shiney

Jamescar038.jpg

Got my plate back from the old GT

Jamescar008-2.jpg

Installed 8.8 with 3.73 and mac upper and lowers

IMG_0035.jpg

Tried out a different set of wheels for a few weeks

Jamescar008-1.jpg

Bought a "new" truck

Project1.jpg

Sold camper off the truck was going to get it painted for the guy I sold it to, just so happened he wanted it dark shadow gray, I hopped in the truck and got my hood scoop that needed painted, along with my JLT I was wanting to paint match. Jumped back into the truck then this happened, paint was 4 months old FML

Jamescardamage002.jpg

So I added a Cobra R hood instead and changed wheels

carfixed001.jpg

Headed to the track she went 12.7@18.96 new Saleens with Drag Radials

saleencar011.jpg

Chillin at the mustang show

saleencar007.jpg

Photo Op

4688401819_9256c5ea11_z.jpg

Got new headlights

5347420186_9d13bd1a5a_z.jpg

2 days after new headlights disaster strikes. Had the oil changed at a local place because it was cold out and I didnt want to do it. About 100 miles after the oil change, my engine is locked up broke down on the side of the highway. Legal battle insues.

DSC_0005.jpg

While the car was broken down, I purchased an 03 Termi setup. Installed it and lawyer told me do not get it running or take it out on the road.

5714758050_02fb20330d_z.jpg

5714197927_1354aaf282_z.jpg

Got fustrated with everything, money tied up in a car I couldn't use so I sold the terminator engine setup. Car sat for a few months, I found a 97 cobra engine and thinking court would be done, the car has been sitting for over a year like this.

IMG_0167.jpg

Now onto today. I had purchased a 2000 GT to fix up, repair and sell. I finished that project and it took me about a year to do, I made a few thousand and have recently got energized about my car. My car will now have a fully built 8.8, 4.30 gears, locker, 31 splines, and Mach brakes. I have purchased Ortiz 5.4 4v project, I purchased another c head cobra intake, and a set of adapter plates off the corral.

image_zps0f5cb8ae.jpg

image_zps666dc278.jpg

image_zps63b1cd0e.jpg

Hopefully I will update this thread more in the coming weeks!

Edited by Ford Motorsports

I'm surprised that little 7.5 rear end held up! Haha... My first Mustang was a '99 V6 and I sprayed one night on DR's and when all was said and done, the spider gears came out in chunks when I took the cover off. I replaced it with an 8.8 out of my buddies soon to be repo'd '95 GT. ended up selling the '99 when I joined the navy in '04 to pay off some debt. If I could locate that car now, I would snag it up in a heartbeat!

Holy crap dude! You've got some serious sentiment stuck in that ride! What's going on with the legal battle on the car?? It looks SO AWESOME! Major props dude!

Legal battle is over. They finally settled with me. I purchased the red 2000 gt, rebuilt it and made the money for the new engine project.

Apparently money wasn't much of an issue, haha. Damn that changed serious directions!

Money was always an object. I work hard and play hard. I am always searching for the next deal. After I get my car running, I will be purchasing another project vehicle to fix up to keep my side hustle going.

It's all good. I am just a hard workin family guy, that doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I keep my finances in check, so that when I wanna do something I can. Can't wait to get her back on the road. That 5.4 is going to be sickening!

You and me both brotha. Keep up the good work.

A small update today. I decided to clean up the built rear. It was in the red gt when I bought it, which was from New York, do it was pretty rust. I busted out the sand blaster and went to work.

image_zps16217bea.jpg

image_zps6861014b.jpg

A little better!

image_zps41e83780.jpg

I used a little redneck ingenuity to position the rear into place. With only one person, you can find some ingenious ways to do stuff.

image_zps1277fa4d.jpg

A small update today. I decided to clean up the built rear. It was in the red gt when I bought it, which was from New York, do it was pretty rust. I busted out the sand blaster and went to work.

image_zps16217bea.jpg

image_zps6861014b.jpg

A little better!

image_zps41e83780.jpg

I used a little redneck ingenuity to position the rear into place. With only one person, you can find some ingenious ways to do stuff.

image_zps1277fa4d.jpg

Loooks much better! Your build rocks!!!

No real updates yet . As we speak the engine is on a pallet and getting ready to be shipped. I am awaiting a Boss 260 intake to arrive from Canada. Going to clean get the rearend finished up tomorrow and maybe pulle the engine and tranny to get ready for the 5.4 swap.

Got a little bit done today finished installing the rear end, painted the rear calipers and changed rear brakes. I then put in new front ball joints and installed the Mach brakes on the front. Then winched her onto the trailer and took it to the car wash.

Ugly calipers

image_zps5a3aab78.jpg

Better

image_zpsff58deec.jpg

On the ttrailer

image_zps5905252d.jpg

Pretty again

image_zps091e1de4.jpg

Got a little bit accomplished today. Got the valvecovers back from powdercoating

Before

image_zps10e5f9f5.jpg

Before Valvecover

image_zpsbf2205c3.jpg

after wrinkle black

image_zpsb64d6339.jpg

Clearanced the 4.6 headers with a torch and BFH on the 4.6 they were 24" wide, on the 5.4 they were 26" wide, now they are 23 3/4" wide. in the background you can see the MM 1/2 k member spacers

image_zps8c19484a.jpg

Teaser, set the Cobra intake on

image_zpsdcc8a1de.jpg

Pure Sex

image_zps8f33c94f.jpg

I should have everything ready by Saturday to put the engine in for the first time. My buddy is letting me use his lift, I have access to all his tools including a welder and torch if I need it. Might be getting it running sooner than I think, June 1st is my goal.

that wrinkle black looks awesome dude! can't wait to see this sitting pretty in the engine bay!

wrinkle black wasn't my first choice. But they didn't have the blue I wanted. Then I was gonna do the timing color silver, but the powder coater said that he could do the wrinkle cheaper, as he was doing it the next day so, I went with cheap

love what you did with the car, it looked amazing after the R hood. love the 2 tone paint and everything, very sharp ride. Hope she's up and running again soon.

I wanted to do the r hood at first but couldn't afford it.

I agree, that wrinkle black really makes the whole engine look even better.

Sent from my secretary!!!

truth!

Looking good sir!!

Thanks dude

Got a little bit done yesterday. Loaded up the truck and went to my buddy's shop with a lift

image_zpsf23febb8.jpg

Tried to kill myself, as the brakes have not been bled and the ebrake is out of adjustment!

image_zpsb48c2d8b.jpg

K member out

image_zpsc6b5d507.jpg

Engine and tranny mounted to k member

image_zps2c91c5dd.jpg

Sometimes you got to wiggle it in there

image_zpsddb510ed.jpg

AH, that's the spot

image_zps288fd743.jpg

k member spacer

image_zpsdf3c1bf2.jpg

Headers are in not touching the floorboards or frame rails!!

image_zps5b23243d.jpg

Project 5.4 needs a little more work to clear the steering shaft. I have the steering wheel turning, just got to clearance a little bit more. Then I got to straighten the collectors out and make the midpipe work. A little bit of a challenge, but it will all work.

That's crazy you got the motor to go in from the bottom, it looks like its wayyyyy to close to fit. Glad too see that the headers fit, can't imagine how much of a. Pain it'd be if you had to fan up your own!