95riosnake

The Chronicles of 95riosnake's OCD Machine

• Moderators

Smoked Cobras. That's what I have on my Rio Red/Saddle car and plan to have polished wheels; I don't think the smoked lights and polish wheels are a mismatch.

Thanks guys, like I said, this will be a temporary thing (unless I find myself really loving the smoked look)...I just was having a hard time deciding if I liked it since I've had chrome/clear headlights on this car since the day I bought it in 03, lol.

Me personally, I would go with an OEM cobra set, but of the three I'd just stick with your retrofits, because like everyone said, no one ever noticed that gap you silly goose!

if you really feel like spending money, just send it to me. :)

I wish I could find a replacement like the ones I have. Clear lens, black housing. They look good with the black, but are a step away from the smoked look. They would be a nice fit against your red.

Look on ebay. They're all over lol steve-oh has them and so did I

^ Yea I know, I just have a lot on my plate right now and the time needed to open them up nicely and reposition the projectors is proving hard to come by.

I haven't even shed light on the whole plan for this car yet :whistle:

^ Already have 3k HID's in the fogs Troy :thumb:

Probably just going to suck it up and fix my retros, the visibility is somewhat of a necessity at night given my ground clearance situation lol. It would probably feel like driving with candlesticks to go back to regular bulbs in reflector housings, and I'm not much for HID's in stock housings.

^ Already have 3k HID's in the fogs Troy :thumb:

Probably just going to suck it up and fix my retros, the visibility is somewhat of a necessity at night given my ground clearance situation lol. It would probably feel like driving with candlesticks to go back to regular bulbs in reflector housings, and I'm not much for HID's in stock housings.

I love your retrofits, but I'm the coomplete opposite, I bought the smoked headlights off AM and use hids in them and I love how far it projects out... But I'm not saying I wouldn't use a set of retro fits if I had them lol

Jeremy

for some reason i'm not feelin those smoked headlights on there dan. your color, fogs, wheels...all need an oem look on the headlights imo. smoked just looks like an afterthought.

and dam man, i did'nt even see the glass work in the trunk, lol. great work there dude! i really need to get started on my trunk soon, this really helps inspire my man :)

Edited by tony

Here's today's progress, probably doesn't look like much but it was about 4 or so hours worth of work, lol. And most of that time was spent sanding, which may be one of the most miserable things to do lol.

So I sanded the crap out of the inside and outside of the tub for about 2.5 hours...unfortunately I forgot to take a pic before adding the filler. Next I added a layer of "Bondo Hair" fiberglass-reinforced filler (similar to Evercoat Tiger Hair if anyone has heard of that).

Filler on finally

enclosuresanding1.jpg

Let it cure about a half hour, then after an hour and a half of sanding or so later it looked like this:

enclosuresanding2.jpg

Thank God I took it to our shop at work to do this step, my garage and car would have been covered in dust, lol (down draft sanding table FTW) It still needs some more sanding and a little bit more filler in a couple spots. Then I can liquid nail a support rib inside it and then get to work putting the top on. I've decided once I get the tub smooth enough for my tastes, I'm going to coat it in some textured bed liner-ish coating, then obviously the top panel will be wrapped in carpet.

Yea I know, the filler was just to fill in the texture of the low spots, it still needs some more sanding. I ran out of time on Friday but I'll be hitting it with the sander a bit more.

Just making sure haha :) <br> <br> How much does that thing weigh? About 25 pounds or so?

Surprisingly it isn't that heavy, I'd say 10lbs or less. The MDF top will add some weight though.

Nice! You must have done a really nice job smoothing out excess resin. You may not want to do it, but I highly recommend going around the whole thing with a delrin rod, knocking on it everywhere. If there is air, it will bust out, then you just pop it with a dremel, and fill it in with some of that bondohair. If you don't get the air out now, whenever this is used as an enclosure of sorts, it will have holes busting in it all over the place. Sorry I forgot to mention checking for air earlier. (p.s. Is anyone else not able to hit enter on here to line break?)

I'll check it for air pockets, I found a few of them while sanding, they're now filled w/bondo hair like you suggested. I had a couple around the area where I had the wood chunk clamped, it was hard to get the cloth worked down into the corner.

You should have told me before you started doing this lol. The ideal tool would have been a roller, about 1/2" in diameter. It's the proper way to roll out material like that haha. But even veteran laminaters have trouble getting around wood chunks, so don't feel bad :)

^ Eh oh well, live and learn I guess. I'll get this thing refined to my standards one way or another lol. I doubt I'll ever be building another one of these though...not the most fun I've had but I have enough time and money into this box by now that I'm going to see it through to completion. I'd work on it some today but I'm not doing any fiberglass sanding in my garage so I'd have to take it to work, and since I have to be there at 6am tomorrow, I'll just wait till next week lol.

MAJOR BUMP... Just spent the last 3.5-4 hours adding the winter 2011-2012 build log to the first post. This covers the Procharger, Tremec, IRS, and a bunch of other cool stuff. Check it out and let me know what you guys think! I'm going to call it a night soon, my head is spinning from narrating an entire winter's build all at once (and one of the biggest winter builds I've done to date at that, haha). Enjoy, I'm just glad I finally got around to it lol :drinktothat:

Good god....the level of detail in your car is staggering. I hope my Car will be there one day!

Do you have plans for pulling the motor and doing a full wire tuck and shaving the engine bay?

THIS:

img3750i.jpg

AND THIS:

img0734bt.jpg

are just awesome...the finish on those intake/blower tube thingy's, lol. and the IRS are amazing and will be something i will def be doing one day!! fuckin awesome car dude!!

Edited by 95riosnake

Wow.... Words can not express the level of work...

Kinda makes me want to go burn my car down and just get outta the mustang game... Lol

Jeremy

Thanks man, your car is looking great these days though...don't give up now! lol

Good god....the level of detail in your car is staggering. I hope my Car will be there one day!

Do you have plans for pulling the motor and doing a full wire tuck and shaving the engine bay?

I was having thoughts of doing that when deciding what to do this winter but decided it was best to hold off. I'm going to wait till I either decide to upgrade to a Dart block (it'll be a while on that lol) or if omething goes catastrophically wrong like blowing the motor. I'm thinking about doing a mini-shave on the bay soon, just weld up the holes and paint the side panels of the bay and strut towers with color matched spray cans. It would look TONS better than it does now, without having to go full on 95opal with it.

THIS:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/5470/img3750i.jpg

AND THIS:

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/5637/img0734bt.jpg

are just awesome...the finish on those intake/blower tube thingy's, lol. and the IRS are amazing and will be something i will def be doing one day!! fuckin awesome car dude!!

Thanks man! While going back through and documenting all the stuff I did in like 6 months last year, it made me tired just thinking about all the work it was. I honestly can't believe I pulled it all off in time. Funny thing is it went from something I worked on 1-2 days a week at the beginning to something I worked on like 4-5 days a week toward the end. Shit got crazy toward the end. I'm kinda mad that my documentation of it with taking pictures started to slack toward the end, because there are a LOT of details I had to leave out since I had no pics. It's the nature of the beast I guess, I was working like a mad man to get the car driveable so I could make it on time for my tuning appointment. I am gonna try to track down more pics, because I swear I had some more. The problem is I didn't have a nice camera last year, so all the pics were taken with an old school point and shoot Canon and my iPhone. It got really disorganized between the two, and some of the pictures are pretty blurry.

I'll tell you it was a LOT of work, there were a couple times during the process where I thought "what the hell is wrong with me? Why couldn't I just bolt the damn thing in?" haha. But in the end I was glad I saw it through to the end. Whenever I work under the car I end up just laying on the creeper for a couple minutes admiring the IRS lol.

Not to say it was impossible work, just a lot of it. FTBR shows the entire bushing install process in great detail with their how-to videos, it just takes some patience and time to get it all done.

What year IRS is the local one to you? If it's an 03-04 that's a damn good deal. I traded my SRA, Tokico D-Spec shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit springs, Eibach sway bar, and UPR upper control arms, and Steeda Adjustable control arms plus $400 for the low-mile IRS I have. It was bone stock other than coming with the Billetflow brace and MM low profile subframe bolts.

So here is the weekend's progress on the sub enclosure. After sanding the inside and finding some air pockets, those areas were a bit thin for my liking, so I wanted to add a bit more thickness. I ordered a yard of 4mm thick Coremat to add a thick layer quickly. Coremat is a perforated, shredded polyester material that will give you the effect of adding 4 layers of glass much quicker. So here's the process of that:

First I had to start cutting the mat to fit inside the enclosure by making pie cuts to fit it nicely. A bit of 3M spray adhesive on the inside of the enclosure and on the back side of the core mat kept it in place. After getting a flap trimmed, I simply sprayed a light mist of adhesive on the back of the coremat and on the enclosure interior, waited a second and pressed it down to form it. This part took a little while to get it all fitting nicely.

photo7lub.jpg

Trimming done

photo8xj.jpg

Next came another layer of fiberglass cloth to lay over the core mat.

photo6vt.jpg

Then I mixed up three 24oz batches of resin and saturated the core mat and the fiberglass cloth. Then a final additional layer of cloth was laid down and another batch of resin over that. After about 3/4 gallon of resin I ended up with this, and left it at the shop at work for a couple days to save my house from the smell of the resin while it cured ;)

photo5ry.jpg

Fast forward to today, I took a trip to work to pick it up and bring it home. Then it was time to mark it for trimming to get rid of the flange around the top edge that isn't needed.

Here's the highly sophisticated marking tool I came up with :eagerness:

I just slowly slid this around to mark the cut line, only the most high tech tools in my garage, lol.

img0816c.jpg

Then out came the cut off wheel and I made a tiny bit of dust cutting this off

img0818th.jpg

The finished lower tub of the enclosure

img0817ay.jpg

This thing is SOLID now, the wall thickness is about 5/16" or so, and it is hard as a rock. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Next step will be dividing the interior in half to reduce the volume to what I need for my sub, then adding the top panel of 3/4" MDF. The tub is 5-3/4" tall, and with the 3/4" MDF top the total height will hit 6-1/2", which is the exact depth of the tire well. My sub's mounting depth is 6-11/16" so I'll just have to add a thin ring of MDF where the sub mounts to space it up and get a little space undrneath it. It'll still be very low to the floor and close to flush so I think I'll be happy with the finished product.

Anyway, I'll be back next week with more updates and hopefully a ton more progress! :salute:

Edited by 95riosnake