iRoush

AutoCross Picture & Video Thread

Vid from last month's event. forgot my action cam this month :/

Take note of the back half of the course, through the walloms (slaloms with 5 cones in a row). Thanks to the watts link being setup up perfectly for Qualcomm's West Lot, I was really able to cook through it!

Okay so I did my first autocross on Sunday and had a blast. Even with the from the factory struts and shocks with 110,000 miles that are way gone, she didn't fair too bad. I had major push on the tight course but made up time in the slaloms with the gripy R888's. After my first run of 45 seconds I was happy with that time as a 2014 5.0 ran a 44.5 and a Boss 302 ran a 41.7 second lap. Going into the second run I knew where I had to better my corner entry and where I could go deeper. I felt like I picked it up rather quickly and by the end had shaved almost five seconds of my time. And I beat all my coworkers who were running an S2000, turbo SC300 and a 2007 GT500 that is modded. My boss who owns the GT500 was having issues remebering which way the course actual ran so he put me in the drivers seat and said have fun. Being the first time I had been behind the wheel of the 830 hp beast, it was a little scary. But man was it amazingly awesome. Trying to hussle thast 4000lbs beast around a course ment for a miata was more fun than I have ever had. I didn't get any video of those runs but man that was a great experience. I only managed a 42.4 out of the GT500. I am definitely hooked and already going over what I did wrong and where the car needs inprovement first. And due to my friend being a little slow, no photos yet, have to get them from the event photographer. Excuss the phone taped to the rear view mirror quality. :tongue-new:

post-356-13881839852695_thumb.jpg

Edited by wmfateam

nice runs bud. One suggestion for ya, mount the camera behind you at an angle you can still see outside of the windshield. most important thing you should be focusing on is driver form. hands at 9 and 3 at all times. you should be able to keep at least one hand at 9 or one hand 3 at ALL times on the course. if you have to rotate your hands more than that, you've entered the turn too fast and are using up more tire than you need. Very simple philosophy and it may seem like it makes you slower, but, it really does allow you to drive faster.

Nice Job Burt!! Time for the big track now!

thanks dude. lol, not for awhile. with what this car is capable of now, it REALLY needs a full cage and not just a roll bar for big time racing. Next year I'm going for a Regional Championship in Autocross. That's one of the biggest goals I have for 2014.

From today. Rain + BFG R1 R-Comps made for some slippery approaches to the cones. Still pulled off a win by half a second!

Way to go! Glad to see that beast up on top. I give you mad props on your car control and your ever lasting driver mod. To continue the Sn95 winning ways I won the final event of the AZsolo fall series in novice 2. Not much, but gives me excitement and momentum going into 2014.

post-356-13881839908446_thumb.jpg

Way to go! Glad to see that beast up on top. I give you mad props on your car control and your ever lasting driver mod. To continue the Sn95 winning ways I won the final event of the AZsolo fall series in novice 2. Not much, but gives me excitement and momentum going into 2014.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3759[/ATTACH]

thanks man! definitely not as easy as it looks to keep the rear end from coming around. Always a handful but when I keep it on ragged edge of being out of control it generally pays off and I'm much faster. Congrats on the your win man! definitely a good start! Next year I'm moving up to street unlimited due to the mods I'm doing, hopefully I can take home a regional championship next year!

Edited by iRoush

So today was my second AutoX and for the first time it was on my Mustang. I took the rides slow at first as I immediately realized I needed proper throttle control once my pony started to prance out of control thanks to my 4.10 gears.  By the end of the day, I started to be in the 63 second average margin which was for fast cars.  Of course, the real fast cars were at 58 seconds on average but I am glad I didn't get beat by a modded out Mazda 2 who was up my ass!

Aside from learning proper throttle control, another issue I was having understeer.  I never new my car was so prone to it.  I had a fellow Mustang driver sit with me and he mentioned how I was dealing with the understeer which was wrong.  I was turning my wheel and when it didn't turn, I just kept turning my wheel.  Eventually it gripped and straightened out but I was left fighting the steering wheel trying to get it back straight.  I just needed to be more patient with the understeer and control throttle to fight understeer.  On this video which was with my fastest time, I applied as much as I could to properly steer on tight turns especially on the hairpin at the other side of the course.  On the second lap you can see me purposely kicking the rear end just to straighten it up.  DORIFTO!

Finally, last issue was the main one...no bucket seats that hold you in. 

Still have much to learn so I can't wait for next day.  Too broke to run tomorrow sadly since Humboldt County sucks at hiring people. Now watch in HD!

<br />

<br /><br />Awesome job. That has some tight sections, that understeer is a female dog. I like having those little pesky cars around, they make me drive faster.<br /><br />Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk<br /><br />

decided to film the terrible roll center of the front suspension thanks to ford stupid k-member design. look at how terrible of an angle that a-arm is, it's supposed to be parallel to the ground when sitting still lmao.

and here is my class winning run today. that makes a hat trick for me (3 wins in a row!)

Came away from this weekend as the CP-SD National Tour Champ!

Saturday I struggled with oversteer. Having removed the rear aerodynamics from the car really made a vast difference on grip and even with a bigger front sway bar on the car for this event it still was catastrophic. Left a LOT of time on the table saturday unfortunately but still came away with a good sized lead going into Sunday. Here's my best from Saturday:

Changes for sunday were very basic, all I did when I got home saturday night was move the Watts Link Roll Center down an Inch. This alone brought the rear of the car back under control and set me up beautifully with just the right amount of oversteer to lay down some seriously quick times. Definitely shocked a lot of people with the Roush, came within a second of Hyman's Nissan GTR and to me, that's a victory considering how out of date my car is! Here's my best from Sunday:

Here's just a couple of misc vids, first one is of my first run from sunday when I was getting a feel for the course. Second is just a rear facing camera.

Overall I had a blast this past weekend. Extremely pleased coming away with a win at my very first National Level event in autocross. Look for more things to come, we might be headed to Cone Surfing USA (Lincoln) if we get the car prepared in time! Currently she sits in the garage with a broken rear end. Passenger side C-Clip "partially" failed and tore up the wheel bearing and outer seal. These damn hoosiers are just too sticky for c-clips!

10014790_10152062731957849_5529364294999
10171273_611436825612339_2004943955_n.jp
1526352_611436855612336_167878892_n.jpg

so after cleaning up the mustang for the autocross, I removed the spare, then I noticed the board that goes over the spare was just falling in the spare tire spot.  So, I went behind the rear seats and remove the cover.  then i got curious and removed the seats.  WTF, I now don't have rear seats!

I swear do a delete and you will never miss them.  Makes a great spot for gear and from now on you will not have to worry about hearing your friends complain there is no space in the back seat as if your knees are not eating the dash.  They will give you one strange look when you say you took out your back seat, and then they get over it much much faster then if they have to get shoe-horned into the back seat.....