smallblocksn95

SN95 351w swap

i havnt gotten the heads yet, because after talking to trick flow, the 185s and 205s are discontinued. They are releasing a revamped design in the next couple weeks and suggested the 190s from this new line, set to be release in a couple weeks. I'd like to run a turbo down the road, but for right now im interested to see how this cam i have will run, it was just released at the end of may.

From what I can tell it doesn't seem like too bad a cam, I know we're gonna advance it 4 *. I've looked around and it doesn't look like anyone online ran it yet

Why would you advance the cam 4 degrees? That would be terrible in a 351 to do. Car will prob roll over on power at 4800-5k. Most if not all cam companies degrees 4 degrees advance into the cam so you can install without an adjustable timing set.

Just my two cents.

Lol yeah. Well advancing 4 degrees limits top end and gives more mid range. Honestly I wouldn't touch the cam and put it at zero. With a small cam and big cubes its already limiting power band, advancing 4 degrees it will make it have power like a diesel lol

I'm not sure these pistons can be notched

Yeah, you can even make your own tool. Go get a few stock valves from a big block ford at the parts store for 3 bucks a piece and get some 80 grit sand paper with an adhesive back and stick it to valve on bottom of head bolt head on with 3-4 bolts, use drill and guess and check when you cut eyebrows in the pistons. You'll be cutting off so little off the pistons the weights won't be off at all. I would use a bigger valve then you use just to increase clearance for edge of valve because the pistons do rock back and fourth a little. There are many write ups online. Done this 3-4 times in my town to put a .600 lift hydraulic roller cam on a stock bottom end.

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't guess and check. There is a collar that you can buy from your local hardware store. It slips over the tip of the valve. You then set your depth with feeler gauges and lock the collar to the valve. Now you can't go too deep.

If I can grab a used shortblock for cheap, I might do a how to.

No shit? That would of been easier then grind a tiny bit, take off and clay it and keep going lol.

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pistons in the 351, are different than what was used in the 302s. My 351s pistons have an oval shaped dish, that look like if you tried to fly cut them it would cut through the wall of the dish

I am well aware of what 351w stock pistons look like...

silly goose.

Figured I would update this, considering I'm just starting to mess with it again. After driving myself crazy I walked away from the car for almost 6 months. Picked up some 36lb injectors yesterday for cheap, and got them installed on the lower intake. Finally got the cam information from ford on my cam. The specs they list online are NOT what the cam really is, no idea why. The beginning of next month i get my bonus from work and my taxes back so I'm planning on ordering some AFR 185s. After those there isn't much left to get. The biggest thing that sucks is that when i pull the motor I will have some small rust repair to do in the engine bay, at the bottom of the strut towers. So that means the engine  bay will be getting repainted lol.

IMG_0871_zps65184498.jpg

IMG_1039_zps57b57902.jpg

IMG_1040_zps34ace668.jpg

Looks Chinese to me. The factory replacement is usually about $5 cheaper and isn't made in China. Neither one is SFI approved anyway.

Kurt

I would take a pro products balancer over a factory replacement any day of the week . The factory replacements come apart or crack at the key way .... With out using one don't say you wouldn't recommend them ... I had one on my extremely big dollar stroker build and even woody at ford strokers sold me the piece .

I avoid Chinese crap if at all possible.  It doesn't matter that I haven't used that particular piece of Chinese crap.  My first stroker had a stock replacement, and it never cracked.  Running a Pioneer now.

Kurt

Fancy I have a sfi spec now