Psychorugby

50 Shades of Red

• Moderators

This is mainly for my 1995 Rio Red/Saddle GT convertible that my friend and I started calling Rustang years ago when it sat in the driveway with a leaky top. Thanks to sitting in the Florida sun for two years, it's 50 shades of red.

My dad bought the car from its original owner in 1999 or 2000. He used it as his daily driver, and, I think, as a demolition derby car when he moved to the DC area. Around 2004, he was going to sell it or scrap it because he had beaten it up so badly. At the time, I had a 2001 Torch Red V6 that I hated so I asked him if we could sell it instead of the GT (I really wanted a GT and really wanted a convertible so I was willing to drive around in a pile). She became my daily driver until I bought an F150 FX4 in late 2006. At that point, she started sitting neglected. Two years ago, my wife and my parents joined forces to get a new top installed, which renewed my interest in the car. It's been a super slow process so far, but I started buying parts in late 2011. No sooner than I got some stuff ordered, the car quit running.

So I began chasing down that problem, which led to me replacing the spark plugs, distributor, cap & rotor, fuel pressure regulator, harmonic balancer, and installing a new Walbro 255lph fuel pump (turns out that was the problem all along). The goal is to have a daily driveable sleeper car that can outperform today's muscle cars, and to be a car that I can take to shows and not be embarrassed.

The build list (an X indicates I have already purchased):

Exterior

• Paint - Rio Red
  • '95 Cobra R style hood if I can't make the stock hood work
  • (X)OEM Cobra front bumper
  • Shaved rear bumper
  • (X)Side scoops
  • (X)SVO side skirts (or ABC replica)
  • (X)Steeda functional race wing
  • Saleen speedster cover
  • Cobra (crystal) headlights
  • (X)Export tail lights
  • Export mirrors (or 03/04 Cobra)
  • (X)Convertible top
  • Weatherstrip

Interior

• Carpet (if I can't clean it)
  • Redo steering wheel (Saddle leather and brown Alcantara with 10th anniversary bumps)
  • (X)Custom white faced guages (from 95Opal)
  • Re-skin current seats (saddle leather and brown Alcantara)
  • Rear seat delete (not sure on this yet)
  • Double DIN console
  • Clock gauge pod (?)
  • Head unit (? no clue)
  • Speakers (? no clue)

Engine Bay and cleanup

• Performance Distributor Screamin' Demon ignition coil
  • Performance Distributor Dyna Mod TFI module
  • Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2mm spark plug wires
  • (X)Fox throttle cable
  • Fox throttle cable bracket
  • Fox TPS sensor
  • Fox IAC motor
  • Fox EGR delete plate
  • (X)Stainless steel braided fuel lines
  • (X)Stainless steel braided power steering lines
  • Stainless steel braided radiator hoses
  • (X)Wire tuck
  • (X)20g sheet metal for bay smoothing

Suspension & Steering

• (X)Bilstein HD struts and shocks
  • (X)Maximum Motorsports coil over kit (front)
  • (X)H&R Super Sport springs (rear)
  • (X)Maximum Motorsports 4 bolt caster/camber kit
  • (X)Maximum Motorsports non-offset tubular A arms
  • (X)Energy Suspension front control arm bushings and sleeves
  • (X)Maximum Motorsports bumpsteer kit
  • (X)Fordball joints
  • (X)MOOG inner and outer tie rod ends
  • (X)Prothane outer tie rod end boots
  • (X)Team Z adjustable upper control arms
  • (X)SVE weight jacker lower control arms
  • (X)Maximum Motorsports solid steering rack bushings
  • (X)Steeda billet upper axle bushings
  • (X)Prothane front sway bar bushings
  • Maximum Motorsports solid steering shaft
  • (X)03-04 Cobra steering rack and pinion
  • Steeda rear sway bar
  • (X)Full length sub-frame connectors
  • Torque box kit
  • 4-point roll bar
  • (X)Steeda 351w strut tower brace
  • (X)Maximum Motorsports tubular K member

Brakes

• (X)Cobra calipers, front (powdercoated Rio Red)
  • (X)Raybestos R-300 rotors, front
  • (X)Raybestos Advanced Technology pads, front
  • (X)Cobra calipers, rear (powdercoated Rio Red)
  • (X)Raybestos R-300 rotors, rear
  • (X)Raybestos Advanced Technology pads, rear
  • (X)Cobra rear brake kit
  • (X)Russell's stainless steel braided brake lines
  • (X)Russell's speed bleeders
  • (X)87 Ranger master cylinder
  • Ford Racing proportioning valve
  • Parking brake cables (if needed)

Exhaust

• Bassani 351w big tube shorties
  • (X)Bassani X-pipe
  • Borla Stinger mufflers
  • (X)Borla side exhaust tips

Driveline

• (X)Ford Racing 4.10 gears
  • (X)Ford Racing ring & pinion install kit
  • (X)Torsen Type B (T2) 31 spline differential
  • (X)Moser 31 spline axles
  • (X)Moser wheel studs
  • (X)Axle bearings and seal kit
  • (X)Moser differential cover
  • (X)ARP carrier bearing cap stud kit
  • (X)Tremec T56 transmission (already in the 66, swap for 5 speed)
  • Shifter (?)
  • Stiffler's T56 crossmember

Wheels & Tires

• 18x9/10.5 Rovos Durbans (thanks CJPP!)
  • Nitto NT555 265/35/18 and 315/30/18

Motor (still researching)

• (X)OEM Ford 351w roller block
  • Fordstrokers.com 408w stroker kit
  • TFS Twisted Wedge 11R 205 cylinder heads
  • TFS R-series 351w intake
Edited by Psychorugby

• Moderators
Looks like a good list of plans! Glad you made the thread too!!

It is going to be very slow since I have to get spousal approval on a lot of this... compromises have been made haha. My hope is that if I can get it looking good, then she will get more interested in it. Problem is she likes the 66 better, so I will have to do both at the same time.

Since I've bought only the suspension, I am all ears on anything else. I can post my motor build as well, although I am being swayed back to the 351w side of the house.

Good to see you started a thread about your build, I know all about getting the spousal approval. It's been the topic of many "debates" in my house lol.

Anything rio red is a good starting point IMO ;)

• Moderators
Good to see you started a thread about your build, I know all about getting the spousal approval. It's been the topic of many "debates" in my house lol.

Debates are definitely putting it mildly. The way to end them is not to tell her that your car money is tied up on her left finger either... just sayin'. I think when it starts looking decent (after paint and new seats), I think she will come around. She already wants me to build her a Factory Five Cobra, which is why I really need to get these two cars finished.

Anything rio red is a good starting point IMO ;)

Maybe you will have a topless twin in the future? What would you do differently to yours if it was a vert?

awesome! now photo bomb us with pics of progress :)

when ya get goin

I definitely will. When we get into the new house in September (maybe sooner), I'll have enough room to blow apart the underside to install the suspension and complete the "Dan Mod." Up to that point, this is more for suggestion and ideas since I enjoy the planning and deal shopping almost more than the car.

• Moderators

The other goal of this thread is to document the [re] transformation of my 1966 GT. It's a true GT with every option but the K code (HiPo) motor, automatic transmission, and backup lights. I originally wanted to repaint it, but I am glad I stuck with the original Emberglow metallic exterior and Emberglow/Parchment Pony interior since I found out that less than 10% of ALL Mustangs made were Emberglow. This means this car is a lot more special (at least to me) than my dad and I originally thought. Because of that I want to take it back closer to original and rectify some of the mistakes I made in design choices as a teenager. I will be cutting out the roll bar, losing the cowl hood, taking the T56 out and replacing with the original Borg Warner 4 speed or the T45 from the 95, taking out the fuel cell so that I can use the trunk, and probably replacing the wheels since I've learned a lot about measuring wheels in the last 15 years.

Here is how she sat two weeks ago before going into storage while we move:

F2BEC984-AE4E-4BF9-B04A-C16E4CE27A4A-990-000000E7535AC7E5_zpseb360842.jpg

Here is an example of at least the stance I hope to achieve (all I have to do is get some reverse eye leafs and wheels/tires that fit):

66Mustang_zpsa3625cd7.jpg

I'll be honest though, I am having a hard time talking myself out of putting the 302 from the 95 into this car if/when I decide to put a 351w in the 95... of course that would defeat the "going back closer to original" idea.

• Moderators
Start another thread for the 66!! They'll be two badass build threads!!

When the time comes, I will... or if it gets a nickname (I used to call it Agent Orange, which is no Sexual Teal Whale Cannon). I can't wait to tear both of them apart. The 66 makes me nervouse/anxious since I've done it once before and hate doing stuff twice. I'll be replacing the fuel system, pulling the motor and cleaning it up, re-painting the engine bay, cleaning the wheels, and cleaning the interior first.

My friend will be doing his 69 Grande soon, so I might have to start one for his car.

Debates are definitely putting it mildly. The way to end them is not to tell her that your car money is tied up on her left finger either... just sayin'. I think when it starts looking decent (after paint and new seats), I think she will come around. She already wants me to build her a Factory Five Cobra, which is why I really need to get these two cars finished.

Oh I try to forget how much money is on my wife's finger. She's pretty much walking around with a Dart shortblock and the down payment on a new daily driver lol.

Maybe you will have a topless twin in the future? What would you do differently to yours if it was a vert?

Hmm I'll have to mull that over a bit. The biggest regret I have so far is building a stock-blocked stroker thinking I would never want to boost it in the future. I could be making much more power with the same external engine parts I have right now, if only I had a better block in place. Don't get me wrong, I will be happy with where I'm at for a while but if I had it to do over again, I'd save my pennies for another year and go with a Dart block or R block.

One piece of advice after a quick scan of your parts list; I would recommend doing just the rear sway bar and focusing the cash for the front sway bar on your other parts. These cars do well with an upgraded rear sway bar, but the front sway bar is pretty much good to go as-is. Some people who go with a bigger front sway bar end up going back to stock because the stiffer front sway bar can cause excess understeer. It may not be a problem if you do mostly casual driving, but it could show its face in spirited back road driving or competition driving. I researched whether or not to upgrade the front bar on mine a few years back and decided against it after reading the opinions of some experienced racers. I am still running the stock front sway bar on mine. The front sway bar bushings you already have will make a nice improvement, so I'd just stick with that for now and see how you like it.

To quote a racer on SVTP:

Everyone I know who has run a larger aftermarket front sway bar has taken them back off and returned to stock, because of too much understeer, even with an aftermarket adjustable rear bar on full stiff.

Both cars were on full coil overs with over 450ppi front springs and 5 or 600 ppi rear.(this is a fairly high wheel rate) It is my understanding that the stock front bar is about as stiff as you would want to go.

I know nearly all of you guys already know this stuff, but whatever end of the car gets increased stiffness, that end will lose grip.(as a general rule)

stiffer front bar and springs = more understeer

stiffen the rear only and you can reduce understeer.

Please don't flame me this is for the newbs.

I would not run a stiffer front bar unless I had oversteer problems that I was unable to correct any other way.

Plus you can not effectively test this stuff on the street without risking arrest.

• Moderators
Oh I try to forget how much money is on my wife's finger. She's pretty much walking around with a Dart shortblock and the down payment on a new daily driver lol.

Hmm I'll have to mull that over a bit. The biggest regret I have so far is building a stock-blocked stroker thinking I would never want to boost it in the future. I could be making much more power with the same external engine parts I have right now, if only I had a better block in place. Don't get me wrong, I will be happy with where I'm at for a while but if I had it to do over again, I'd save my pennies for another year and go with a Dart block or R block.

I'm still mulling between the 347 and a 351w based build. I have a build list for a stock block 347, but I'd want to have a stronger block for the same reason you listed. One day I might want to go faster. I really think I might end up going the 351w route (408 or 427) because I can get relatively easy access to motors through my work.

One piece of advice after a quick scan of your parts list; I would recommend doing just the rear sway bar and focusing the cash for the front sway bar on your other parts. These cars do well with an upgraded rear sway bar, but the front sway bar is pretty much good to go as-is. Some people who go with a bigger front sway bar end up going back to stock because the stiffer front sway bar can cause excess understeer. It may not be a problem if you do mostly casual driving, but it could show its face in spirited back road driving or competition driving. I researched whether or not to upgrade the front bar on mine a few years back and decided against it after reading the opinions of some experienced racers. I am still running the stock front sway bar on mine. The front sway bar bushings you already have will make a nice improvement, so I'd just stick with that for now and see how you like it.

This might be the biggest reason I haven't bought them yet. I wanted to see how the car felt once I got the springs and dampeners in, and man does it feel WAY different with just the rear shocks in. I'll probably just find a bigger rear bar and get them powdercoated to match. Looking at your car really has me wanting to get my springs powdercoated as well (they're currently dark H&R blue, I'm thinking Rio Red to match the calipers). I think when I get the suspension in, I will probably be saving for a paint job and enjoy driving it (and fixing what stock parts break since it's easier to convince the wife to let me upgrade when stuff is broken)... and shopping for used parts. Other than that, I don't know where to go next after the suspension. That was the hardest part for me since there are so many parts that have to be done at once.

Edited by Psychorugby

• Moderators

I'm probably jinxing it by writing this, but it looks like I might be installing the majority of the suspension and brake parts this weekend! I ordered the rear rotors and pads, but they won't be in until the first week of May. So it looks like I will be rolling around with new fronts and rusted up rears for a little while. I might not get the rear installed until I get to the new house. If I have to pull the axles to install the Cobra kit, then I may as well install new gears... and get the rear end powdercoated while it's all apart.

Sounds like a winning plan! If you're pulling the axles you might as well do it all at once. I popped my rear end open to reseal the cover and it pained me to look at the stock 3.08s in there and just leaving them :(

• Moderators
Sounds like a winning plan! If you're pulling the axles you might as well do it all at once. I popped my rear end open to reseal the cover and it pained me to look at the stock 3.08s in there and just leaving them :(

Just as it will pain me to leave the rusted rear brakes on the car another six months... but I'd rather do it once and do it right. At that point, I might start the "Dan mod" as F8L calls it since the rear end will be out.

• Moderators

Well, this weekend did not go according to plan as I suspected it wouldn't. As with every other time my friend and I have gotten off work on a Friday so we could have three days to tear into the car, stuff came up, leaving ua only one day to work on the car.. and that isn't enough to disassemble, clean, paint, and install everything. I guess I am just going to continue buying parts and storing them up. I joked in the beginning about an Overhaulin' or West Coast Customs style delivery of every part and that may actually come to fruition. Assuming I can't work on it until I get to the the new house in five to six months, I will be ordering stuff for the rear end since we have to pull the axles to install the Cobra rear brake brackets.

Here are pictures as she sat today. The first few are to show the various shades of red the car is showing after nearly 20 years since Ford painted it, and the last two are to show the "before" measurements for the suspension.

4419DB17-0A84-4B44-B7FE-8DD6C31049D6-11111-00000897FF400BFE_zpsa28659c2.jpg

E4BCDE25-4AF0-40DC-85A2-FF73465A7C1F-11111-00000897F678A567_zpsc3934f86.jpg

5B4B1700-4618-4A20-B9AA-A332591FF40C-11111-0000089804D80FA3_zps31228f5b.jpg

08B2E032-00F5-4BE9-BDFF-1FA04FD90B51-11111-0000089810DFBDC7_zps1844c74f.jpg

Front:

DB4F874C-D5A8-4705-9A99-B4747FAD325B-11111-0000089807A4E43E_zps5165fcda.jpg

Rear:

29682CE1-EB5C-4ABA-B694-612E54CBC564-11111-000008980B186DA5_zps5d008af1.jpg

Holy crap man, I didn't fully realize the level of fading this car had until these pics. I'm somewhat used to seeing laser red faded, but I don't think I've ever seen rio red faded this much lol.

• Moderators
Holy crap man, I didn't fully realize the level of fading this car had until these pics. I'm somewhat used to seeing laser red faded, but I don't think I've ever seen rio red faded this much lol.

All the metal body parts seem to polish up pretty good. The tops of the doors are pretty shot. The plastic parts on the other hand are beyond repair. That's what sitting in the Florida sun for the last ten years will do though.

If anyone does bodywork and paint, I might entertain flying you in to teach me to work on this thing.

Edited by Psychorugby

• Moderators

Lucked into a 351w block (and heads and misc other crap) for $150. If everything goes well, I should pick it up this weekend. Nothing ever goes to plan though.

• Moderators
Nice score on the 351! Gonna build it up stroker or keep it close to stock cubeS?

Stroking it! I really want to go 427, but may stick to 408. It's going to be a long road.

Pictures!

Bottom of the block (can't flip it over until I get a stand that isn't missing pieces):

null_zpse76ddf9f.jpg

Cylinder wall:

null_zps4e463c4b.jpg

Heads (I'll be selling these if anyone wants them):

null_zpsdb2604f0.jpg

Box of pistons (scrapping or selling), oil pump, EGR line, brand new distributor, and MAF:

null_zpsac5376ea.jpg

Fuel line stuff:

null_zps2de56fa6.jpg

Suspension goodies:

null_zps5cc5e4de.jpg

null_zpsd193be24.jpg

Rotors, pads, front control arms, rear upper and lower control arms:

null_zps2c460a42.jpg

Front calipers:

null_zps28a9818f.jpg

• Moderators
Damn son! You're all set up! Get to installing =p

Gonna wait to get the rear end parts, then install everything at once at the new house probably. Gonna be like Overhaulin'!!

• Moderators
All good stuff! Are those 10th anniversary calipers or powder coated non-10th?

That windsor is gonna kick so much ass!

Powder coated to match Rio Red. I still have to get the rears done.

Need some 31 spline axles, traction-lok, 3.55 gears, and Cobra brackets and then let the games begin!

Shooting for at least 600hp at the fly! That should be nice and scary in a convertible!

Idk if I saw but make sure you get some good as chassis stiffening mods! There's a g9od thread in suspension that talks about subframe connectors and matrix subframes. Itd be worth it to look it up!

• Moderators
Idk if I saw but make sure you get some good as chassis stiffening mods! There's a g9od thread in suspension that talks about subframe connectors and matrix subframes. Itd be worth it to look it up!

First post is my living list of mods. I'm going with full length subframes (maybe matrix), 4 point roll bar, and torque boxes. Just haven't gotten there yet since I buy all my stuff with my "allowance."

First post is my living list of mods. I'm going with full length subframes (maybe matrix), 4 point roll bar, and torque boxes. Just haven't gotten there yet since I buy all my stuff with my "allowance."

Allowance? You sound like me... Only way I'm aloud to drop coin is if the part I'm replacing legitimately breaks. lol

Sent from my secretary!!!

• Moderators
Allowance? You sound like me... Only way I'm aloud to drop coin is if the part I'm replacing legitimately breaks. lol

If something breaks, I usually don't have too much of a problem convincing my wife to let me upgrade while fixing it. I started hiding $200/month from myself for fun money back when I was dating my now wife. I never stopped the automatic transfer of that money, so it's my car "allowance." It's really cool that she somewhat supports me, but $200/month doesn't go very far.

If something breaks, I usually don't have too much of a problem convincing my wife to let me upgrade while fixing it. I started hiding $200/month from myself for fun money back when I was dating my now wife. I never stopped the automatic transfer of that money, so it's my car "allowance." It's really cool that she somewhat supports me, but $200/month doesn't go very far.

$200/month goes farther than my $50/month.

I definitely understand having a wife to contend with when buying car parts, luckily there is no set allowance for me... moreso a look of disgust when she tells me another package came, lol. She gets over it though, it's the only expensive thing I do. I buy clothes only when they are so worn out that they will no longer stay on, I'm not into golfing or sports, I only drink a few beers a week, no gambling, etc. etc. so she lets it go ;)

• Moderators
I definitely understand having a wife to contend with when buying car parts, luckily there is no set allowance for me... moreso a look of disgust when she tells me another package came, lol. She gets over it though, it's the only expensive thing I do. I buy clothes only when they are so worn out that they will no longer stay on, I'm not into golfing or sports, I only drink a few beers a week, no gambling, etc. etc. so she lets it go ;)

Mine had a similar revelation the other night. She says (after going with me to pick up the 351), "I think it's time for a new piece of jewelry."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, I do" Then something comes up about our cruise last year or vacation or something and I say,

"How much did I buy on the cruise last year?

"Nothing, A couple of bottles of liquor?"

"And how much did you get?"

"A watch.. earrings,,, necklace,,, purse... have fun with your car parts!"

She gives me the disgusted looks all the time about the car(s), but now that she's traded in her fun car, she seems to take a bit more interest in cars. She has asked me several times about how things work and such... and to build her a car when I am done with mine.

Edited by Psychorugby

• Moderators
no girl, no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

i get two paychecks a month from uncle sam labeled "cars parts"..to bad i have a loan to pay off..lol

She's no problem, and certainly one I like having around. She'll be a lot cooler with it once it "looks pretty" or I get it to a point where I can build her something. I'm trying to get it to at least daily driver status so I can sell my X5 and have some extra cash to play with.

• Moderators

Thinking of getting the rear control arms (currently metallic silver), springs (currently dark blue), sway bars (currently crap coated black and bigger front not purchased) powdercoated to match the calipers. Thoughts? Waste of money since you can't see any of it?

• Moderators

Drove to Orlando yesterday to meet Frank and pick up my new front bumper. I get a text today from my friend (who is storing my car and recently lost his job): "Sorry. I got bored."

4b8f528.jpg?1373491649

4b8f528.jpg?1373491667

4b8f528.jpg?1373491684

Edited by 95riosnake