fry

Project Mud Bug

My fiance and I love to go riding on his 4 wheeler (its a Yamaha Big Bear 400), but I wanted my own. So I bought a Yamaha Timberwolf 250 4wd, I paid $700 but it's got a freshly rebuilt motor with only a couple hours on it. My fiance brought it home yesterday so I got to ride it for a couple minutes in the dark but I get off work too late to ride it, so it'll have to sit until I get another job. I know you shouldn't start another project before you finish the first one, but my Mustang is almost where I need it to be (minus the body, obviously).

So just a quick over view of what I know it needs: new tires, right side foot peg, rear rack, and I'm gonna take the front bars off and repaint them. And of course the entire thing needs to be repainted or pink camo vinyl wrapped. :biggrin-new:

577599_10152702484690323_723226117_n.jpg

The guy I bought it from recovered the seat black for me, but it's kinda jacked up so I may get my friend to redo it for me later on.

Now it's off to work... 15 hour days for 7 days are gonna kill me...

haha what the hell is a thundercat? It was supposed to say timberwolf. I need to not work quite so many hours...

ITP mudlights for the new tires. After I put a set of those on my little Kawasaki Bayou 250 that thing was nearly impossible to get stuck, and that was only 2 wheel drive. I need to get some property ou in the country so I can start riding again

matt

ITP mudlights for the new tires. After I put a set of those on my little Kawasaki Bayou 250 that thing was nearly impossible to get stuck, and that was only 2 wheel drive. I need to get some property ou in the country so I can start riding again

matt

haha my fiance told me the exact same tires to get lol. I gotta finish up the last two things on the stang, ignition & fuel, then I'll probably look into buying some tires for it. The ones on there are so dry rotted and old! Yamaha does make a Thundercat but it's like a sport bike or something, I guess I just got confused or something. I can't wait to start doing work on it though, it'll be fun to work or something other than a mustang or a yogurt machine for a change!

I think I'd rather get the racks and stuff powder coated, that'd be so awesome! It's needs a lot of cosmetic work, juuuuussttttt like my car...

Eh, with a quad though, if you make it too pretty you'll be too worried about messing it up rather than just having fun riding it. Powder coat on the racks would be good because that stuff is really durable. I wouldn't go much further than vinyl wrapping the plastics like you mentioned, if you get into a full-on restoration you won't want to ride it for fear of scratching all its beauty! lol

Another thing you could do is plasti-dip the wheels so they'll match. Quick and easy mod there. Nice stagger with those deep dish rears btw! ;)

haha yeah, I'm not gonna go over board and make it look like a show 4wheeler. Idk if that's a real thing lol. I'd just like it to look decent. I was thinking about the same thing with the wheels.

Sunk it in the creek, drove it right out. haha I didn't get deep enough for the exhaust to go under but if it wouldn't been any deeper I would've been ducked. Little baby 4wheeler is badass! Even with the flat, dry rotted tires. I decided I definitely don't need to waste any time making it amazing looking cause I was beatin that thing like a red headed step child, and we were just playin around haha.

Yeahh, there's not much point to prettyin' it up if it's going to be covered in mud all the time lol. I'd be more worried about getting some decent brake pads that won't disappear after a couple mudding runs. The tires are a must too.

This is my 2x4 rancher with it's old wheels/tires... They were a bit too bit, but so much better than stockers.

mymudder003.jpg

I know I abandoned this thread, but the 4 wheeler is actually coming along really nicely. I took everything apart and sanded the hell out of it, covered it with heavy rusted primer, then painted it with flat black enamel. I let it sit for 6 months til I got laid off and finally had time to put it back together. I have a 70-80 hour a week job now, but I'm still finding time to work on it.

All that's left is repainting the wheels, getting a back rack and headlights and taillights. I thought about getting a new body (the plastic pieces) since mine is all broke up but I'm not gonna go that far with it. I'm just gonna paint it dark green and be done with it. I still gotta get tires but the donor mustang gets first priority, then the jeep tires get second. Too many toys, too many projects. I'll post pictures when it stops raining.