Psychorugby

Heavy Horse Garage (and House)

• Moderators

Trying to think of ideas for my new [house and] garage that should be done around September/October. Here is the lower level floorplan:

Sonoma1_zpsd95a1797.pngSonoma2_zps22102777.png

You can see it is a little awkward since part of the garage is tandem. My original thought was to put a four post lift in the tandem section to park the Mustangs on top of each other (it would leave about 30" of walk way to get back to the hot water heater and utility sink if I ever put one in) and use the [blue] add-on garage as my workshop. I would basically line the walls with upper/lower cabinets and have a room for detailing cars or blowing motors apart to work on.

Things to think about - all 4 of my cars (1966 Mustang GT, 1995 Mustang GT, 2008 BMW X5, and 2010 Jag XF) must fit in the garage; chest freezer (might actually fit in the utility/laundry room); two bikes; I have a 6' Craftsman work bench, 26" rolling tool box, 33 gallon compressor, power tools that I have never really organized very well; I need at least one engine stand for tearing apart the 5.0. Ceilings are going to be between 9'4" and 9'6", but I plan to ask the foreman to do what he can to make them closer to 10'0" for lift clearance.

Here are my ideas so far:

GarageIdeas_zps0a8de54c.png

i would extend the blue section farther back. now is the time to do it. make it like 30' deep. it will square the house off more and allow for more workspace.

• Moderators
i would extend the blue section farther back. now is the time to do it. make it like 30' deep. it will square the house off more and allow for more workspace.

I tried. They won't do it. Something about a window on the second floor that would make them have to completely redo the blue prints. Pretty sure it was BS and I will end up knocking down the wall later on down the road.

Edited by Psychorugby

I tried. They won't do it. Something about a window on the second floor that would make them have to completely redo the blue prints. Pretty sure it was BS and I will end up knocking down the wall later on down the road.

Dont see a second floor detail but if you have a window on that side extending the garage most likely wont work as the roof line from the extended garage area might interfere. So it might not have been BS just a thought as I have no blueprint to look at lol

What is stopping you from bringing the wall for the primary garage and the guest bedroom out the extra 9'4"? Then you could square the family room off, and have a bigger garage with a nice workshop in the back. This is me thinking about what I would like though, because I would love to be able to fit a Bridgeport, a 13" lathe, a surface grinder, and a OD grinder in my garage, along with my projects. Even as it looks now, It will be a killer garage with plenty of room for what you need. Any opportunity for outbuildings?

My garage is 22'X22', and it is way too small. With the machinery and other stuff that I have crammed in there (south bend 9" lathe, tube bender, 2 40"rollers with side cabinets, 1 26" roller, parts washer and 1 4X8 work bench) I can fit my mustang in there and have a little bit of room to work around it. There is no way I could pull an engine in there and work on it. lol

EDIT*** i took to long to reply, disregard everything above^^^^ A man can dream though

• Moderators
Dont see a second floor detail but if you have a window on that side extending the garage most likely wont work as the roof line from the extended garage area might interfere. So it might not have been BS just a thought as I have no blueprint to look at lol

They said almost these exact words. I believed them right up until I saw one of the elevations had windows with a roofline below them. I understand it's not a custom home, so I ceased my fighting there. Hell, I'm going from a small 2 car garage to a pretty big 4 car, so there's not much to argue about.

Edited the first post for the second floor just to brag I guess... and with my rudimentary ideas.

Even as it looks now, It will be a killer garage with plenty of room for what you need. Any opportunity for outbuildings?

I don't know if that is possible due to HOA stuff. I will have my shed with all the lawn and garden equipment in it, so none of that is taking up space in the garage..

Edited by Psychorugby

Yup now that I see the print of the second floor they are cottect roofline would make you 86 that window in bedroom 4 or relocate it rearward. All of which means new prints for the dummies at your cost lol.

BTW love the bump out on the front of the game room, nice detail.

What is stopping you from bringing the wall for the primary garage and the guest bedroom out the extra 9'4"? Then you could square the family room off, and have a bigger garage with a nice workshop in the back.

EDIT*** i took to long to reply, disregard everything above^^^^ A man can dream though

Read my prior post

• Moderators
Yup now that I see the print of the second floor they are cottect roofline would make you 86 that window in bedroom 4 or relocate it rearward. All of which means new prints for the dummies at your cost lol.

BTW love the bump out on the front of the game room, nice detail.

That bump out actually is even cooler from the outside since it forms the entryway:

SonomaExteriorC_zps2cb7b966.png

i think you've pretty much already maximized your space. going to be a nice house, that's for sure. the garage is going to be awesome.

• Moderators
i think you've pretty much already maximized your space. going to be a nice house, that's for sure. the garage is going to be awesome.

Just trying to think of anything cool I can claim I "need" or ideas for organization. I swear I would pay someone to make my tool boxes functional.

10' finished ceilings in the garage right? That should be enough to store the mustangs on with a 4 post. Might limit you on height if you plan on using it to do work but you should be ok.

IMO 12' finished ceiling would be ideal!

Ill agree 12-14 but with were hes putting the lift he wont have much of a choice in finished height as its going to be dictated by the main floor plan being the second story gameroom is above that section. The better bet would be to put the lift in the add on garage and request a 14' exterior wall. Still may run into problems with the window in bedtoom 4 but if he buys the framer and his crew a few coffees they shouldnt have a problem relocating that window rearward in the bedroom. Thats if there isnt any duct work to contend with on that outside wall and they can jive the roof line without any problems. From what I can see its definitely doable. I know thats exactly how I would do it.

Ill agree 12-14 but with were hes putting the lift he wont have much of a choice in finished height as its going to be dictated by the main floor plan being the second story gameroom is above that section. The better bet would be to put the lift in the add on garage and request a 14' exterior wall. Still may run into problems with the window in bedtoom 4 but if he buys the framer and his crew a few coffees they shouldnt have a problem relocating that window rearward in the bedroom. Thats if there isnt any duct work to contend with on that outside wall and they can jive the roof line without any problems. From what I can see its definitely doable. I know thats exactly how I would do it.

Completely agree, exactly what I was going to suggest at first until I started reading how he was having issues with the architect and such.

• Moderators

Tried this already haha. My very first plan was to put the lift in the add-on garage, but they won't alter the height of the ceiling by enough to take the garage door out of the height equation. According to a few online calculators I've tried, to get two Mustangs on/under the lift, I'll need about 9'6" ceilings. I think with a few coffees and donuts to the foreman, I might be able to get closer to 10'0" finished ceilings.

• Moderators

I didn't even need to buy coffee and donuts for the construction supervisor. I called him this morning and explained why I needed ceilings at least 2" taller than they typically build, and found out he is a car guy too (70 Chevelle SS396). He said he would do his best to get the guy on the earth mover to be a little heavy handed when digging out the garage, as the garage is typically sunk 4" lower than the rest of the house.

I didn't even need to buy coffee and donuts for the construction supervisor. I called him this morning and explained why I needed ceilings at least 2" taller than they typically build, and found out he is a car guy too (70 Chevelle SS396). He said he would do his best to get the guy on the earth mover to be a little heavy handed when digging out the garage, as the garage is typically sunk 4" lower than the rest of the house.

That's pretty awesome! lol

Sent from my secretary!!!

• Moderators
You should do a photo log or build thread of new house being built. Just saying, we like pictures and I love watching houses come together.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Here is the lot shortly after we purchased:

19b8856.jpg

The plat map once it came out of permitting (back yard is not quite as big in person due to retention ponds and easements):

19b8856.jpg

Foundation laid out for plumbing work:

19b8856.jpg

• Moderators
Love watching construction! Subscribing

Me too. We've been waiting over a month for it to get this far because it got stuck in permitting with the County. Looking forward to studs going up so I can sneak the speaker wiring, attic flooring, and landscape wiring in LOL.

Just note that you will want that opt door on the side of the garage, I ended up putting one on the rear and one on the side (which my wife said were both a complete waste) and they prove to be invaluable

There are simply times when you don't want to raise a whole garage door or use the house main entrance just to go in and out

One thing I wish I had done was have water installed into the garage, a sink to wash up and a place to hook up a hose would have been great but now that everything is finished it would be a major pain to add

• Moderators
Just note that you will want that opt door on the side of the garage, I ended up putting one on the rear and one on the side (which my wife said were both a complete waste) and they prove to be invaluable

There are simply times when you don't want to raise a whole garage door or use the house main entrance just to go in and out

One thing I wish I had done was have water installed into the garage, a sink to wash up and a place to hook up a hose would have been great but now that everything is finished it would be a major pain to add

Sadly, I already passed on the side garage door. They wanted $1,100 to put it in, and I viewed it as taking up wall space for cabinets and tools. My old house didn't have one and I survived. My parents' old house down here had one, and all it did was serve as a way for me and my sister to sneak out of the house haha.

In lieu of a water softner next to the water heater (circle in the left corner of the tandem garage), I had them rough in plumbing for a utility sink. A sink in the garage is one of the greatest things ever. Oddly, I had a hard time convincing my wife that she didn't want me trapsing through the house to wash off in the laundry room.

good call on the sink. i also have to agree with you that a door can be a waste. my parents garage has one and i think we've used it twice in going on 15 years. theres always something in front of it because we need the space. most of the time its the generator.

good call on the sink. i also have to agree with you that a door can be a waste. my parents garage has one and i think we've used it twice in going on 15 years. theres always something in front of it because we need the space. most of the time its the generator.

We have a side door and my dad uses it to its full advantage. But our garage is detached so the side door is usually the main access point to the garage. I think though if its detached then you have to have a side door aside from the main door so basically what I'm saying is useless

• Moderators

New pictures as of last Saturday. Looks like we're ready for concrete (it may have been done by the time I am writing this).

The lot and footprint:

19b8856.jpg

The garage(!!):

19b8856.jpg

• Moderators

More updates. Cinder block was delivered, so we might have exterior walls by this weekend. It also looks like the garage is >4 inches lower than rest of the house like they told me. Fingers crossed that is the case, because that is about the only thing keeping me from a lift.

19b8856.jpg

More updates. Cinder block was delivered, so we might have exterior walls by this weekend. It also looks like the garage is >4 inches lower than rest of the house like they told me. Fingers crossed that is the case, because that is about the only thing keeping me from a lift.

19b8856.jpg

Hopefully so! A lift would be badass

• Moderators
Hopefully so! A lift would be badass

The foreman is a car guy, so when I talked to him he understood why I needed extra headroom. Using the Wikipedia heights of my Mustangs, and the online calculators, I needed 9'4". The garage is supposed to be sunken about 4 inches, leaving about a 9'8" ceiling, which is technically enough room. The garage looked to be sunken about 6 inches in spots, so I definitely have enough height. The trick is if I have enough width since the water heater and garage sink are going where I wanted the lift.

I love watching houses get built.

Same here! I can't wait to start sneaking the speaker wiring in, and flooring the attics on the weekends. Still trying to think of other things I want to get done myself while it's being built.

• Moderators

This thing is going to fly up! We have our "pre-construction meeting" tomorrow. I'm not sure what this entails since they have very obviously started construction. I just hope that garage floor is sunken in enough for a lift!

Hopefully the guy felt your vibe to sink it in! Chances are they'll start having different trades in at once so that's why the meeting is tomorrow before there's a bunch of crews on site in each others way

• Moderators
Hopefully the guy felt your vibe to sink it in! Chances are they'll start having different trades in at once so that's why the meeting is tomorrow before there's a bunch of crews on site in each others way

That's my guess as well, but we were told this meeting was supposed to happen before the slab was poured. The house next door to us didn't have a roof last weekend and it's on now, so this is going to go pretty quickly unless we hit hiccups. Hurricane season is here and all (we have a tropical storm heading here already). Once they get some studs up, I need to run speaker wire and I have no idea what to get.

I guess this thread has gone beyond designing the interior of my garage.

• Moderators

They were supposed to pour the lintels this past Thursday, but thanks to TS Andrea, that didn't happen. They should be pouring them today though. The lumber for the second floor and roof structure has been delivered already as well.

I measured the garage while I was out there. Assuming the height of the cinder block is where my ceiling will be, then the ceiling is at least 9'8" tall (I deducted a couple inches to be conservative). Hopefully that is tall enough for a 4 post lift with the 66 Mustang up top, and the 95 below. I'm a little disappointed in the add-on garage. There are still small parts of what would have been the exterior wall of the original garage separating the add-on and the rest. I guess they needed the support for the second floor (?), but it really makes the add-on feel like an afterthought. Maybe the builder intended the add-on garage to be like a shed, because that's what it feels like. No big deal, the add-on will be my "workshop" where all the cabinets and tool boxes live, so it's all good.

Edited by Steve@CJPP
double post