Psychorugby

Heavy Horse Garage (and House)

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

love the name...dorian gray for paint.  it's such an awesome pun

You know it has bothered me as to why I know that name... figured it just stuck with me because my neighbor's name is Dorian.  So now that you've said something, I looked it up and put my mind at ease.  Thank you, Oscar Wilde for giving me a paint color.

On 3/15/2016 at 3:41 PM, Psychorugby said:

You know it has bothered me as to why I know that name... figured it just stuck with me because my neighbor's name is Dorian.  So now that you've said something, I looked it up and put my mind at ease.  Thank you, Oscar Wilde for giving me a paint color.

I would have missed that also if you didn't post this!  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Sooooo...

There has been a very small addition to the house I hear? haha.

Haha. Yessir! A 9-month long project just came to fruition...

image.jpeg

• Moderators
6 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Haha now that might be the happiest baby I've seen in a long time. Congrats again sir!

Shes been exceptional; she's hardly screamed at all and we actually have to set alarms to wake her up to eat. 

5 hours ago, GearGambler said:

Congrats man!  

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, tony said:

congrats chris

Thanks @tony! ❤️

• Moderators
On 5/20/2016 at 0:41 PM, GTTRacing91PGT said:

Congrats!

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Tabres said:

Super cute, man!  Congrats!  I hope your wife is doing well?

I'm biased, so I am not going to disagree with you.  She is the most adorable thing I've ever laid eyes on.  My wife is doing great!  We all went out yesterday for a few hours to run errands; wife walked around cautiously, but steadily and baby didn't make a peep until we got home.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Prokiller said:

how was your first fathers day @Psychorugby?

Pretty good!  My wife got me pretty good by not saying anything all day, even when celebrating with her dad.  Then at like 1030PM she comes down with a card and gift (part birthday too), totally surprising me... and I think she may have cut some onions too.

• Moderators

With the baby finally here, nothing has happened to the poor car, and not much has happened to the garage either.  My spot in the garage has been occupied by a 1954 Remington Rand library card catalog for the last couple months:

4A5041DE-3933-47D9-AEA1-680069145C61_zps

It's mostly just sat there because it's too damn heavy to move at 350+ lbs.  I was hoping not to have to refinish it, but once I started pulling the tape off the drawers, it was plain that I would have to strip the whole thing down and redo it... which sucks to say the least.  I moved it inside last night just so I can get my car in the garage again this week hopefully.  That's a project for another time.  I got it to store my baseball card collection in, and that's not moving any time soon either.  A couple other things have to fall in place around the house before I start worrying about refinishing the piece.  The hard part was finding a card catalog that was made of unobtanium.

Yesterday my mom texted me asking if I was home because she had something to drop off.  I told her we'd be home in an hour or so, to which she replied she and Dad were waiting in our driveway.  Great.  Wife is all pissed off my parents are over unannounced, not feeling well, and the baby is screaming bloody murder.  We pull up at the house and there's a new tool box waiting on me!

DE3ACE6E-7FB5-46E5-93A1-9CA64B9A437C_zps

Happy birthday to me!  I hate that the timing was less than perfect since my wife yelled at me on the way inside to throw up, got Dad all self-conscious it was his fault so he just dropped it off and left.  I'll have to try to make it up Thursday when he and I go to Miami to pick up the IRS for the 95.

The ultimate plan is to get a second box like this one, build a frame around them, and get a matching butcher block top:

2016-06-27%2009_02_14-Garage%202%20-%20S

That sucks about the possible hurt feelings, I'm sure your dad will understand though. Those US General boxes are badass. By far one of the hidden treasures of HF, my dad has one and loves it (and he's a die hard made in USA purist usually). The future plans with two boxes are awesome... now you'll need to start buying tools to fill those bastards up! lol.

The card catalog will no doubt be a shit ton of work but it's gonna be one of those things that when it's done, you'll find yourself unexpectedly just sitting and admiring it for many years to come. My mom has restored a handful of late 1800s/early 1900s furniture over the years for their house and it always is more of a labor of love for the piece rather than something you can look at in normal practical terms regarding the time invested. You'll get around to it, and one day maybe your little rugrat (or a possible future second?) will grow up and be a baseball fan... then that card catalog will be like a damn treasure chest that dad occasionally lets her look through.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, 95riosnake said:

That sucks about the possible hurt feelings, I'm sure your dad will understand though. Those US General boxes are badass. By far one of the hidden treasures of HF, my dad has one and loves it (and he's a die hard made in USA purist usually). The future plans with two boxes are awesome... now you'll need to start buying tools to fill those bastards up! lol.

The funny thing is that no one seems to know where US General is made; they just assume it's foreign because it's from Harbor Freight.  I've seen rumblings that they could be made by Matco or Snap-on and rebranded.  Based on how sturdy the box is in comparison to my Craftsman (granted it is a bottom of the line Craftsman), I'd believe the rumblings.  Dad already asked what I was going to fill it with since I'd hung a bunch of stuff up and already had boxes.  I think the old Craftsman boxes will end up with household junk in them - caulk, electrical outlets, etc. - and the workbench will get filled with whatever.  I'd rather have too much space than not enough.

The card catalog will no doubt be a shit ton of work but it's gonna be one of those things that when it's done, you'll find yourself unexpectedly just sitting and admiring it for many years to come. My mom has restored a handful of late 1800s/early 1900s furniture over the years for their house and it always is more of a labor of love for the piece rather than something you can look at in normal practical terms regarding the time invested. You'll get around to it, and one day maybe your little rugrat (or a possible future second?) will grow up and be a baseball fan... then that card catalog will be like a damn treasure chest that dad occasionally lets her look through.

I'll have to pick your mom's brain through you as to how to refinish the catalog.  It's in pretty rough shape in spots.  My guess is I am going to have to soak it in industrial stripper to get the finish off since hand sanding with 400 grit did nothing but scuff it up.  I moved the catalog inside finally and will have to worry about it later.  That project kinda scares me.  Scarier still is that it won't even hold half of my baseball card collection.

• Moderators

Spent a little more time in the garage yesterday trying to get it all situated.  I've still got a long way to go, but it's getting there.  

Started out by assembling the new bench frame and paying it fit since I just kinda guesstimated the measurements based on my old bench.  I had to take the top and the bottom brace off the old one, but it worked!

A1C26AEB-36CA-4F16-985B-39546DF2B68F_zps

Got the old butcher block on the old frame to measure how much to cut off the new butcher block... and discovered I had to take the top front frame rail off the new bench to get the HF box under it.  I'll have to get legs for the HF boxes or figure out another way to lower them a 1/2" so I can get the frame rail back on there.  I don't do usually have anything super heavy on the bench so it should be fine for the time being.

1E5F7D7C-45B0-48BD-99EE-836FA8EF7B7A_zps

Slight problem due to cutting down the top and it being shorter than the frame... whoops:

A0798974-66CC-43C9-8B22-38B9E74E79CE_zps

Nothing a couple pocket screws couldn't handle though.  

BFF1E906-5352-4C94-B3E5-A713AF652D19_zps

I'll be cleaning up the rest of the garage after work this week as I get time off from baby duty.  I need to get Valentine back in the garage and get all of 50 Shades' parts organized and put away.

One HF box, and a 4 post lift away from fruition:

2016-06-27%2009_02_14-Garage%202%20-%20S

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

That's gonna be badass when you get both boxes in! Then you have to try and fill those bastards up lol.

I've got a super coupon that expires in October... problem is I do not have a wife that readily says, "go spend $370 on something you don't need."

• Moderators
On 7/25/2016 at 10:45 AM, Tabres said:

Very sweet setup!  Can't wait to see it done!

Me either!  It will be a long time until it is "done" though since that will require getting a lift so I can get the 66 out of the way... and redo the floors.

• Moderators

The bench area is done with the exception of reorganizing tools and putting some stuff away:

E873E13B-6345-4144-9678-736303783742_zps

I will need to add a support for the center of the long bench since I took off the front rail.  It bounces a little bit if you hit it.  The shelf above is begging for some lights too, but that will have to wait until I add another couple circuits in the garage.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Blackmage said:

you gonna do led lights under the shelving up above the work bench?

Probably.  It doesn't really need it with that pendant there though.  I have two cubicle LED fixtures that I stole from my last job that I might try to rig up, but I don't want cords everywhere.

The only issue I think you might run into using only the pendant for light is you may end up working in your shadow. You could probably hide the wires up inside the framing of the shelving and it would look pretty clean.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

The only issue I think you might run into using only the pendant for light is you may end up working in your shadow. You could probably hide the wires up inside the framing of the shelving and it would look pretty clean.

You're right.  I am going to try to wire up the stolen fixtures at some point (not sure I will be able to reach the switches)... failing that, I still have to find a spot to hang the Dazor task light... then there's always the overkill LEDs I want to install in the entire garage.

• Moderators

I've been working on a few ideas for the house... big ideas... like have to get an architect involved ideas.  We had my pool guy at work out to give us a quote a few months back.  It's about what I expected price-wise and is pretty damn cool design-wise.  

2C2D5906-B49C-44DF-8A05-551489CE14AE_zps

In that shot is a hint of another idea that has to be completed before the pool can even be seriously entertained.  I think I've mentioned here before wanting to build a lanai (back patio in FL) extension that doubled as a balcony for the master bedroom.  Through much thought and hand-wringing, I (we) decided to scale it back to just a lanai extension and maybe down the road converting it to a balcony.  I think Linda was a little more timid of having a giant hole cut in the master bedroom than I am.  Also, the expense of either a French door or a full wall of glass was daunting amirite @95riosnake??  I sent this rendering off to the architect a while back and he is starting on it this week finally.  For reference we currently have the 8'x11' part of the L shape under roof and are looking to add the 8'x40' section:

7D9483BD-86EF-4B07-AB8E-1BFB753792FF_zps

FA33DB11-AABC-471A-9E55-6055EAE2CE1B_zps

This will probably mean the pool is on hold a couple of years, but the little one is about that far away from actually being able to use it anyway!  We've got a couple other things we might do in the meantime - fence and landscape one side of the backyard to hide the road that runs along side our house.

In smaller project news, I cleaned up the garage a bit last week, and hung my new 20" Air King fan.  This thing is amazing!

EA1E92E8-A7F1-40D6-86C8-788794B2B7F9_zps

2E9691A5-FB8C-4791-8CC8-CDCDEB1E5DE5_zps

Haha yep, by that rendering the window to your master looks to be about ~9' wide, so you'd be into about the same size french door I just had to buy, to the tune of $6k :blink: That's a hard purchase to make, especially when you'd be adding it on top of the cost of the rest of that project. It shouldn't be too crazy to convert it to a balcony down the road, and will be an easier chunk of work/money to digest at that point in comparison to adding it to an already major project. Of course given that you have stucco, you could always frame the opening smaller and go with a standard width door (two 18" wide side lights added $2k to the price of my door) to keep costs down, but who ever really wants a smaller door or window lol.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

Haha yep, by that rendering the window to your master looks to be about ~9' wide, so you'd be into about the same size french door I just had to buy, to the tune of $6k :blink: That's a hard purchase to make, especially when you'd be adding it on top of the cost of the rest of that project. It shouldn't be too crazy to convert it to a balcony down the road, and will be an easier chunk of work/money to digest at that point in comparison to adding it to an already major project. Of course given that you have stucco, you could always frame the opening smaller and go with a standard width door (two 18" wide side lights added $2k to the price of my door) to keep costs down, but who ever really wants a smaller door or window lol.

Good eye!  It's 10' edge to edge on those three windows.  I'd probably go with a 12080 sliding glass door with the lock in the middle for that wall of glass look if we did it.  Fortunately, the second story is stucco over OSB, so it's a bit cheaper than the first floor where it's stucco over block.

Sliding glass would be a bit more affordable, I think it was a grand or two cheaper for sliding when we priced our door. Of course it'd still be a pretty big door but it might not be too horrible.

What I meant as far as the advantage of stucco is to be able to make any framing changes blend into the exterior. With 30 yr old brick on my house, it's basically impossible to change anything and have it blend in. There are a couple places I'd love to add exterior windows where there aren't any but the problem lies in how to trim out the window to match the other openings which have bricks laid as the sills at the bottom and such. So we would either have to have openings that have non-brick trim and don't match, or add non-brick trim to every exterior window on the first floor... neither of which are appealing options lol.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, 95riosnake said:

There are a couple places I'd love to add exterior windows where there aren't any but the problem lies in how to trim out the window to match the other openings which have bricks laid as the sills at the bottom and such. So we would either have to have openings that have non-brick trim and don't match, or add non-brick trim to every exterior window on the first floor... neither of which are appealing options lol.

Can you save any of the brick you're knocking out to be the new trim?

1 hour ago, Psychorugby said:

Can you save any of the brick you're knocking out to be the new trim?

Maybe, there's also half a pallet of unused bricks I found behind the shed that I could use. I suppose it might be possible to piece something together with some patience. Thanks for getting the expensive gears turning in my head again :banging: lol

• Moderators
1 minute ago, 95riosnake said:

Thanks for getting the expensive gears turning in my head again :banging: lol

Just trying to keep your Anderson rep's kids in college.