SVTurbo 98

Teksid timing guide dowel upgrade

A little while back I was getting my car tuned and it started making some horrible noises after a dyno pull. After I got it home, I pulled the passenger side valve cover off and noticed the timing chain had a crazy amount of slack in it so I thought it was the timing tensioner that failed. Once I pulled the timing cover off, I saw exactly what happened and it was the timing guide dowel that the guide pivots on was broken. Luckily the guide didn't fall off the tensioner or I would have lost timing and crunched some valves. Apparently, ford uses a 6mm screw in style dowel on the teksid blocks compared to the 8mm press in dowel on the iron/boss blocks (03/04 cobra). From what I've read you can usually get away with the 6mm dowel in the teksid until you upgrade to heavy duty valve springs to compensate for bigger cams. A two step is also really hard on the dowels.

Here's a pic of the slack in the timing chain

IMG_0157_zps9a858cea.jpg

And here you can see the broken dowel

IMG_0159_zps1de8405b.jpg

Luckily I wasn't the first person to have this problem and as of last year there is an upgrade. A guy on ModFords (rtusnake) had the same thing happen to him and decided to make upgraded dowels that are 8mm vs the stock 6mm. I also found another guy on ModFords (JamesHell, owner of Cobra Engineering) who sells a fixture for this upgrade so it can be done with a regular drill and without having to take it to the machine shop to get the dowels drilled perfectly straight. I decided to contact both guys and ordered the dowels and fixture.

Here's a pic of a stock dowel vs. the 8mm dowel on the right

IMG_0252_zpsbac8dc3e.jpg

And the fixture that bolts to the existing timing cover holes. It has the correct size guides for the drill bit and the tap which are easily swapped back and forth. James also includes the drill bit and tap so it's pretty dummy proof. The only thing is I just had to measure the depth of the existing dowel hole and make sure I didn't drill any deeper than the hole already was.

IMG_0253_zpsfc2da798.jpg

BTW I would be lying if I wasn't intimidated at first by this whole process. Knowing I could ruin the block if I screwed up was definitely on my mind. Most of the people that have done this upgrade have done it with a bare block outside of the car so that was another challenge. I also didn't want to take the timing chains off in fear of not putting them back on right. Luckily the fixture fix behind the chains without a problem so I didn't have to. I'm sure I could've taken them off and put them back on exactly how they came off but it was one less thing I had to worry about screwing up so I chose not to. I just taped up the area around the oil pan and oil pump so no metal flake found there way in there. I also taped up the timing chains and under the fixture and used grease for the drill and tap to catch shavings.

Heres a pic of the fixture in place after I drilled the passenger side dowel

IMG_0307_zps313ebb66.jpg

The driver side was a little trickier as far as catching metal shavings because there was a gap behind the fixture. I basically just shoved a piece of tape behind the fixture with the sticky side up which worked well combined with the grease on the bit and tap. After the drilling and tapping, I put a little bit of red locktite on the dowels and put them in.

IMG_0310_zps38900114.jpg

IMG_0308_zpsc9ba5cae.jpg

I had to take the timing guides to a machine shop to get the holes slightly opened up with a 23/64" drill bit but after that I just reinstalled the timing set, double checked the timing and everything looked good.

IMG_0313_zps3af96f66.jpg

IMG_0316_zpsb3597c83.jpg

I unbolted the drivers side valve cover but left it in place because I thought I was going to have to remove the hydro boost setup to get it off but all I had to remove was the throttle cable, clutch cable and the oil dipstick tube and it lifted right off. I reinstalled the timing cover making sure to add a dab of rtv in the necessary spots. I replaced both valve cover gaskets because they seemed to stretch and didn't want to stay in the groove. Also reinstalled the pulleys and got a new arp bolt for the harmonic balancer since the other bolt was tty.

IMG_0318_zps337acdd7.jpg

IMG_0328_zps6a67a23f.jpg

IMG_0330_zps3c6bba1a.jpg

IMG_0333_zpscbddce38.jpg

Reinstalled the intake, coils, wires, radiator....and hotside for the turbo

IMG_0342_zps7e8a3397.jpg

IMG_0347_zps7458ee1d.jpg

Turbo, downpipe, cold pipe

IMG_0348_zps09a67feb.jpg

Turbo blanket, radiator hoses, etc.

IMG_0359_zpsa134d45d.jpg

IMG_0363_zpsaefdd263.jpg

...and done. Here's a little idling vid after I got it running while "burping" the cooling system

th_IMG_0360_zps6af8dbfb.jpg

Thanks to Michael and James, we can now fix the weakest part of the teksid block. The process was really easy and I would recommend doing this upgrade if you are starting a fresh teksid build or even if you already have a built teksid. I got lucky that my timing guide stayed in place keeping enough tension on the chain to keep it from jumping teeth as it could've been really bad. Now back to my tuner to finish the e85 tune.

oh my fap

so jealous, what intake mani is that?

nvm, just trolled you and found out my self. super nice man, I am totally jealous

Edited by 1997cobra

This upgrade/mod has only been around for about a year and I didn't know about it either until mine broke. Before Rtusnake made the dowels, if yours broke, you were basically sol and had to replace them with stock dowels and hope they didn't break again.

So how much were the new dowels? And whats the plate for? Added insurance i guess.

The dowels were $58 shipped for the pair. The purpose of the plate is so I can drill and tap the holes perfectly straight using a regular drill instead of taking the block to the machine shop. It has two different sized guides that swap back and forth..one is sized for the drill bit and the other for the tap. They are perfectly centered on the existing holes in the block so it makes the whole process dummy proof...unless you drill too deep.

Gotcha. Yeah, the regular dowels are $20 a piece and apparently are known to break. Ive never heard of this before though but since im building a teksid ill go with the added security. I definitely dont need that plate if its just to keep the drill bit straight. lol

Gotcha. Yeah, the regular dowels are $20 a piece and apparently are known to break. Ive never heard of this before though but since im building a teksid ill go with the added security. I definitely dont need that plate if its just to keep the drill bit straight. lol

Yeah you don't need the plate if you can take your block to a machine shop and have it drilled. Just keep in mind, the hole has to be perfectly straight or it will cause problems. I wouldn't try to free hand it or you could end up having to send it off to helicoil the boss to fix it. BLK_03 on modfords tried to use a hand drill/tap before the fixture was made and drilled one of the holes crooked and had to have it repaired. He also broke 2 of the stock dowels on his TT build before he upgraded so it's not uncommon for them to break. It's definitely cheap insurance considering what could happen if you broke one and the guide fell off the tensioner.

Could I get contact info to order this kit? Thanks! Nice write up

Sorry for the late reply...I ordered the pair of dowels from 'rtusnake' on modfords and the fixture came from 'jameshell' on modfords. Michael, 'rtusnake', had a batch of the dowel made and sells them for $58 shipped. James, 'jameshell' owner of cobra engineering, designed the fixture and sells it for $110 plus shipping. If you decide you don't want to keep the fixture, James will refund you $75 after you return it.

Sorry for the late reply...I ordered the pair of dowels from 'rtusnake' on modfords and the fixture came from 'jameshell' on modfords. Michael, 'rtusnake', had a batch of the dowel made and sells them for $58 shipped. James, 'jameshell' owner of cobra engineering, designed the fixture and sells it for $110 plus shipping. If you decide you don't want to keep the fixture, James will refund you $75 after you return it.

No problem and thanks. Meant to write back that I reread your post again and found what I was looking for and have already contacted rtusnake about the dowels. I must admit 58 bucks for two dowels are expensive but i'm installing a bigger cam and it's either 58 dollars now or break something and could be hundreds later so I'm going with the 58 dollars now. I will also rent that tool. No need as I see it to use it again so no need to buy it. Thank you for all the info. :clap2: