Gallows

Gallows 97 Cobra SOLD 2015-08-06

Some of you have probably seen this on other boards but for members of the SN95 Source here is my Cobra thread.

I bought my 97 Cobra in April of 2005 and started off with a stock car other than a K&N air filter and 98 Cobra wheels. I added a Hurst shifter, 4:10 gears , Flowmaster American Thunder catback, custom H pipe and Eibach lowering springs and wider [at the time] 275-40-17's for the rear. Life was good and I wasn't going to do anything else. Yeah right... I picked up a short runner intake and IMRC deletes from na_svt and the following summer I picked up a Vortech V2SQ and put that on. Non intercooled and a crappy tune left me less than impressed so the following spring I installed a larger fuel pump. #42 injectors, intercooler and a dyno tune that netted me 452rwhp and 378tq that lasted to fall 2010.

IMG_0841-1.jpg

Not bad for a stock engine. Over the winter of 2010/2011my ECU lost its tune and a trip over to the dyno was required to get it running again so I decided to gather parts for a "C" head swap and a N/A build. I also installed Maximum Motorsports adjustable lower control arms and a panhard bar tightening up the rear end. This past winter the ECU lost its tune again and the car was pouring fuel into the engine and out the exhaust. Another trip to the dyno got it running well again making the same hp. The following day after a 3-4 pull I heard a rattling/knocking and saw shiny particles when I dumped the oil. I ended up spinning a couple of bearings so I was undecided on finding an engine or doing a build. A friend of my father contacted me who had a 4V out of an 03 Aviator with 10,000 miles for $1300. I grabbed it and installed my FR500 intake and ditched the Vortech and installed a Magnaflow catback less tails which is how the car sits now.

IMG_3045.jpgstephens.png

Mod List

Engine:

03 Aviator long block

FR500 intake with 96-98 style lid ported & polished by na_svt off of SVTP

1/2'' intake spacer by GMsux off of SVTP

JLT CAI

ARH Header with 1-3/4" Primaries, 2-1/2" Merge Collectors, 2 1/2 X-Pipe (With Cats)

JLT oil separator

COP swap harness from The Red Monster off of SVTP

Trans:

Stock T45/clutch

Pro 5.0 shifter

Rear:

99 IRS with FTBR bushings

03 Cobra 31 spline carrier/axles

MM front IRS brace

rear Billit Flow brace

Interior:

Florida 5.0 dash gauge bezel

Autometer water temp/oil pressure gauges

UPR Billet shifter trim ring

Redline??? Cobra floor mats ____________________________________

Started off with a well used 99 IRS that was upgraded with 31 spline axles and carrier, 4:56 gears, Billitflow rear brace and Maximum Motorsports front cross member brace.

IRS2012a.jpg

Ordered Full Tilt Boogie Racing FT5000Complete IRS Bushing Kit Includes FT 1000, FT 1100, FT 1200, FT 1300, FT 1500, FT 1600 and FT 1700 and FT1800 IRS Bumpsteer kit with upgraded toe links.

IRS2012b.jpg

FTBR FT6100 Cross Axis Joints

IRS2012c.jpg

Which brought the the IRS to this point

IRS4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

What it looked like after the swap

201295R5.jpg

Present look

2012FR500a.jpg

Other to do things include

- T56 swap, 26 spline clutch & MGW shifter

- 03 console

- Speed Hut gauges to replace the Autometer gauges

- Sub frame connectors

- March 00R pulley's and damper

- FRPP IRS diff cover

- Redline shifter & ebrake boots

- BF Goodrich G-Force TA 295/35/18's for the rear

Edited by Gallows

Looking good! Nice to see another IRS-swapped SN on here! :thumb:

Thanks! Of all the mods I have done to the car since I bought it in 07, the IRS is my favorite.

nice ! those are good numbers for a n/a 4 valve still with stock cams? very nice!

Thanks! Stock cams. I am planning on doing the pulley's and damper next month and I hope to see 350 rwhp.

What size tires are those?

Tapatalk made me do it!

Toyo 315/30/18's

Favorite shot right here!!!!! Moneyyyyy

Thanks!

DAT SPOILER! man I wish my car looked half as good as this one. Good job man

Thanks!

Nice list of things to do as well, that t56 swap should be fun! make sure you get the right crossmember and don't have to custom fab one, 1997cobra knows all about that =p

DAT SPOILER! man I wish my car looked half as good as this one. Good job man

Told you to get this spoiler Don! This shit is the truth!!

Heres a 3/4 ass shot

2012FR500c3.jpg

i wanna an irs sooo bad, lol. for 2 reasons...to have a sick ass exhaust like hat, and to get a lil bit of camber :)

sweet build dude!!!

Yup... Time to dump the 285's and go bigger!

Tapatalk made me do it!

I actually have a set of 295's in the garage to go one when the DR's are toast.

Nice list of things to do as well, that t56 swap should be fun! make sure you get the right crossmember and don't have to custom fab one, 1997cobra knows all about that =p

I knew about the C/M. I will have other questions once the swap gets closer.

i wanna an irs sooo bad, lol. for 2 reasons...to have a sick ass exhaust like hat, and to get a lil bit of camber :)

sweet build dude!!!

Thanks Tony! The IRS and exhaust definitely looks more appealing and makes the car so much more responsive on the road.

There is no correct crossmember, besides mine. This is not a joke either, you are either a) drill your frame, or b) making a bomb ass crossmember like I did

temptation...

jealous of your intake also, good god I need to get to work

Edited by 1997cobra

The spoilers pop up on eBay occasionally. I personally will be keeping mine as long as I own the car. FR500 intakes also show up. You just need to be patient.

With a 4 post lift it was a full days work to pull the sra and get the IRS in with another half day doing the little things. With the FTBR parts it was well worth it.

With a 4 post lift it was a full days work to pull the sra and get the IRS in with another half day doing the little things. With the FTBR parts it was well worth it.
well if ya ever wanna go back to sra i'll by your irs!! like that day, lol

well if ya ever wanna go back to sra i'll by your irs!! like that day, lol

Lol. I'll keep your offer in mind.

how well do those toyo's hold up? traction in the rain?

did you dyno before the fr500 intake?

I have only been out in the rain with them twice and didn't find them too bad. Far better then my old BFG DR's.

Prior to my current setup I was on my stock engine with a Vortech. After I cooked that everything went in at once so no "stock" numbers.

I'm so jealous. how much did you pay for that intake? did you keep the flutters in or take them out? what rpm range do you have them open and close at?

I was looking at a brand new one for 2k and said fuck that..

Kept the butterfly's with my 97 IMRC controler. Paid $1200 or $1300 and got this

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

FR5005.jpg

FR5007.jpg

FR5006.jpg

also picked up a 1/2" spacer

FR500Spacer1.jpg

Another thing to keep in mind is that there were two different lids offered. One for 96-98's which mine is. It allows you to use your TB, brackets and cables and the 99+ lid.

Edited by Gallows

Nice progress...I love the intake....I've been tempted to swap to an fr500 intake but just haven't pulled the trigger yet....love the irs as well

It's been six years from only going to do lowering springs and a shifter to where it is now. Grab the intake while they are still reasonably priced. I expect to see the prices go back up as they get scarce in the years to come.

every now and then I see them pop up for around 5-800 but everytime they pop up its the middle of the pay period and my gf has already drained me.

I'm not sure if the fr500 or just a ported C intake is my best bet for power, I know those things are more of a high rpm intake.

Mine isn't sitting on the ideal engine at the moment. I still have my Teskid block and crank and a set of 03 heads for a build but I have other projects that need to be taken car of first.

I feel you. I keep changing my mind on what i'm going to do with the car so its pretty much getting nowhere. right now the plan is p1sc, but thats subject to change in the next few days, lol.

I started of with the basic Vortech and sent them my computer which came back with a chip$$$ The car was dead over 5500rpm. Tried a SCT and Amazon tuning and lets say their so called service left a lot to be desired$$$ IAT's were hot enough to cook small animals on my intake so I picked up a Paxton intercooler$$$ Got the IAT's dropped but then started adding bigger injectors and MAF to make more power$$$ Over one winter of storage my computer acted up on spring start up and the injectors were pouring enough gas down the cylinders for it to come out of the exhaust. A trip on the trailer to the shop got it sorted out$$$ Unloaded it off of the trailer and took it for a short drive and spun a couple of bearings and that ended my s/c days$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Got tired of forking money out so I went back to a simpler setup and with the 4:56's I really don't miss the extra hp.

Sounds like you needed to get a tune by somebody on a dyno, and not via mail in. Unless you're working with somebody specific over the phone/Internet and data logging, I don't know why you would buy a cookie cutter chip. Seems like most of that could have been fixed or even avoided all together with a knowledgeable tuner.

Tapatalk made me do it!

damn, I have never really ever heard of anybody with issues like that before. why not have just gotten a dyno tune to begin with?

Closest dyno that I knew of at the time was several hundred miles away.

Sounds like you needed to get a tune by somebody on a dyno, and not via mail in. Unless you're working with somebody specific over the phone/Internet and data logging, I don't know why you would buy a cookie cutter chip. Seems like most of that could have been fixed or even avoided all together with a knowledgeable tuner.

Tapatalk made me do it!

The s/c was over a three year period. Not knowing better the ecu was sent to Vortech who sent it back with a chip. After that I tried Amazon which failed then I found a dyno a couple hundred miles away and the tuner did get things running properly then eventually it went boom.