Miles Rucker

My targa top gt

So I've had this gt for a few years now. And me and a couple buddies got bored and decided to make a removable targe for my car.

We started with beefing up the subframe connectors that are the car.

We actually went and got the convertible latches to lock the top in place. So we cut the top portion of a verts windshield and welding it in my car. Now I do need a windshield. Lol.

It is coming along we'll. still have some fab work to do.

My place it to have a two tops

The first one being the original roof to be put in place for like the winter.

And I also want to make one out of a leather kind of like the bed covers for trucks. That way I can roll up and drive

I will keep the updates coming. Not my dd so not in a super rush

Then we got cutting. post-560-1388183845141_thumb.jpg

post-560-13881838445804_thumb.jpg

post-560-13881838446395_thumb.jpg

post-560-13881838447488_thumb.jpg

post-560-13881838448434_thumb.jpg

post-560-13881838448932_thumb.jpg

post-560-13881838449376_thumb.jpg

post-560-13881838449883_thumb.jpg

post-560-13881838450387_thumb.jpg

I've seen the kits also. But I looked and looked and everywhere was a dead end on the company. So I'm doing it myself. It hasn't been that bad yet. The main problem right now it figuring out the rear latch part. Not sure on the direction I want to go with it. I was thinking like the corvettes have just a stud and a screw thing to bolt the rear down

awesome. i like this better than the kit because it goes all the way to the 1/4 window.

This! The ones I've seen online have some funny thing going on where they don't kick back All the way to the quarters.

not sure how i feel about the look of it... doesnt seem to flow well with the car. none the less can't wait to see it finished!

I can see where you're coming from. I think if he threw a wing on it it would look awesome!

Posted via Topify using Android

That looks awesome man! I've always wanted to T-tops on mine. Wonder if your techniques here could apply to that? In theory, all it would require is to reinforce the center and cut/seal to accommodate the glass pieces.

That looks awesome man! I've always wanted to T-tops on mine. Wonder if your techniques here could apply to that? In theory, all it would require is to reinforce the center and cut/seal to accommodate the glass pieces.
and then seal perfectly to keep leaks out as well as be strong enough to resist twisting to create leaks. Should be easy.

Ok haven't really work on the car lately. But we think about using hood latches on the rear. The main thing we are concerned about it sealing the edges like we're the side meet the pillars the front don't look to hard the rear is another thing tho [ATTACH]2907[/ATTACH]

post-560-13881838740862_thumb.jpg

I would probably make the back just a simple peg/hole style mount that you would slide in first, then latch the front. Make some kind of static-mount for the rear that after it is in place the front latches in perfectly.

could do that as well. When I build my stereo cover boards a lot of times I do the mount like I described. All you would need too do is too take the piece you will eventually mount to the back of the removable roof section and clamp it up to the back portion of the roof and then drill some holes through both pieces. Now take a piece of rod the same size as the hole and insert it into the piece you clamped on and weld it into place. Now weld that whole piece onto the roof panel and if you have it lined up right you start with the roof panel by dropping the back in place being sure to hit the rod into the hole you drilled, now drop the front in place and latch it. As long as the front is locked in place the back will not come out. Other nice thing is short of some holes in the back roof panel and the rod/knobs sticking out of the removable piece there really isn't any big/ugly mounting system. Put some rubber on the to top to seal it and you should be ok.

The only reason i would do this is so when Vin Diesel and i are chasing an 18 wheeler down the highway i can throw it off with reckless abandon! (i hope everyone understands this fast and furious reference...:)

put the lock on the rear of the top. slide pins in the front. it would give less drag in the front of windshield area to fly off. those aerocatch pins would work provided they dont wear out easily. they can be flush mounted. a weather seal would keep it flush, sealed and weather out... im using aircraft logic. i would weld the pins in the removable top and your groove molded in the windshield structure. if the top comes off it doesnt have a tacky pin lock protruding. the rear can have an underlapping lip. i even think a brake slide pin could work in reamed out steel nut. weld steel; nut into windshield frame. it would look like a vert when the top is down. the only periodical maintenance would be grease in the nut to prevent rust and friction.

Edited by SniveTroll

Not I. I hate the seats. I like the dash but I want black door panels and black seats and delete the rear seats

I agree, I got tired of my red interior as well. The red is just too much in your face IMO.

Anyway; looks like your project is coming along nicely, slow but nice for sure. Keep us updated with the process :)