ttocs

The momstangs rebuild

I decided to go ahead and start installing the suspension stuff while I wait for a few days warm enough to paint.  Started on the rear and holy crap I didn't think it would be THAT hard. Had to step away from the car and take the dog for a walk twice as I was ready to break something. I decided to make a video with some friends titled "How I feel after spending 3 hours trying to get one bolt to spin" to make something good out of as I am sure we all know how that feels. I think it will be a kind of comedy-drama but should be good. every bolt on that thing fought a really good fight including the stuff holding the air bags on. The bolts holding them on were buried in a pocket that I have NO idea how they accessed to tighten. From what I can guess they held the nut somehow and then just twisted the bag up from the bottom. I ended up drilling an access hole above it in the trunk floor on each side. Then it was just a fun game of trying to hit the nut I could not see... The very last bold holding the lowers on I had to heat more then I have any other bolt prior but after that and a lot of cursing at it, it broke. it was nice to get all the new stuff installed finally. The shockwave kit comes with a new lower bracket mount that you have to take the stock bracket out to put on. It bolts on to the lower control arm bolt and give a nice solid mount. There were some minor modification needed. Two small cuts on very top of the shock tower and then the extra material was folded back(by BANKGIDA BANGIDA BANGIDA with the BFH I named tony after all the use it got on this) After that the lower pieces of metal had to be clearanced to make space and if you look closely I also put some door edge guard on it so that if it does touch it will not be rubbing metal. If you look behind the air shock you can see the rod that moves the ride height sensor and the wiring going to it. Not sure if I like where I mounted the air line yet I might move it back so there isn't such a curve leading up to it but with the extra hose around it, it is protected if it does start to rub.

IMG_20151222_010412787.jpg

Here you can also see the ridetech lower strongarm. Its not the cheapest but it could be the nicest I have seen.

IMG_20151222_010248926.jpg

I also put a coat of POR15 inside the wheel well while I had everything pulled out of it.  Now the car has been undercoated from front/rear.

got the K in today just as it was too cold/dark to do much more.  probably over did it only being 3 days out of the hospital again but I really want to start putting it back together now.  I still need to square it up and then I can start the control arms, sway bar and then figure out what I need to modify to get the ride height sensors to read on the tubular control arms.  I don't really want to drill a hole and hopefully welding a mounting tab is not that hard.  

IMG_20160103_175619411.jpg

I needed to modify the ridetech ride height sensor to work with the new M&M parts.  Thankfully a simple result was found by drilling a hole through the control arm and then threading the rod with two pieces of vac line as a bushing between them.  You can also see the Steeda sway bar and Steeda billet sway bar mounts I took the time to have annodized and I am so glad I did as they look great in black.

IMG_20160106_153838297.jpg

after that the Shockwave kit was a simple bolt in although since I have taken this pic I also moved the speed sensor wire so that it will be away from the bag.

IMG_20160107_020837378.jpg

It was a very complete kit with the perfect spacers needed and just a super well engineered piece.

IMG_20160107_023233795.jpg

The kit come complete with these CC plates.  They were originally coated with a dull grey coating that I took off and then polished.  I am still hoping josh can help me put the ridetech logo back on as getting the hard coat off and then polishing it it came off.  I will also be able to adjust the strut by dialing in the knob in the middle.

IMG_20160107_021050260.jpg

and what can I say I might have become a little bit of a fanboy and why not this hoodie is keeping me warm on late night wrenching lately.   I get more done at night but I have become nocturnal now...

IMG_20160106_163957582.jpg

That hoodie rocks!!!!! Lol

I have not owned a hoodie since before high school I think but its quickly becoming my fav for late night wrenching.  They didn't cheap out on their clothing either and you can tell its a thick/warm blanket wrapped around you.

its been too darn cold to do much in the garage lately but I did manage to finally get all the parts I needed to drill/tap the lower intake so that I could move the iat sender down stream from the meth nozzle.  I didn't think it would be that thick but because of the curve inside there were lots of shavings....  But its done!

IMG_20160116_175411437_1.jpg

its been too darn cold to do much in the garage lately but I did manage to finally get all the parts I needed to drill/tap the lower intake so that I could move the iat sender down stream from the meth nozzle.  I didn't think it would be that thick but because of the curve inside there were lots of shavings....  But its done!

IMG_20160116_175411437_1.jpg

@ttocs Haha, I had a blast drilling/tapping that hole on my GT40 lower intake.  I finally got it done all nice and neat, bolted it on the car, and snapped the corner of the intake off... So, I got pissed, pulled the intake off, and bought a Holley.   :lol:

I had wondered about that as well, not sure if there is any differences in tuning for this but it worked on the fox bodies for a lot of years.  In this location it will see the intake temp drop when the meth hits to allow the computer to compensate for it.  I have heard people leave them where they are by the maf but then if the meth does not hit and the computer still thinks it is, problems happen.

Coming right along man. Looks like you're just going down your checklist and knocking things out.

When I worked at the dealership, a lot of times when I had to install something like a Mopar trailer hitch, it would call for some bolts to be installed, coming down through an existing hole in the frame. The hitch kits would come with a little tool to install those bolts. It was basically a little coiled wire with a long tail on it, kind of like a helicoil. You'd fish this wire through some holes, thread your bolt on the end and pull it through. Take the little wire tool off, install your nut and tighten it down. You can see one in this video.

https://youtu.be/ook_1XXWoA0

Maybe they used something like that to install these bolts you talk about?

I went to a one day suspension seminar in October, sponsored by Ride Tech. They had some of their products on display, and a few representatives to talk and answer questions. I was super impressed with it all. Really nice stuff and nice knowledgeable people. I'm not surprised to see you speak highly of the quality of these parts.

And hoodies are probably in the top five greatest things of all time. I'd wear one all day every day year round if I didn't live in freakin Texas. Here lately since it hasn't been hot as balls I've even been sleeping in one. Hood up and everything. It's great.

Coming right along man. Looks like you're just going down your checklist and knocking things out.

When I worked at the dealership, a lot of times when I had to install something like a Mopar trailer hitch, it would call for some bolts to be installed, coming down through an existing hole in the frame. The hitch kits would come with a little tool to install those bolts. It was basically a little coiled wire with a long tail on it, kind of like a helicoil. You'd fish this wire through some holes, thread your bolt on the end and pull it through. Take the little wire tool off, install your nut and tighten it down. You can see one in this video.

I went to a one day suspension seminar in October, sponsored by Ride Tech. They had some of their products on display, and a few representatives to talk and answer questions. I was super impressed with it all. Really nice stuff and nice knowledgeable people. I'm not surprised to see you speak highly of the quality of these parts.

And hoodies are probably in the top five greatest things of all time. I'd wear one all day every day year round if I didn't live in freakin Texas. Here lately since it hasn't been hot as balls I've even been sleeping in one. Hood up and everything. It's great.

Was that the one in bowling green?  I wanted to do that even though I am so green to suspension it might have been a waste.  Hoping to try and make it down this year.

Well the one I went to was in Dallas, but I believe they stopped in BG as well. The Ron Sutton workshop. Yeah, try to go next year. I'm no expert with all that stuff either, but he's a real good teacher. Explains stuff really well and easy to understand and will answer any question you have. He said this first year was more of a general overview of everything, the coming years will be more specific. Brakes one year, shock valving a next, aero the next, etc. I don't think the order is decided yet, but you get the idea.

Well the one I went to was in Dallas, but I believe they stopped in BG as well. The Ron Sutton workshop. Yeah, try to go next year. I'm no expert with all that stuff either, but he's a real good teacher. Explains stuff really well and easy to understand and will answer any question you have. He said this first year was more of a general overview of everything, the coming years will be more specific. Brakes one year, shock valving a next, aero the next, etc. I don't think the order is decided yet, but you get the idea.

I think if you were to classify my by my suspension knowledge I would be squarely in the "suspension-tarded" group.  I don't even have a clue what I don't know yet...  But I would like to learn and that was why I wanted to swap everything out on my own this time.  Ridetech always comes to a local huge hot rod show with their scales and I have been dying to get it on those to start and then one of those workshops.

Today I planned on putting the X-pipe in. Figured no big deal just snag the two hangers and then the bolts in the collectors now that I modified the exhaust hanger to go through the safety loop right? nope.... Years ago when I did the side exhaust I happened across this magnaflow high flow catted X-pipe online for only $100. Didn't have a mark on it and at the time I needed to pass emissions in AZ. Now in Indiana I don't have emissions so I have played around with the idea of selling this one and going with an offroad pipe so I didn't want to modify this pipe if I could help it. Well first the emissions crap that comes off of it and goes back up to the engine bay wasn't going to be kept since all that jazz was already pulled out.

IMG_20160131_132009656.jpg

So after yanking the hose off I plugged the pipe by taking some smaller hose(safe for exhaust use) and cut a 3" piece that I could then jam into the pipe and then tighten the bolt into the hose to lock it in place and seal it off. Went to put the pipe back on and found that the metal pipe that I just plugged stuck out too much and was hitting the driveshaft safety loop. 

IMG_20160131_134349089.jpg

So after cutting that pipe shorter and again plugging it up with the hose/bolt then it finally went into place

IMG_20160131_152006390.jpg

those things are the best.  Boss and Western plows have the same things for putting the plow frames onto the frames of trucks.  i think we have a couple hundred down in our shop that we save.  you almost never use em, but when you need to, they are a life saver!

I went and dragged my gas tank out from where I had stuck it long ago to get it ready to install.  My local mustang buddy that I go to for advice said just to leave it alone and slap it in but I could not help but poke my head inside to make sure everything was good and glad I did.  Looks like some moisture got in there...

IMG_20160202_135811716.jpg

The fuel strainer at the bottom told the story

IMG_20160203_185249500.jpg

So I threw 4 gallons of white vinegar in the tank and some screws that I have been shaking around since yesterday and ordered a better pump(aeromotive).  I also dug out the tank cover and washed it off as it was really dirty.  I have never paid any attention to it before but have you ever noticed how damn ugly this thing is?

IMG_20160203_235729000.jpg

So that got me thinking what could be done to make it look better.  I thought about smoothing it out at the least to get rid of those lines but after a 10 min sanding session I realized that it would take some time to sand it down.  I thought about some filler but that also just seemed like no fun and still not sure what to do after.  Just keep it black but smooth or paint it to match the body?  I decided that I could put some old material for a previous project and its resin to use probably before the resin goes bad and get some more fresh stuff for that later.  I ,mean I have this old rag around why not use it?

IMG_20160203_235836103.jpg

I also dug out the tank cover and washed it off as it was really dirty.  I have never paid any attention to it before but have you ever noticed how damn ugly this thing is?

IMG_20160203_235729000.jpg

So that got me thinking what could be done to make it look better.  I thought about smoothing it out at the least to get rid of those lines but after a 10 min sanding session I realized that it would take some time to sand it down.  I thought about some filler but that also just seemed like no fun and still not sure what to do after.  Just keep it black but smooth or paint it to match the body?  I decided that I could put some old material for a previous project and its resin to use probably before the resin goes bad and get some more fresh stuff for that later.  I ,mean I have this old rag around why not use it?

IMG_20160203_235836103.jpg

OOOHHHH!!!!!   Carbon Fiber!  :drool

yup what started off as a crazy idea is now going to be done.  Can't make an omelette with out breaking a few eggs and the same is true here.  To prep it for the resin I first drilled a bunch of holes in it because the resin doesn't bond to plastic.  It will stick to it as it will stick to damn near anything but the holes allow the form to actually bond around/though the plastic piece so by wrapping it around the edges and then putting a light coat on the back it should make for a nice hold.  I then took a 60 grit sanding wheel and went over the whole surface to not only knock down and high points but also to get the top layer of crap off of it.

IMG_20160204_104221151.jpg

To finish the prep I will do what I saw on this video

not sure how far bloomington and louisville is but probably closer then that.  I was trying to make it up there last year for the Brown county ford show they have.  At least I think that what it was....  

bloomington is a straight 2 hrs now with i69 being a direct link.  My best friend from childhood lives up there and works as a produce buyer at a coop grocery store so I have a place to stay with a place to cook and to get food.  Last year I was sick the week of unfortunately.  I am hoping to make it again this year.

I was really confused for a minute and now I understand why.  I live in Bloomington, Illinois guys...  ;)   It's like 4 hours from Louisville and maybe a little over 3.5 from Evansville.

stick - yes, bond - no.  Its resin and like resin does it will stick to damn near anything and roughing up the surface and all the prep for it with the flame/alcohol will help it stick but I am pretty sure there is no chemical bond.  The holes going around the edges combined with wrapping it around the edges and finally a light coat on the back where the holes are should give a solid hold to the piece but I have to agree its all still in the testing phase till its hung and driven....

Today is one of those days my stomach is not letting me out to play.  While that sucks its actually the first time in a few weeks which is extremely rare that I don't have 2 or more per week so its also good at the same time.  Days like this when I am dying to go finish a project sometimes leaves me to wonder.  Today I considered what it would take to throw some carbon fiber fins on the bottom to integrate a diffuser into the cover and realized it would not be THAT hard of a project.  So the question is - how much more bad asser will that make it look and is it worth the delay?  I was liking the idea of some fast sanding/shaping a coat of clear and slapping it all together but if I had to wait for the sheets and to apply them it would obviously take a little more time....

I need to find some pics of the back bumper/gas tank cover area to figure out how I want them shaped.  I have never really liked the style that stick out and just end like an old caddy's tail fin I want something smoother with some curves on it.  Anyone have any pics of the back lower of their car?  I can get some 2mm thick sheets that I could possibly stack to make a 4mm thick to make the fins out of.  

forgive my crude drawing skills but this is what I am hoping to get.  The shaded areas were originally going to be left open till I remembered I have a nice silver grill material(hexagonal shaped holes) that I will put there just as an accent piece really but it should help to cover up the shape of the tank as well.

0cb6adef-e88f-450d-99ec-862c49aa1842.jpg

ffb7318e-91c0-4288-aa4f-404d8c58ae4a.jpg

Hopefully this is the last coat of resin curing now.  Its hard to get it to stick to the sides thick enough to be a sanded down smooth so there were some thin spots that this will hopefully fill.  The carbon fiber sheets hopefully will be here soon and I can start on the fins as I can't wait to see it all done.

IMG_20160211_143925765.jpg

So next question - how hard is it to get the tank straps off of the car to do something with?  I have not got under it to look yet and while this resin finishes curing that is my next project.

@ttocs you just gotta hammer the pins out and they fall off

I got the pin out and can't help but think that its gong to be difficult to put he pin in first and then try to fish the strap down between the fins and the grill material.    If anyone has any ideas of an easy way to accomplish this I am all ears.  I am considering welding a nut to one side so I can just throw the bolt in with a couple of turns and then on to the next one.  If anyone has a good idea to do this please let me

That looks excellent!  Great idea!  Very surprised no one has done this before now but I've never seen it!

Thanks for the compliments and like yourself I am a bit surprised there are not more people trying to make a diffuser let alone carbon fiber and integrated into the tank cover.  My dad was commenting on how good it looks on the '15 models a few weeks ago.  I have seen a few making them but not in the style I want  The only reason I honestly did it in CF rather then fiberglass(as it would probably be 1/3 the price) only because I had the materials for a different project I still want to do but it will be next year if I am lucky.  So rather then leave the resin to expire I decided to put it to use.  Its fun to be different and a little cutting edge when getting creative and as you can probably tell I pretty much get off on it.  I love it when someone asks me where I got a piece only to tell them that I made it

Where did you get your carbon fiber supplies

I have got all the supplies from ebay and they have damn near anything you need to do it all.  I almost got a resin infusion kit last year for another project.  The CF sheets in a size big enough to work were much more expensive then I wanted to pay but I was lucky to find what looks to be someone that either buys buildings or businesses to liquidate either the business or what was inside the building as the sheets were about 1/3 the price of the others.  I am just hoping that its something like this and not just some bad sheets..

I have got all the supplies from ebay and they have damn near anything you need to do it all.  I almost got a resin infusion kit last year for another project.  The CF sheets in a size big enough to work were much more expensive then I wanted to pay but I was lucky to find what looks to be someone that either buys buildings or businesses to liquidate either the business or what was inside the building as the sheets were about 1/3 the price of the others.  I am just hoping that its something like this and not just some bad sheets..

You weren't lying about the cost.  I figured it would be pricey but $300+ for a starter kit is a little steep.  I guess you gotta pay to play unless you find a deal like you have.

I got the sheets in and got to work.  I did a rough cut on the shape of the fins and then pressed the 2 2mm pieces together so I now have a 4mm piece.  After it cured I then took the time to make a wood form of the shape of the fins that I want and then copied that shape to the 5 fins that will get attached to the cover.  

IMG_20160227_022416134.jpg

i discovered while cutting this that it was real cf and its some tough shtuff as it melted this blade before I knew it.

IMG_20160226_152229949.jpg

IMG_20160228_135313228.jpg

happy to say its coming along nicely.

IMG_20160228_135327629.jpg

just got an interesting email.

Good afternoon! Thank you for thinking of Mishimoto! We look forward to growing a partnership with you. After reviewing your proposal we are excited to offer you an Associate Sponsorship position from Mishimoto. :)  "

discounted parts = :) , wishing I got this before I got their radiator not so much....