ttocs

The momstangs rebuild

6 hours ago, ttocs said:

Finally got it fired up tonight.  There is an exhaust leak I need to chase down and need to figure out why the oil and fuel pressure sensors are either reading incorrectly or what is going on and then hopefully we can time it better but for the first time in years it has fire....

Video or it didn't happen!;)

been chasing my tail and finally today I discovered it was because a ground on my starting batter had been pulled out of the compression terminal.  I have no idea how it could have happened short of it getting pulled out by the gas filler neck while putting the tank back on or something but because of this the ground wire was about 8 ft long, too long I guess.  After reconnecting it for the first time it started to fire.  It would start but not stay running for more then 4-5 secs.  We suspected the dist was a tooth off so we pulled #1 and did the TDC dance to set it and noticed while it was out that the plug showed way too much fuel.  At some point one of the tech support guys told me to set the fuel pressure on the software and gauge was 60 psi.  After some reading last night most of the recomendations I found said 40-50 psi so we tried it out and it smoothed it out some more.  suspecting that maybe the gas tank might be too low I ran out for another gallon of 93 and that helped it even more.  After some thought I want to go get 2 more gallons to be sure and while we were shutting things down we noticed that the PCV had popped out.  Now any time I have asked about the pcv in a supercharged setup I have got a different answer from the person before me and my friend helping me that knows more about motors then me said he had a similar set up and just connected the pcv to the boost line going to the manifold but it seemed strange to me to connect a valve that is supposed to let pressure out to a boost line and expect it to work but its easier to try his way and have a plan b ready.  Now I am just not sure what plan b is or should be....  What are you guys doing with the pcv on a supercharged motor?

I am still chasing my tail on my ignition wire power problem.  It has 12v on it while in the run/crank position as I can verify by simply turning the key with out pushing the clutch to actually kick the starter but as soon as the starter kicks that wire drops down to 8-9 volts and it resets the power on the system as if I have tuned the key off/on real fast.  I have not gone through every inch of my power and ground wires from the battery to the starter cleaning/tightening where needed and replacing many of the stock ground terminals as they had become corroded.  I could have just sanded them down but I already had gold ring terminals so I used them to ensure they were on fresh wire as well.

39240212102_cc267fe340_z.jpg

But that didn't matter.  I thought maybe what looked to be the stock 23 yr old starter had seen its prime but the new one cranks faster but the dash still flickers off/on.  

27625490299_254627982f_z.jpg

Didn't matter.  I thought maybe the grounding on it was dirty so I added a ground strap I had to a clean section of the frame but it didn't matter.

24475337387_dff8100c55_b.jpg

I thought that while there was no signs the wire was bad the stock power wire going to the starter might be too old and I already had enough 4 awg and the terminals so I replaced it but it didn't matter.

25531497038_c87af3fa7c_z.jpg

I decided to pull all the non-essential fuses in case they were pulling current for some reason and was amazed how hard it was to pull some of the maxi fuses out as some had pretty bad signs of corrosion.  The 4 40 amp fuses feed the ignition/starter circuits so it was possible that the dirtiest one was bad enough it created some resistance and was doing this and I was amazed when after they were cleaned up and replaced that the car for the first time cranked up and didn't make the dash flicker.  But really now dirty fuses!?

38582877625_2cde3c3392_z.jpg

It had toyed with me like this before where it acted normal right after I did something, and then the next day laughed and flickered again.  By this time I had been in the 10 degree garage for a few hours so I decided to put the charger on it and try it again today.  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it flickered AGAIN, I cursed AGAIN, and again walked away pondering how much easier it would be to part it out.  

I am going to replace the ignition switch even though it shows that its working perfectly fine as well as the fuses I cleaned up and get some contact cleaner to get inside the fuse box but otherwise I am really not even sure what to check now.  I spend a couple hours 2 nights ago flipping through my OEM wiring bible but I am really out of ideas now.  The only other thing I can think of is to run my own wire for the starter/ignition but not even sure about that........

The idle needs to come down some, the fuel pressure up a tad.  I shut it down because the AFR was off the chart but looking at the data it was starting to bring it down as I cut it off.  Oil pressure looked good so next step is to get it up to temp and then turn closed loop learning on to let it make more adjustments to self tune.  Its been nearly 6 years since it ran. 

• Like 3

Congratulations on getting it running!

I know it been a long road to this point.

Bet you're the most excited person on the planet now.

spent some more time with it running tonight and got it up to temp.  Everything looks good except AFR but I think I might have fingered that out after a little helpful reading.

Congrats Scott! Has to be a good feeling to finally fire it up again.