ttocs

The momstangs rebuild

Just threw the hood on today to see if the gaps were ok and we are good-to-go! Will talk to the body shop tomorrow too see if he wants the motor in/out for the core support repair and if not, drop it off tomorrow afternoon if he can take it. If not then I will get my bro's together and finally learn how to take out a motor! Nice to see it look like a car again with the hood on. Getting the fenders cut/aligned and the hood on straight between them felt like a major hurdle was passed after we layed the hood down today.post-61-13881839451174_thumb.jpg I would love to go out and get the filler and PBA and start on that portion of the project but damn holiday has all the specialty shops closed... Instead I am testing paint strippers to see if its ok on plastic/glass and how well it does on the auto paint. Wish I could do more today...

post-61-13881839449628_thumb.jpg

Was hoping the body shop would be slow and tell me to drop it off, of course they are busy. Went to pivco to get some filler/sanding blocks and then to harbor freight. All this work I have been wanting a tool car/dolly to have a place to put my tools while working and saw this came up on sale. Was $259, marked down to $150, $110 with coupon rated to hold 580 lbs and 5000 cu in of space.... post-61-13881839456436_thumb.jpgthen ground them down. Should I just throw a screw in the holes and then tach them to fill them or is there an better way? Now the fender is ready for stripping and some putty there to smooth it and no one will ever know now..... Damn maybe I should have frenched a power ant? Also curious if anyone has any experience with panel bonding adhesive? I want to get some really good epoxy to bond the shinoda chin and the S281 spoiler and license plate frame before I mold/smooth them all out. Napa was the only place that could get it and they wanted $65 fer the tube and $85 for the cheapest gun to expose/mix the epoxy. I don't mind paying that but want to be sure its the right stuff that isn't going to let up and cause the filler to crack.

post-61-1388183945291_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881839453603_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881839454239_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881839454879_thumb.jpg

I realized today that keyhole or not a hole in my trunk is just D - U - M DUM! :) I mean it could leak, a thief might jimmy the lock and break into it, and it looks like crap too! So I got rid of I today and while the putty is drying I can't tell you how disappointed I was to realize that was a composite piece when the cutting wheel hit it I WANT TO MAKE SPARKS!!! post-61-13881839464843_thumb.jpg

Some sanding, lightweight filler, more sanding, glazing puddy and yet some more and it looks much better.post-61-13881839488911_thumb.jpg The dark strip above the license plate area is where I am going to flush-mount the laser shifter, might smooth it in yet dunno... Some primer and a little more block sandind and it will look much better.

- - - Updated - - -

For some reason its acting up again and telling me that this pic is too large when I try to post it like the others.post-61-13881839489782_thumb.jpg

Some sanding, lightweight filler, more sanding, glazing puddy and yet some more and it looks much better.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3395[/ATTACH] The dark strip above the license plate area is where I am going to flush-mount the laser shifter, might smooth it in yet dunno... Some primer and a little more block sandind and it will look much better.

- - - Updated - - -

For some reason its acting up again and telling me that this pic is too large when I try to post it like the others.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3396[/ATTACH]

Looking good, I dig the shaved keyhole! What's a laser shifter?
Its a PC way of saying laser jammer with out pissing off the FCC which tends to frown on stuff made to "jam" other things. But now a shifter that's different! When the detector reads a laser reading it turns on some infra-red leds that flash in a certain sequence to "SHIFT" ;) the reading on the laser gun so it shows up as an err. Check your state if its legal, I know it is in mine and works. Was the last car in a bunch to go through a speed trap about 2 months ago. Every bit of the $$$ spent on this was worth it to see the cop turn around and shoot me from behind only to hear the rear shifter activate(front/rear of course).

- - - Updated - - -

Also decided to smooth-in the 3rd tail light. Can't have that thing sticking out like a sore thumb...

could not sleep so why not more bonding time? Here the 3rd tail light and the spoilers bonding adhesive is drying and there is a layer of putty drying around the license plate frame to smooth it out tomorrow. Once that line is gone then I can start to smooth in the laser shifter lense as well as the spoiler/decklid joint to look like one piece.post-61-13881839500515_thumb.jpg

so far it was not bad. The license plate frame is held on with 7 screws so after taking it apart and sanding the seem are I just put a bead of the bonding adhesive around the edges and around the screw holes and then tightened all the screws down. That is the first layer of putty drying, will need at least one light coat of lightweight filler and possibly some glazing putty but otherwise if I wanted too it could be ready for paint tonight/tomorrow so it could be a good weekend project if you can go with out the car for a couple of days.

Sorry to direct you to the cardomain page again but it keeps telling me the file is too big unless I make it postage size. I updated the page though. The top is done and ready for paint and came out great. The back side I still have some VERY small areas around the 3rd tail light to finish but its coming out well. Take my word for it the 3rd tail light and laser shifter lenses are in there and will be working. Hopefully the line between dark paint and a smoked lens will be hard to see. If you look close you can see the tape. I had to thin out the 3rd tail light to fit the contour but I am going to replace the incandescent bulbs with leds anyway. But needless to say, I love a nice SMOOTH ass..... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2395420/1994-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-2d/page-7/ Sorry again to send you there but I have some other stuff going on tonight I will try to sort this out later.

Primered and ready for paint post-61-13881839587413_thumb.jpg stopped by the shop too ensure the core support would fit and it will so he hopes to have it done this next week. Started to get some help together to pull the motor hopefully next weekend and start the engine bay fun.

post-61-13881839585738_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881839586441_thumb.jpg

Edited by ttocs

Can't wait to do more. Thinking about trying to move the door handle just down 4-5" so that it is actually in the concave section of the door that leads into the brake vent. Do something where the handle is flush with the outside of the car..... Might go check out some junkyards to see if I can find some handles that I think will work for the next project.

Yea I can't wait to start slingin color on it. I have a buddy coming by thurs to wire up the 220v outlet I need for the 60 gal compressor. I have the paint gun/filter picked out and really can't wait to make some test passes on the old fenders to get use to it. But I need your opinions on my headlights. Doing an HID retrofit and can't decide to paint the bezel black or the body color, green. Neither one is cleared so ignore that and the wiring as that will get tucked up out of the way. Whatcha thank? post-61-13881839596992_thumb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

and black, wouldn't let me post them with the green file too large.....post-61-13881839598087_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881839595509_thumb.jpg

post-61-13881839597739_thumb.jpg

well fml. Had a good weekend as far as my stomach is concerned but that came to an end today. I swear it knows when I am looking forward to doing something and just LOVES to put an end to any plans I have made. Last week thurs I had a buddy coming over to help wire the 220v outlet I needed for the 60 gal compressor I picked up as well as for extra power for the welder. Had to cancel that day as I felt like crap, so we rescheduled for today. I got the majority of it all done yesterday running the wires, drilling and cutting the holes so my buddy would really just have a few connections at the end at the panel. Woke up today and just started puking and could not stop. I sent a message to my buddy saying I had to cancel but he didn't get it. He showed up and went to work, I hope it wasn't a big deal for him but I could not help as I was upstairs puking.... So after 6 hrs of that I finally decided it was time to go in. The only good news about the day(other then hopefully he finished up the wiring) was that for the first time EVER(10 yrs trying) my dr admitted me to the hospital with out needing me to go to his office first. I hate the ER, its my own personal hell honestly so the past couple times we called him and he said to come into his office first. Not sure why he wants me in his office in horrible abdominal pain an constant throwing up as its not a pretty image while sitting in the waiting room but until today that is how he wanted to do it. Today I was amazed that my dr actually took my word for it for the first time and admitted me with out seeing me. ITs a huge help as when I get sick like this, I get worse when I have to travel and of course we drive past the hospital, almost 2x as far to go to my dr's office and then back to the hospital. I honestly cried when I heard he would as it not only meant less pain but that he actually trusted me. Hopefully we can do that again.

So then of course karma isn't done with yet. If she doesn't get to LOL and point 3 times a day I think she feels like she has failed for the day. Got admitted. Got the medicine flowing and starting to feel better and go figure 10 mins later my phone rings and its the media blaster telling me the bumper is done and came out great. 20 mins after that the body shop calls to tell me that the core support is done and I can get it as well... $20 says the catch can and line locks I ordered last week show up today.

FML!!!!

so what should have been a nice 3 hr job to install the condenser, rad, fan and overflow tank turned into a 3 day job. The 96 core supports rad mounts were about an inch to the pass side so I had to cut them off and weld them in place. had to make a spot for the lower mount since there wasn't one on the 96. I didn't like the way the upper bracket mount stuck up so far so I cut it off and welded a different piece to it that I will mount to the back of the core support. Going to mount the passenger side rad support the same way so that there isn't anything mmounted to the top of the core support so I can make a smooth cover later. For now though I can now start on getting the wiring for the wire tuck in order and the bumper mounted so I can line up the chin spoiler. That should keep me busy till I can pull the motor to start on smoothing that all out.16337858_large.jpg

That sucks about all the extra time installing the radiator and supporting parts, but isn't it so nice to have a welder now? Imagine realizing those changes needed to be done back when you didn't have a welder at hand. It really opens up so many more possibilities when you can just weld when you need to.

I remember when I was installing the FTBR bushings in my IRS cradle, I had to use a wire wheel bit in a hand drill to clean the rubber residue from the factory bushings out after I pressed them out. The wheel was just riveted onto the shaft that chucked into the drill and due to the tight fit and torque that was at play, it began spinning on the shaft. So after some MF'ing, I had a light bulb moment and flipped on my welder. Two tack welds later and I was back in business lol. Oddly enough that is one moment that really stands out for me when my welder was extra handy lol.

That sucks about all the extra time installing the radiator and supporting parts, but isn't it so nice to have a welder now? Imagine realizing those changes needed to be done back when you didn't have a welder at hand. It really opens up so many more possibilities when you can just weld when you need to.

I remember when I was installing the FTBR bushings in my IRS cradle, I had to use a wire wheel bit in a hand drill to clean the rubber residue from the factory bushings out after I pressed them out. The wheel was just riveted onto the shaft that chucked into the drill and due to the tight fit and torque that was at play, it began spinning on the shaft. So after some MF'ing, I had a light bulb moment and flipped on my welder. Two tack welds later and I was back in business lol. Oddly enough that is one moment that really stands out for me when my welder was extra handy lol.

I thought about that myself. I would not have got past step 1 on the rebuild if I didn't have the welder and its been nice to be able to do it to steel and aluminum now with the overflowtank. In the big scheme of things though I still blame the fact that karma heard me say "I want to learn to weld" and replied,"Oh really now I can help you out with that! Ask and you shall receive."