Sergmeister

Spec Flywheel: Aluminum or Steel?

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my clutch and flywheel on my 1998 V6 and I am planning on getting the stage 1 clutch kit from Spec. However, I'm still unsure of the flywheel if whether I should go with steel or aluminum. There is quite a price difference betweent the two and I'm leaning towards the aluminum one since I have the aluminum Underive Pulleys from BBK and the aluminum driveshaft from Ford Racing. Is there a big weight difference between the steel and aluminum ones? The part number for the steel one is: SF83S and the part number for the aluminum one is: SF83A. Thanks.

I think it's like(don't quote me on this) a 9lb difference. I'd go aluminum if you're doing anything performance related. The less rotating weight you gotta turn, the less you lose from engine to rearend.

Ehhh hang on a minute. I went from stock to aluminum flywheel on my 96 cobra with a blower and I'm not sure I would recommend it for a stockish v6.

The reason why is because yes, there is less rotational mass with the aluminum one, but that results in less mass to get off the line and aid in helping start the car from a stop. Even with 400+hp I had to slip the clutch and give it much more throttle to get it moving than the stock flywheel. I really doubt you will notice much performance gain, and like I said you will have to give it more gas/clutch modulation to get off the line. Its not a huge deal, but I did nearly stall out the first few times out after I made the swap.

I wouldn't say its worth the extra money personally, but good luck with your decision regardless.

I'm going with greg on this one. Coming from a V6 guy. Mine fully built is still rocking a heavy fly wheel because there is little added benefit until you have a blower.

We've all been there. I still am, so don't feel bad. The car you see in my signature met an untimely demise thanks to a redlight runner. Now I have some ugly mustang to roll around in. But it's for the passion of the hobby. The next turn of the wrench. That's what it's all about my friend.

We've all been there. I still am, so don't feel bad. The car you see in my signature met an untimely demise thanks to a redlight runner. Now I have some ugly mustang to roll around in. But it's for the passion of the hobby. The next turn of the wrench. That's what it's all about my friend.

How'd all that go man? Did you take it to court yet?

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but take it however you will. Why the fuck are you upgrading the clutch on a V6 if your broke? I understand some v6's can be done right. I have a few of number tews photos in my spank bank, but there is no reason you need to go with a spec VS a stock clutch that can be had off of rock auto for 150$

I wasn't even paying attention to the fact he was upgrading the clutch. My apologies. A stock replacement will hold you out over 300 horse man. Sometimes around the 400 range. I actually put a little more clutch than I need on my car. [MENTION=280]Schiffy[/MENTION], court date is the 20th. Just trying to get all of her garbage dropped because more evidence points the finger right at her running the light. Sorry to derail the thread.

Yes I have a stock application. I apologize if I wasn't specific. I just want to upgrade since my uncle, who is a mechanic, recommended that I get a stage one since it will last a lot longer than the stock one. I'm planning on upgrading the flywheel at the same time as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Just to add my .02 - I'm a fan of the RAM clutches / flywheels.

Billet vs Aluminum vs Stock really depends on the feel. the heavier it is, the more rotating mass is there. Lighter is less rotating mass. There's pros and cons for both depending on what you're doing with the car. Example - if you rev to 8k at the line and dump the clutch, you may want to soften the hit by going with an aluminum flywheel instead of the heavier billet steel. If you're racing you will want something SFI approved, road racers may want the weight savings, etc...

Well on the website it says they're both SFI approved. My car is not heavily modified just basic stuff but its not bone stock either. The general consensus is that I should go with steel since the aluminum one is more for the heavily modified applications like supercharged ones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4