jc179

Eaton M112 S/C

Hi

Just wanted to ask, are all M112 the same or are there different variants? Eg will only the ones from the 03/04 Cobra's work , or can one from a F150 lightning, or jaguar work? Some of the ones I've seen "look" like they have various lengths on the nose to support different pully setups.

Just thought I'd ask as I've been looking for one ....

thanks,

Jonathan

lol at the jag tech comment. but yes the ford eaton is the one your looking for. The M112 basically denotes the case size and displacement. different manufactures use different inlet and vac/boost port locations.

How too high is the lightning one? I mean would it clear a cobra hood or no hope in hell?

thanks for the tips to avoid picking up alien pieces of doo doo.

Jonathan

a normal eaton is like 5" tall, the lightning eaton is like 8 ft tall. instead of the throttle body and intake being on the side, it flips overs the top of the supercharger. just google it. you could use it but be prepared to have a cowl hood and cut it for the supercharger to stick through. you will never find a hood that will cover it.

post-89-13881839514548_thumb.jpg

post-89-13881839515123_thumb.jpg

Edited by copmagnet

Someone find me a Jag version... I have a Jag to put it on!

Here's a pic of when I was building my Lexus sc4.

The engine is a JDM 1uz-fe and the monster mounted on top is the Jag M112.

IIRC these were water cooled blower's and a bit of a bitch to work with in the end I just opt'd out for the M112 off of a cobra.

- - - Updated - - -

It really is alien technology.

post-40-13881839517731_thumb.jpg

• Moderators
Here's a pic of when I was building my Lexus sc4.

The engine is a JDM 1uz-fe and the monster mounted on top is the Jag M112.

IIRC these were water cooled blower's and a bit of a bitch to work with in the end I just opt'd out for the M112 off of a cobra.

- - - Updated - - -

It really is alien technology.

Do want! My wife would kill me... twice since it's her car lol.

• Moderators
It's still a pain in the ass with all the water lines and shit unless it already has all of it.

Now that I've looked, I think the M112 is for the older Jaguars. I have a 2010 XF; the supercharger looks completely different.

lol, yeah Cobra S/C it is then, that's way too big to fit in there, it must come apart in two pieces, as the part I saw was just the lower S/C w/out the intake portion on the top...

Damn, I might try that windstar intake for now ....

cheers

Jonathan

I say supercharge your v6, its very easy to weld up your own intake to mount it, and they make pretty nice power for being non-intercooled.

the swap can be done very cheap too. considering how much it would cost a v8 guy to do the swap.

Why are the V8 guys costing more do the M112 S/C setup? The Cobra03/04 are already a V8..

How cheap can a V6 guy do the swap for? I mean yes I'm cheap...lol.

Most of the M112 I've found are 650-900 depending on what it comes with. Any good sources for the cobra setup, ebay and car-part aren't the best places to look for this I think.

Too bad there isn't a "cheap" super charger than the M1112 Cobra one, I mean M62 or whatever off the GM3800 seems to be items-a-plenty around here...

cheers

Jonathan

EDIT: After some googling, it seems the V8 and Cobra V8 are different setups entirely... I see now.

Edited by jc179

Why are the V8 guys costing more do the M112 S/C setup? The Cobra03/04 are already a V8.. ,

we have to buy the intake, intercooler,aftercooler, lines, blah blah blah (basically turn out motors into a termi motor (or if SOHC have to buy a tork tech intake manifold "2k")

one guy on 3.7 or whatever the v6 mustang site is did it for a little under a grand. forum classifieds are your friends for used parts cheap.

Most of the M112 I've found are 650-900 depending on what it comes with. Any good sources for the cobra setup, ebay and car-part aren't the best places to look for this I think. you

keep your eyes open on SVTP, they pop up for 300$ every now and then, and the new classifieds on facebook (mod mustang performance page) has them pop up for as cheap as 100$

Too bad there isn't a "cheap" super charger than the M1112 Cobra one, I mean M62 or whatever off the GM3800 seems to be items-a-plenty around here...you

I believe you can do it with the m90 off the thunderbird also but it requires you to go a split port head or something.

cheers

Jonathan

EDIT: After some googling, it seems the V8 and Cobra V8 are different setups entirely... I see now.

yupp, answered.

Why are the V8 guys costing more do the M112 S/C setup? The Cobra03/04 are already a V8..

Most of the M112 I've found are 650-900 depending on what it comes with. Any good sources for the cobra setup, ebay and car-part aren't the best places to look for this I think.

Too bad there isn't a "cheap" super charger than the M1112 Cobra one, I mean M62 or whatever off the GM3800 seems to be items-a-plenty around here...

cheers

Jonathan

Right, I can use the M90 but need to swap the engine heads as I have the split port right now, I'd need to go for the one which isn't... that's always an option too.

I'll check SVTP classifieds and around here and there, maybe one day I'll get lucky to find one at a good price.

thanks, for all the help and info!

Jonathan

I think you can use an m90 in place of the m112 and do the same swap. its been a year or two since i read the threads on it. might be something to look into, as I have an m90 i'll sell to you for cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you can use an m90 in place of the m112 and do the same swap. its been a year or two since i read the threads on it. might be something to look into, as I have an m90 i'll sell to you for cheap.

None of the M112 applications will fit under a stock hood on a pushrod V6. Keep that in mind. Either way (Cobra or Lightning) you'll need a cowl or cut the hood.

The M112 on the V6 is cheaper compared to doing a V8 because the V8 guys usually want replace the lower intake and have a more OEM feel to the install.

The M90 and M112 car be made to work on the split port using the same style boxed upper. I fabbed up a Super Coupe M90 with air to air intercooler on a 'blank' boxed upper that I ended up cutting for use with the M112 off a Terminator. However, you need all of the Super Coupe plumbing to go with it.

If you pay more than $450-500 for a used Cobra M112 these days, you are getting ripped off. I've seen as low a $250 in good shape. Just watch for someone in a pinch or who already upgraded.

Great info , thanks for the update. I think I'm still going to go with the M112 if I ever find one. The M90 off the super coupe seems a little rare-ish, and if I was going to do that I would just yank the motor and take the whole thing I think.

Do you have any pictures of the box you made for the M90 setup?

cheers

Jonathan

Hey. Yes I have m112 on 4.2 v6. Get the m112 off the cobras and use a SSM plate if you don't want to make one. The blower is going to be difficult to fit under any hood. Check out my build thread under projects.

I did my engine set up for roughly 6k?

Sorry I don't check this site more often... It won't let me post from my computer...

Great info , thanks for the update. I think I'm still going to go with the M112 if I ever find one. The M90 off the super coupe seems a little rare-ish, and if I was going to do that I would just yank the motor and take the whole thing I think.

Do you have any pictures of the box you made for the M90 setup?

cheers

Jonathan

The boxed upper for the M90 is the same shape as the boxed upper for the M112 when used on the split port heads. It just has a different shape cut in it. The only difference is instead of cutting the large hole in the top plate to match the bottom of the M112, the hole is an oval at the back which matched up to the return pipe from the air to air intercooler. I'll have to look at old CDs to see if I have a pic still. There might be one posted on 3.8Mustang from about 8 years ago when I did it. I set it up right before the 2005 V6 Challenge in GA. I wasn't sure which motor set up I was gonna have done for the race.

Ok, found two pics from the M90 split port boxed upper. A great option if you want to run an air to air up front, and with all the M90 upgrades (MP90 and using the Eaton TVS guts in the M90 housing), this could be a 500hp + set up on the V6 with the proper bottom end and heads/cam.

PANA8044_zps76a14928.jpg

PANA8045_zps3eb4fdf8.jpg

Thanks, those are very helpful! With the metal plate you have there, did you bolt that into the top of the engine, essentially using it to replace the "cradle" that comes with the M90 on the super coupe?

Just trying to figure out how the bottom would look and the air intake for the cylinder heads...

Jonathan

The box replaced the upper intake on the stock motor and bolts to the lower intake. The holes on the bottom match up to the stock lower intake.  I've done boxed uppers like this to adapt Eaton blowers to split port V6, single port V6 and the old pushrod 5.0L V8s. This M90 is the only one I did for the split port. I'm not sure where it is these days. 

Did you have the same hood clearance issues with the m90? and do you need all the same m112 mods (fuel pump, injectors, UDP)?

not to hijack

Ive been researching and planning and trying to obtain a boost for my v6 for a while now, Lilroush as always thanks for the feedback

From my measurements with the upper intake removed, and keeping the split port "lower" intake which joins the two heads, it looks REAL close. I think with the S/C sitting on there, the output off the top will touch the hood, and the pully is close. I think what Lilroush is suggesting is to make a small sealed box (2 plates maybe 1" apart welded together, with the bottom plate open to the intake ports on the motor, and the top plate with an oval open at the rear, closest to the firewall for the air intake, where the compressed intake charge would come back from the front mounted inter cooler...

The M90 SC can actually be mounted anywhere, as the input is on the back, and the output is on the top charge piping setup, it seems different than the M112 which from what I gather, presses the charged output out the bottom directly into the engine intake ports below it.

Lilroush,

do you recall how much space you left between the two plates, if this is indeed what you did?

Cheers

Jonathan