95riosnake

OCDFabworks Shop Projects: Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing

Well I finally got around to getting the right length allen bolt and tapped threads in the hole for it, so I figured I'd snap a couple photos of the finished handle assembled. I also added a jam nut on the back side to keep the bolt from backing out rather than using red loc-tite like I originally planned. I didn't have any jam nuts so I just ground a stainless nut to half thickness. Looks pretty good and works great. I'm 100% happy with how this turned out, which is rare for me. Let's hope I can keep it up on the rest of this resto :2thumb:

tmn3.jpg

8dij.jpg

obqx.jpg

Haha, because I couldn't find a spacer with that outer dimension. I could have welded all around the outside of it to add material, then ground and lathed it down but it would have been too much work to justify lol.

Ok so since I can't get any parts for the mustang these days... I decided to do some work on one of my vintage tool projects. I figured I'd throw these here rather than making a new thread, since restoring a vintage Wilton vise is closely related to this project.

I was cleaning out the garage last weekend, organizing tons of bags of hardware into drawers, labeling, etc. and saw my poor Wilton 1760 sitting on the work bench under a bunch of stuff. Its previously freshly wire wheeled surface now had a solid coating of surface rust. I decided it was time to get back on the horse and finish a project for once. I ordered a new pair of 6" jaws made from A-2 tool steel, heat treated to 54-56 rockwell which results in the colorful discoloration you see on them. I also got a new pair of swivel clamps in stainless with hex bottoms so I can use a wrench, and avoid bending them like the pair my vise came with. Lastly I also picked up a new horseshoe clamp (holds the lead screw for the handle in place in the dynamic jaw) and a couple Wilton decals to put on the sides. I'm not totally sure if I'll use the decals, as they're not period-correct and are for the 1994-present version of this vise (mine is much older). I may have @69clark cut me a couple OCDFabworks decals for it, now sure yet :)

Anyway I never thought to take a before photo, but here's the picture from the seller I bought the vise from.

qOBUD3.jpg

After I disassembled and stripped it:

P64DfL.jpg

Then fast forward about 8-9 months and I'm back on it. First issue was fixing the badly beaten rear dust cap which Wilton no longer makes a replacement for. An acetylene torch and some body hammer action took it from this:

fEw6Ma.jpg

To this:

fIYocI.jpg

Then I added a thin layer of JB weld to fill in the gouges, which I later sanded down smooth. The JB Weld is just a stronger option than using regular body filler.

Then last night I re-wire wheeled all the parts I had stripped last year, masked them and sprayed them with the correct Verde Green hammered finish and some clear coat on top.

dmZ7Ui.jpg

qJseJn.jpg

The finished dust cap looking quite nice:

2ZcpGW.jpg

A shot of some of the new parts I mentioned earlier:

RgD2T1.jpg

Everything will sit like this for a week to cure totally before I reassemble everything. I'm also making a new handle out of stainless because I hate rust, so stay tuned for that also.

Looks great, Dan!  Like I told you last night, I think my garage needs the OCDFabworks organization treatment lol.

My own garage is in need of another round of it, combined with a good cleaning to remove the layer of metal dust on everything from doing the bracing under the car. Plus I have so many boxes of stuff sitting around it's driving me crazy. The big drill press parts don't help. I need to get cracking on it again, we'll see how many more years I have to wait for the RideTech front shockwaves to be available. If I still don't have mustang parts when I'm done with the vise restoration I guess I'll start working on the drill press again.

• Moderators

My own garage is in need of another round of it, combined with a good cleaning to remove the layer of metal dust on everything from doing the bracing under the car. Plus I have so many boxes of stuff sitting around it's driving me crazy. The big drill press parts don't help. I need to get cracking on it again, we'll see how many more years I have to wait for the RideTech front shockwaves to be available. If I still don't have mustang parts when I'm done with the vise restoration I guess I'll start working on the drill press again.

Haha.  I really should send you pictures of my garage "organization" to make you feel better.  The drill press is shoved over in a corner where I can't use it.  The work bench is covered in crap, and the only bare spot now is covered by the bench grinder, all my paint supplies are in boxes in the corner which is really useful when you're about to paint the house, the list goes on.

new parts, no matter what they are for look so damn good. that paint looks excellent too man!

*gasp* soo beautiful!

Thank you sirs, can't wait to get started putting it back together this weekend and have a nice vise to use finally. The Chinese craftsman 4" I have gets the job done but leaves a LOT to be desired... I'll keep that around for beating things on though. This vise will be used for more refined things like assembling AN lines, etc.

• Moderators

Thank you sirs, can't wait to get started putting it back together this weekend and have a nice vise to use finally. The Chinese craftsman 4" I have gets the job done but leaves a LOT to be desired... I'll keep that around for beating things on though. This vise will be used for more refined things like assembling AN lines, etc.

Dammit.  Now you're telling me I need more than one vise to do stuff in my garage?!  Where am I gonna find that kind of bench space lol?

Dammit.  Now you're telling me I need more than one vise to do stuff in my garage?!  Where am I gonna find that kind of bench space lol?

Haha not necessarily, but when I have the option to put something in a cheap craftsman 4" vise and hammer it versus putting it in a restored well made Wilton, the craftsman can take the hammer blows ;)

After letting the paint cure for a week, I got back to it and did the reassembly on the vise yesterday.

First order of business was to rid the anvil area of the scars from its previous life.

rllTWN.jpg

As you can see, I bolted it down to a 2x4 that I clamped to my work bench so it wouldn't move, then some careful work with a belt sander and a 120 grit belt leveled it out perfectly, looks good as new.

9u3LkR.jpg

Slid the dynamic jaw in and used the lead screw to draw on the end piece assembly, then hammered in the dowel pins through the side to secure it in place.

AtNhi3.jpg

Polished the lead screw and installed the horseshoe clamp and washer to secure it.

6sqSv2.jpg

D28Yk7.jpg

Unbolted the vise from the 2x4 and sat it on the swivel base, then installed the swivel clamps and pounded the rear dust cap in with a rubber mallet.

oOfaW9.jpg

A shot of the new jaws in place. I thought about removing the discoloration from the hardening but I decided it looks kinda cool and left it. Also cleaned up the pipe jaws and reinstalled those and put the Wilton decals on.

Vq9KUN.jpg

I wasn't sure if I was going to put the decals on or not, but I think they look pretty classy.

kDbC4Y.jpg

Next up, I scored a pair of N.O.S. Wilton copper jaw covers. These let you clamp soft materials like aluminum in the vise without the serrated faces damaging the material.

eTS1Ia.jpg

Since they have to be formed to fit the vise, I started by laying down copious layers of masking then clamping the covers in the vise. It would have been better to form these prior to paint, but I didn't get them until I had already painted it.

DQmmGn.jpg

Grabbed the rubber mallet again and pounded them to fit. Normally people bend the tabs under the sides of the jaws, but this would be for a permanent install. I only bent the tabs until they hung straight down. This lets me take them off when I don't need them.

7a7uNO.jpg

4DbZoV.jpg

0XRShz.jpg

qnU0Oz.jpg

So happy with how this anvil turned out :)

iOeq2v.jpgrI

And one more shot of the vise, looking pretty nice I might say.

yh4IAG.jpg

You probably noticed the handle is still missing. I'll be finishing up the new stainless handle this week at work, then I can call this restoration complete. Next up will be a mounting system for my work bench to let me remove the vise when it's in the way. I'll also have matching bases on my smaller vise, anvil and bench grinder.

i think you're going to cry the first time you actually use it for something and dirt/debris gets on it.

Maybe the first time, but after that it's not a big deal. I remember after I built my work bench I was worried about scratching the top, then after the first one, the rest didn't bother me lol.

dam even i hate to see you actually use it lol. looks so nice and perfect. superb refinishing skills man seriously!! 

OH...... :2thumb:  lol

Thanks Tony!

I see what you did there ;)

that has the same finish as my bench grinder i got from my grandfather that is really old lol. i'll get a pic. wonder if it's the same company? i looked once for a name but never seen one. i'll look a little harder again. 

it's a black $ decker after looking again  <_<

same color though lol....looks 1950's kinda but i have no clue

DSCF5539_zpsbcb3df5e.jpg

So I've been looking for an old school metal bolt/hardware cabinet for years. Thanks to a bunch of hipsters deciding it was trendy to use such cabinets as industrial home furniture, the market has been ruined and the prices have skyrocketed, making them unattainable for anyone with their head screwed on straight.

Luckily I was browsing CraigsList a few days ago and the stars aligned, I found a 22 drawer old school cabinet for sale out in the boonies about an hour drive from my house for only $100

U7ctI8.jpg

First step was figuring out how to get it home. I called around and couldn't get a truck lined up to borrow, my dad said he'd come up with his diesel but he's an hour and a half drive away, then another hour from my house to get the cabinet. Not wanting to ask my dad to drive 5 hours in a day, I decided where there's a will there's a way and decided to make it happen with the scion dd ;)

I crawled around inside the car with a tape measure, but I wanted to be 100% sure it would fit so I made a cardboard mock up the same size as the cabinet (54.5 x 24 x 20) and did a dry run in the car. It was a tight fit, but with the seats folded down, the front seat slid forward and some of the cabinet riding shotgun, the hatch closed and it looked like I was in business.

elpq8I.jpg

CzQ3cZ.jpg

YOWqm1.jpg

cXcYLR.jpg

Took the mock up home and tested out the intended spot in the garage

LpsUUz.jpg

I had the day off today, so I headed out early and made a little over an hour trip out to the guy's house. Naturally he had a steep and badly eroded driveway, which is perfect for a lowered car like mine, lol. The look on his face when he saw a compact car coming up his driveway was priceless. We did manage to get it loaded up (this MF'er weighs about 250+lbs without the drawers in it) and stacked the drawers in the car around it. You'll notice some drawers have stuff in them, I'll have to sort through it all and pitch the garbage, but I got easily a couple hundred bucks worth of bolts, nuts, washers, etc. I regained my appreciation of how versatile this little car is, it handled being loaded down like a champ. Other than some rubbing in the rear around turns it was a pretty uneventful trip home.

7wxoVs.jpg

RWMpxA.jpg

Tuckin tire, lol.

3kVt94.jpg

Wrestled it out carefully, then onto my floor jack to make things easier on myself getting it in position.

QlyRd3.jpg

pMzgU7.jpg

After some repainting of the wall behind where the cabinet was going to go (had hanging bolt bins mounted there that naturally took the wall paint with them when I took them down), some cussing and a gallon of sweat it's in its new home. I'm going to strip it and repaint it with a nice color scheme at some point, but in the meantime it'll do just fine.

dkN6wL.jpg

QA90eq.jpg

The patina is actually kind of cool looking. If the cabinet wasn't shit brown I'd consider just clear coating it. I counted 5 different colors it's been painted over the years including olive drab (likely the original color), gray, some weird wood grain finish, another gray and now brown.

YiuzHw.jpg

I'm going to make wood inserts for each drawer with dividers so I'll have a spot for each size, thread, and length of bolt.

T0s3re.jpg

Heavy duty ball bearings are money for using this as a hardware cabinet.

mU1iYd.jpg

The bottom of the cabinet is pretty rusty so I'll likely just strip the rust and weld a steel plate onto the bottom before I paint it. I'm gonna hold off on this project for a bit in hopes that mustang parts start making their way to me...

Shifting focus back to the Wilton vise project, I finished up making the new stainless handle on the lathe at work this week. I still need to pick up a couple thick rubber washers to put at each end to save my fingers, but this restoration is effectively complete :2thumb:

ePx44E.jpg

MTxcjC.jpg

YKOcZW.jpg

kAhDPx.jpg

kSymKq.jpg

aHxmmQ.jpg

i want so bad to make fun of you mocking up the cabinet but it was pretty fn smart! 

I think Dan just has too much time on his hands to mock up a whole cabinet ;) lol    that cabinet looks like its going to work great, wish i had something to organize all the small shit i have too :-/

I think Dan just has too much time on his hands to mock up a whole cabinet ;) lol    that cabinet looks like its going to work great, wish i had something to organize all the small shit i have too :-/

Haha, too much time on my hands is definitely not a problem I have, in fact it's just the opposite... free time is hard to come by. I didn't want to drive 1h 10m out to this guy's place to find out it wouldn't fit in my car. 15 mins during my lunch to make the mock up seemed like a good alternative, lol.

• Moderators

i was just telling katie the other night that i wouldn't mind finding a cabinet just like this for in the garage.

There's one in Manville, NJ that I am seriously considering driving up to get... $40 for one the size of Dan's.  It is killing me not to have at least one of these in my garage.  They're fucking expensive around here.

he just seems to have everything at hand. like if i were to try and mock that cabinet up i would tearing apart cayolla crayon boxes, captain crunch boxes, some scotch tape and or elmers glue  <_<

i can't say shit though i mock up sub enclosures complete with port holes  B-)

anywho no more mock up thread hijack....are you going to refinish this cabinet or is it good to go?