95riosnake

OCDFabworks Shop Projects: Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing

Looks like I might have something similar to your current project to start restoring myself this week!  

I'm holding off posting pictures until I can just post them all, should be in another week/week and a half. Rather than showing it in sections I'll just show the whole process at once :2thumb:

• Moderators

I'm holding off posting pictures until I can just post them all, should be in another week/week and a half. Rather than showing it in sections I'll just show the whole process at once :2thumb:

:2thumb:

I'm going to have to start a thread eventually, but I think it all qualifies as garage/house build still.

I had some catching up to do and it was worth it as always. I absolutely love your color matched vices and anvil, and I have to agree that the verde is just awesome.

I'd love to find some sweet tools like you do (that sander is a beast) but I never have luck with used items. Parts will be broken then I won't be able to find replacements. I'm just as happy following someone else's finds though, haha.

Question. When stripping, do you just use sand paper and a wire wheel?

Ok so after reading through this thread I am now addicted. I didn't need another addiction but at least this one doesn't cost me money or cause cancer. Lol

Kris

Glad I could spread the sickness ;)

I had some catching up to do and it was worth it as always. I absolutely love your color matched vices and anvil, and I have to agree that the verde is just awesome.

I'd love to find some sweet tools like you do (that sander is a beast) but I never have luck with used items. Parts will be broken then I won't be able to find replacements. I'm just as happy following someone else's finds though, haha.

Question. When stripping, do you just use sand paper and a wire wheel?

Generally yes, a wire wheel on an angle grinder coupled with a wire wheel on my bench grinder usually make it happen, then sanding to prep for paint. I knock down the casting edges that I don't like with a flap wheel on the angle grinder also.

I have much more to add to this thread soon, just waiting on finishing up the current project before I update the thread. I think I'm going to have to rehab myself and not look at craigslist for like a month. I've been picking up something every weekend recently, it has to stop lol.

Well, I finally finished up the most recent project. Let's rewind about a month; I was browsing CraigsList and saw a very minimal ad for an "Old 24 drawer metal cabinet" with very little other information other than a price tag of $30. So I figured what the hell, and shot an email asking if they had any pictures. I got a response back pretty quick with a picture.

kgbi2s.jpg

I was sold. Turned out, the woman's father had recently passed away and left behind a storage unit that they needed to clear out. I arranged to meet up later that week and pick it up.

Then the Scion did work as usual.

qZTxsT.jpg

sBJDtE.jpg

First thing to address was the rust on top. I sanded it down and smeared a little spot putty to smooth the previously rusted spots.

AmGvvc.jpg

B9HxYm.jpg

Sanded down the rest of the cabinet, and started prepping for paint. Decided to mask the Hobart label and leave it to pay a little homage to the cabinet's history. During the process I found a couple papers wedged down inside it. This cabinet started life in a dentist's office in Wexford, PA and the papers were dated 1952, so it's at least that old.

ISdjwm.jpg

kywMNX.jpg

Here's the planned color scheme: Antique Pewter Hammered finish on the cabinet, and gloss bright red for the drawer faces.

2L2Vf5.jpg

Primed

QTOXFx.jpg

Painted

XKEKYZ.jpg

y07S5B.jpg

Then tucked it away in its new home under the work bench in my shelves.

TgLP1k.jpg

Then the hard work started. Luckily the drawers were mostly in great shape, but they still needed sanded smooth (the factory finish had a pretty prominent orange peel to it). Each drawer itself didn't take long to prep, but doing it 24x made it quite a tedious, time consuming task.

WQq7f0.jpg

To add to the fun, someone opted to tape on labels rather than slip label cards into the built in slots... :angry: Nothing some lacquer thinner and some 4 letter words wouldn't fix.

j8dEAV.jpg

Took me about a week to get them sanded and prepped, this part wasn't too fun lol. Prepped stack is on the left.

udkzbH.jpg

3D8U62.jpg

QeK59d.jpg

TNa6Cl.jpg

Then began the masking phase...equally tedious, lol. The paint on these drawers is a really tough epoxy paint, and the white looks fine against red and gray so I decided to only paint the faces and pulls of each drawer.

5U69hI.jpg

J87vYS.jpg

EkCCyJ.jpg

Time for primer at last...

p0f6hT.jpg

aGlPIB.jpg

The drawer pulls then needed to be masked so I could spray the drawer faces.

P9sQp5.jpg

(Repeat 24x)

Qb0l2Q.jpg

alPRuu.jpg

Shortly after this photo, I came to the realization I should have covered the entire floor with cardboard and spent a couple hours scrubbing and hosing off overspray... lol. Nevertheless, red drawer faces happened, along with a few coats of clear.

i7pceK.jpg

5j2bLR.jpg

Peeled back the masking from the pulls to get a feel for how it'll look, it got a thumbs up.

oxAy7I.jpg

I gave the drawers a couple weeks to fully cure before masking off the red, the thought of the red paint peeling off with the masking wasn't worth risking lol.

More masking...

DBprgr.jpg

(Repeat 24x)

Sprayed some ceramic silver and clear

7taSAw.jpg

(Repeat 24x)

tazJgl.jpg

XjPmPg.jpg

Masking finally off

oUjEms.jpg

The clear on the faces needed a bit of work, so a little wet sanding and some love from the Porter Cable was in order.

dqFPhK.jpg

wpGmvs.jpg

Vhx6cb.jpg

(Repeat 24x)

qNeqXY.jpg

This cabinet unfortunately doesn't have slides or ball bearings, so to help the drawers slide in and out easier, I added these adhesive-backed Slick Strips from Rockler. They work perfect.

HlNyCi.jpg

Added some label card inserts

3aJobp.jpg

FY0rPK.jpg

Found a nice foam backed vinyl tool box liner to finish off the drawers

UW3ni1.jpg

(Repeat 24x)

Then the long awaited moment came and I slipped the drawers into the cabinet. After a sigh of relief, I took a step back and admired the new addition to my shop!

XkeNuZ.jpg

FhUDiE.jpg

TJAQeS.jpg

bruY8X.jpg

All in all, it was way more work than I originally expected, but looking at the finished product it was totally worth it. The big brown cabinet next to it will be done in the same color scheme very soon :2thumb:

You sir are a BEAST!! I would of never even attempted to do something that required repeating the process 24x, and then to admit you are going to do it again with the other drawers have officially put you over the top lol.  

YOU BUFFED 24 DRAWERS!!!!!! Who even does that lol?????????

My hat is off to you as I truly believe this is NOTHING you can't do.

most woulda left the red alone and patted ourselves on the back for a job well done but naaaaahhhh....dan wet sands, buffs and polishes each individual drawer hahaaa!!! such a pro man! love the color scheme too. 

• Moderators

most woulda left the red alone and patted ourselves on the back for a job well done but naaaaahhhh....dan wet sands, buffs and polishes each individual drawer hahaaa!!! such a pro man! love the color scheme too. 

The best part is he texted me the first picture and I asked if he was going to wet sand and polish.  I was kidding.  Then he texts back "Already did" and sends the second picture.

You can't be serious....OMFG dude. You've officially lost it hahaha, looks awesome! Your wife must fuckin hate you hahahaha

Actually I think she's been liking the change of pace, hearing about something other than the mustang recently lol.

wow nice job I now have shelving envy lol

You have room Troy, start watching CL and you'll find some. I could see a cabinet with yellow drawer faces in your garage :2thumb:

LOL glad to see this finally up here!  Looking forward to seeing you do the other cabinet!

I'm kind of looking forward to it, but I'm sure when I'm neck deep in endless sanding, I'll wonder wtf is wrong with me lol.

You sir are a BEAST!! I would of never even attempted to do something that required repeating the process 24x, and then to admit you are going to do it again with the other drawers have officially put you over the top lol.  

YOU BUFFED 24 DRAWERS!!!!!! Who even does that lol?????????

My hat is off to you as I truly believe this is NOTHING you can't do.

Thanks Steve! I honestly admit I have a problem, I literally can't compromise once I get an idea. I've decided to abandon ideas on projects in the past, only to come back to them a week later and do it anyway. I kept looking at the lack of shine on those drawer faces and couldn't shake the urge to go all the way and wet sand/buff. Plus I had a recently-purchased Porter Cable 7424xp that I hadn't gotten any practice with yet. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing right?

I hate you so much Dan. Everything you touch comes out professional and on point. Teach me your ways!!

Thanks Bryan, and as far as my ways, here's the step process.

1) Acquire item and/or parts

2) Think of something overkill to do

3) Spend entirely too much time doing it

4) Keep having more ideas in the process

5) Do those too

6) Question if you'll ever be done

7) Remember to take your meds

;)

Thanks man, I kind of drew inspiration from the older Craftsman toolboxes that had a hammered silver/gray cabinet and red drawers, it's just a super cool look IMO.

The best part is he texted me the first picture and I asked if he was going to wet sand and polish.  I was kidding.  Then he texts back "Already did" and sends the second picture.

Haha yep, you get the inside scoop and play by play pretty often lol.

i can't believe you actually buffed the cabinet faces.  that's just nuts.  now you'll have to wax them every few weeks....24x

Haha I left out that they do have a coat of carnuba on them also. Should be good for a while right? lol

The close up of that freshly buffed drawer has me all giddy. Very nice work.

I was in the basement yesterday and looked at the old vice sitting there and was like hmmmm. Lol. I know I couldn't do as good of a job as you though.

I'm REALLY enjoying this thread. Nothing like taking old, worn down items and making them look better than new. Well done as always. You sir, are an inspiration to us all.

• Moderators

I was in the basement yesterday and looked at the old vice sitting there and was like hmmmm. Lol. I know I couldn't do as good of a job as you though.

You don't have to go all Dan on them and make them perfect... just give them a new lease on life!  

Holy balls, just read through the update.  Really nothing I can add that hasn't already been said so I'll just say...  Cheers my good friend, well done!!! :2thumb:

Thank you sir!

The close up of that freshly buffed drawer has me all giddy. Very nice work.

I'm REALLY enjoying this thread. Nothing like taking old, worn down items and making them look better than new. Well done as always. You sir, are an inspiration to us all.

Thanks Sean, glad you guys are enjoying these projects! I figured since I haven't had much to show on the mustang build, I'd at least show what I've been up to in the meantime.

Dna what kind of paint and clear did you use?  Just some rustoleum stuff?

For primer and color yea, Rustoleum. For the clear I used 3-4 coats of VHT Wheel clear coat. It's pretty tough stuff and is chemical resistant so I figured it would be a good choice on a garage cabinet.

For primer and color yea, Rustoleum. For the clear I used 3-4 coats of VHT Wheel clear coat. It's pretty tough stuff and is chemical resistant so I figured it would be a good choice on a garage cabinet.

Thanks Dan! The clear is what i was more interested in.    

So shut it @Psychorugby ;) lol

While I finish up a couple current projects, I figured I'd catch you guys up on some other recent happenings in the shop.

First up, as you all know this thread started out with me restoring a HUGE drill press. Well in light of how slowly I was making progress on that, I decided I should maybe pick up a smaller bench top drill press to poke holes with in the meantime. I happened upon an absolutely BEAUTIFUL restored 1920 Canedy-Otto no. 24 drill press about 15-20 minutes from my house on CraigsList... the cool factor dug its teeth in and before I knew it I was driving home with it. This thing is truly stepping back in time. I know some may raise an eyebrow at the leather drive belt configuration, but trust me this is a tried and true design, and some of the most powerful vintage drill presses use it, albeit much larger units, some of them can drill a 1" hole through 1" thick steel plate with no pilot hole (using silver and deming bits).

So, the trusty Scion steed brought home yet another hunk of vintage iron, about 200lbs worth this time around, and my wallet only $100 lighter.

9EHodt.jpg

DgUb7D.jpg

The previous owner had a 3 car garage PACKED with vintage machines such as a lathe the size of a small pickup truck, a large Canedy Otto press, two Bridgeport Mills, etc. Anyway he acquired this small Canedy Otto as nothing more than the cast iron frame and a few odd parts. He made the rest from brass, stainless steel, aluminum, and bronze. The drive unit is not true to original, but still uses a nice Dayton motor and a V belt to drive the custom lower step pulley he lathed. The top intermediate shaft, spindle, handle, etc. are all stainless as well. One great feature of this press is the available RPM's. The slowest speed is only 165 RPM! It also will do 370 and 830 RPM on the other two speeds.

N3w4bv.jpg

UycplE.jpg

PLFiQh.jpg

QAlyYb.jpg

qgg92p.jpg

4wDS4j.jpg

67UaZf.jpg

MaTQU4.jpg

Cool little oiling caps for the bronze bearings

faDDWg.jpg

vw5G39.jpg

Not one to ever leave well enough alone, I decided the table needed a little attention.

GDHaS5.jpg

Some time with the belt sander and it was looking up to par ;)

PeuWlH.jpg

gDjXaB.jpg

The new drill press addition prompted the search for a nice base to put it on and get it off my work bench. You guessed it, CraigsList got the nod yet again, lol.

I found this nice old school steel drop leaf cabinet on CL about a half hour drive from my house and decided it would be a great candidate. The drop leaves would give me space to sit things I'm drilling, then fold back down when I don't need them to free up oh-so-valuable space. Pics from the ad below:

cEvPPm.jpg

qRq8Ax.jpg

2pOwt4.jpg

So I arrange to meet the guy on a Friday morning bright and early before he had to go to work. I wasn't fully prepared for this dude's house. It was like an episode of Hoarders, but it wasn't all garbage. He had about 20 regular sized 4-6 drawer file cabinets, old steel desks, carts, cement mixers, furniture, etc... you name it. Tons of shit everywhere, all for sale of course but you know he never clears much out before it's replaced with more. 3 parking spaces in the driveway behind the house stacked solid with about a 10 foot stack of big stuff under tarps, a 2 car garage stacked to the ceiling, a basement with barely a walkway... just... holy shit. In the 3 pictures above, you can see a bit of the stuff, although you're only seeing the edge of the pile...

Anyway we spent about 15 minutes blazing a path through the mountain in the driveway to get to the cabinet I had come for. It was really dirty but structurally sound so I talked him from $70 down to $50 and headed home.

DNXaWm.jpg

Like I said, very dirty. A tiny bit of rust on top but nothing bad.

8nSldN.jpg

Turns out this thing is a base for an old ticket-making machine from the 50's, almost like a typewriter but more complex. The seller said the drawers were loaded with thousands and thousands of metal "keys" from the machine... he threw them away which was fine with me.

XwvggW.jpg

After a couple hours scrubbing the cabinet inside and out with Simple Green, the cabinet looked great. Only a few scratches and a little remaining rust on top that I couldn't get off, plus an ink stain. I found a couple dozen more of the metal "keys" inside during the process, lol. Fixed a few bent parts, tightened the loose screws for the drop leaf supports so they would work, polished the handles a bit and this thing was good to go.

YBCdzB.jpg

Pzf4oZ.jpg

QcyfX9.jpg

I had reconfigured some of my shelving a couple days prior to let me tuck the welder and band saw under the shelves to make room for the cabinet.

9ZA8AQ.jpg

The drill press sitting happily in its new home.

dztAZ6.jpg

brLVtR.jpg

AD1WHV.jpg

The cabinet may get a makeover some day but for now I don't mind the color. The finish is a super hard textured enamel, so I'm sure stripping it wouldn't be fun anyway. I'll likely just make a nice wood top for it and call it good for a while.

Well that's all for now, much more to come (I'm not even caught up to current stuff yet lol). Hope you guys enjoyed the read. :2thumb:

man that thing is awesome! looks like it can drill through anything looking at the holes in the pad area lol. i'd like to pay a visit to the "hoarder" guy. may need to borrow your scion though :P

man that thing is awesome! looks like it can drill through anything looking at the holes in the pad area lol. i'd like to pay a visit to the "hoarder" guy. may need to borrow your scion though :P

There's actually another cabinet he has that I have been thinking about getting from him for my basement area, he's asking $50 so I can probably bring it home for $25-30 but my only hangup is that I'm not too eager to go back lol. The dude was like a used car salesman lol, he was trying to sell me everything he had. It took a while for me to make him realize I was only there to buy what I came for lol.

that leather belt is fricking cool. is the wood screw the standard device to hold it together :P

I'm gonna guess no lol, I don't know a lot about how they make these belts but yea, I'm guessing a steel rod at least lol.

• Moderators

I feel like my garage is lagging behind every time I see pictures of how neatly tucked away you have everything.  Love the "new" drill press too!

you do realize dan that you're going to have to move all that heavy ass equipment when you get a new house right?  i've been looking for drill presses too lately on the ole CL but i can't find anything on this side of PA.

• Moderators

you do realize dan that you're going to have to move all that heavy ass equipment when you get a new house right?  i've been looking for drill presses too lately on the ole CL but i can't find anything on this side of PA.

I can't find 1% of the cool shit in FL that Dan finds in PA.  You shouldn't have too much of a problem!