frank830

need advice on what mod to put on my mustang and how to make it look better

2 members have voted

1. 1. which mods to put on my 1994 mustang gt

• how to make my mustang look better
    • what should I do to the engine to make it strongee and whay parts should I upgrade

What would you suggest is the best

Intake manifold, heads, cam, and throttle body size with the size of the MAF sensor and suspension

Im still learning and trying to research before I start buying parts.

Any advice will help :)

Its a daily driven car but I want to have more power, not trying to make it crazy fast but maybe around 350rwhp

My plan is to hopefully have it done in a year or two

And should I put a twin screw super charger?

1994 mustang gt

Manual transmission

Unknown miles..

You could go the easy way with a tfs top end , if it was me it would be my own custom setup ... Afr 165 heads , systemax 2 intake or performer rpm 2 , with a custom grind cam... If money's a little tight I have a bunch of stuff off my car for sale bbk 70mm throttle body , typhoon intake port matched and various other goodies . As far as suspension goes being a daily driver I'd just go with h&r coils with bilsteins and mm c/c plates with there bumpsteer kit

• Moderators

And what are the coils for?

Do they help out the springs?

In this case, I think he meant H&R coil springs... (which I have a set for sale along with Cobra control arms).

from a budget stand point what i wish i would of done, especially if you want to keep drivability would first mod be gears. then for good power but drivability just get a vortech supercharger it will net you around 310~ whp  h&r springs a short throw shifter a good set of lower control arms and wheels of your choice. The main thing when styling your car though keep it original to yourself its your car do what you like and if some people don't like it o well its not their car lol. But that will have you a nasty good street mannered car.

i agree with @Musturd , if you are just starting to learn your best bet might be the Trick flow top end kits. this takes all the guess work our of making many different parts work together. you will still get the experience from doing the install. however you dont have to worry abou checking PTV(piston to valve) clearences. :2thumb:

if you buy the entire kit from AM or late model or any other performance site it should include the fuel pump injectors mass air new chip and others supporting items to run the supercharger and the base pullies run at a low enough boost to be safe on a stock engine.

Maf and fuel pump and injectors are extra and don't come with the kit . You will definitely notice the tfs top end your car will go from slow as malasus to a fun ass easily low 12 second street car

Yea your right they sell those parts as a kit separate to the supercharger. But if you are mechanically enclined and have basic knowledge of the sbf, the trickflow kit is the way to go.

if your goal is 350whp i'd forget the head/cam/intake swap and just go straight to boost.  You'll make more power and probably enjoy it more also.  you could go with a twin screw but if the most whp is your goal it's not the best choice.

as for making it look better, i'd start with getting the hood painted/get a new hood and paint it, doing some wheels and lowering the car.  that will make an enormous difference.  Also i'd go down to one side emblem, probably keep the 5.0 one but move it up into the stock location.

Would if be safe to put a twin screw supercharger though?

If the engine is stock

absolutely assuming the engine is in good condition and you get it tuned.  I have a Kenne Bell at 9psi on my stock bottom end.

The difference a blower makes is huge, it'll put a smile on your face every time.  With your 4.10 gears you may have a serious issue with traction.

I bought my blower used on eBay, it was around $2,000.  then you'll need injectors ($200), fuel pump ($100), an upper radiator house, a new belt, maybe a few vacuum hoses, probably a MAF and a tune.  You may also have to relocate the fuel pressure regulator.  Install wasn't as easy as it would seam but I was able to manage with a lot of patience.

well if you want a twin screw I believe Kenne Bell is the only option for our year, you'll want the 94/95 5.0 specific supercharger or it won't bolt up.  Kennebell.net has them new (pricey) or you can find them on eBay or craigslist to save a few bucks.  If you buy a new one they only make a 2.1 size now, but if you check other places you could find a 1.5, 2.1 or 2.2 liter blower sizes.  If you're only planning on low boost the 1.5 could very well be enough for you.

Oh ok thank you :)

I called up a performance shop were they specialize in mustangs and I might just try to rebuilt the engine and put forged pistons and the good stuff, ill probably go by tomorrow to plan it out and if you want ill let you kmow what they tell me and see what you think?

After that ill probably put the kenne bell

Thats my plan for now because I domt kmow how many miles the engine has or what condition the imternals are, the guy that had it before me didnt take good care of it

Yeah you can share what they say.  I'm pretty sure forged internals are somewhat a waste in stock 5.0 blocks, forged pistons may help with nitrous but otherwise usually the block lets go before the stock bottom end.

• Supporting Member

Yeah you can share what they say.  I'm pretty sure forged internals are somewhat a waste in stock 5.0 blocks, forged pistons may help with nitrous but otherwise usually the block lets go before the stock bottom end.

Agreed. Consensus is the 500 horse number on stock blocks. That said, the crank even though cast is good for 600+ and the forged pistons are good for that much at least. Though mid 1992-1995 were not the forged variant so I would be careful. One of my builds exploded one at 463 rwhp with a centri. 

Yea 94-95 had the junk hypereutectic pistons, hypereutectic aluminum is a bit better than cast aluminum because it has a higher silicon content (which reduces the amount the piston will expand once it reaches operating temp so they can have tighter tolerances and better emissions), but is still nowhere near as strong as a forged piston.

Don't get the shp if you go dart they have numerous different blocks made of different materials .... Iron eagle is a lot better and is the route I went

Ok so I went to the shop and told them I will be using the car on the streets, they gave me a list of things

Ctm 331 stroker motor short block $3,400

AFR 185 cylinder heads $1,895

Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers $299

Trick Flow track Heat Intake kit $549

Ford Motorsport timing chain kit $89

Trick Flow stage 3 camshaft $249

Roller lifter set $199

Fel pro performance gaskets complete $275

Trick flow valve cover set $149

Bbk long tube headers $369

Bbk x pipe $189

Comp cams hardened push rods $59

Boss 302 high pressure oil pump $89

Arp oil pump drive rod $24

Arp head stud kit $149

R5671a-7 spark plug $6

Shop labor $2,975

And I will replace the block aswell

Then later on replace the transmission and supercharge it :)

What do you think?

mingya that's a lot of cheddar.   I'll tell you one thing it makes me really appreciate being able to do the work myself.

honestly that seems like a ripoff. that's wayyyy too much money for parts/labor for that work for a daily driver 350whp goal.  what you need is to spend a couple grand on a vortech kit and be done with it.  will give you a great power boost and be a fraction of the price of all that.

I'm going to have to agree with @OnyxCobra on this one. Spend half of that on a blower, put it on yourself, get it tuned, and have a practical car that is putting down 300-350 without the unpracticability of daily driving a HCI mustang lol

That parts list isn't bad but the prices are high.

!. If you plan on a stroked and blown combo don't waist your money on that block. Dart, A4 or R block with stroker kit of choice

2. Forged internals in a stock block is also a complete waist. Your hyper pistons will be fine if you avoid detonation ..that's what kills them.

3. I also wouldn't throw money at a KB with a 5 liter as one they are butt ugly and two you wont need the added torque they deliver down low and three for a dd street car they are heat monsters.

4. The TFS top end kit with your 410s would make for a fun car

5. If you go blown your gonna want to get rid of the 410s

Best possible off the shelf combo, for stock bottom ends.

-Trick flow 170cc/or if you have more money, Fast as Cast 190's

-Anderson Ford N41 cam.

-Holley Systemax intake manifold.

-Walbro 255 fuel pump

-30 lb injectors.

The main reason why I want to rebuild the engine and put new pistons etc..

Is because I dont know how many miles the engine has and I dont kmow how long it will last, the guy before me didnt take of it, ive had to replace a bunch of parts for example water pump, radiator, thermostat housing, door panels were in bad shape i replaced them and things like that. I want to forged the internals so that I can play with it and not worry about it braking down.

The 331 stroker, a stronger block so the stock one wont crack and other goods to have more power and be strong enough to also supercharge it in the future

• Supporting Member

I dont know why no one has suggested it yet, but you can get a REALLY good glimpse into the life of the engine by taking it to a mechanic (given your limited knowledge) and getting a leak down and compression test. If it is within specs you are golden. Go to your mechanic, pay him $100 to run those tests for you and if your engine is healthy, grab the blower and enjoy. 

Also, I am very unfamiliar with dependability problems with a H/C/I 5.0 but admittedly my experience is mainly with foxes. Can anyone enlighten me as to what issues there are?

I dont know why no one has suggested it yet, but you can get a REALLY good glimpse into the life of the engine by taking it to a mechanic (given your limited knowledge) and getting a leak down and compression test. If it is within specs you are golden. Go to your mechanic, pay him $100 to run those tests for you and if your engine is healthy, grab the blower and enjoy.

Also, I am very unfamiliar with dependability problems with a H/C/I 5.0 but admittedly my experience is mainly with foxes. Can anyone enlighten me as to what issues there are?

Fuck that. Rent the tool from auto zone and do it yourself. Good learning experience lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk