bad86capri

96 gt problems!

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and new to mod motors. I've owned a bunch of Fox bodies and currently own a 86 Capri and 96 mustang gt. The problem I'm having is with my gt. The car has h-pipe, cold air kit, 3.73 gears, and flowmasters. When I got the last Fri they had the fan wired into a toggle switch. I've been troubleshooting this situation all weekend long. I've changed the ccrm, temp sensor behind the thermostat housing. What I've discovered is that the low speed fan doesn't kick on but the high speed kicks on when the cars temp Gage gets to the red line. Someone has installed silver faced gages. So I'm wandering if it's possible if they got the needle put back on wrong or if I've possibly got another bad ccrm? Any ideas would be good. Thank

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I would get a computer hooked up to it to see what the actual temp sensor is reading.  That would give us a better indication of whether or not that needle was put back on in the right direction, or if you really do have an overheating problem.

I checked the temp today with a hand held temp gun. The temp at the thermostat housing and the temp sending sensor was 208 when the fan kicked on and it cooled it down to 180. I know there is a lot of variables using those but my next step is to change the cluster to verify that the needle was put back on wrong. I also changed the spark plugs and found that every plug was gapped from 39 to 44. The new plus helped a lot but it still bucks between shifts so I'm gonna trouble shooting some more and see what I come up with.

The car feels like it's running out of gas but when you press the throttle on down it clears up. I'm thinking the fuel pump may be getting weak.

Is it throwing a any codes? Have you tried to put a chide reader on it?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

It threw a 307 I think was the code. Which meant misfire in cylinder #7 possible problems spark plug, injector, vacuum leak, plug wire. I've ruled out plugs and vacuum leak. Still have to measure resistance on the plug wires and injector

The only reason I was thinking pump was because my friend had a 97 gt do the same thing and his was the pump.

*Update*

I installed another gauge cluster from a 96 gt and temp needle on my mine was a little off. The low speed is still not kicking on but the high speed kicks on when the temp hand gets to the last white line before the red line on the gauge. I'm going to check voltages tomorrow at the connector to verify its getting power. The other day when I was messing with it the low speed did kick on and back off but only long enough to make the fan go about 1/4 of a rotation. If anybody has any other ideas please chime in!

Also when I unplug the ect the fan does not kick on like I've been told it should. I'm thinking that the low speed may be bad. But when I hook it to 12 v it works so I'm lost right now.

yes both speeds work separately with a 12v source.

Than in that case, the fan is in proper working order. Get a test light and check for power at the connector. Start tracing backwards. @sleeperstang94 I believe it was you that had wiring diagrams so he could see what wires he needs to test?

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and new to mod motors. I've owned a bunch of Fox bodies and currently own a 86 Capri and 96 mustang gt. The problem I'm having is with my gt. The car has h-pipe, cold air kit, 3.73 gears, and flowmasters. When I got the last Fri they had the fan wired into a toggle switch. I've been troubleshooting this situation all weekend long. I've changed the ccrm, temp sensor behind the thermostat housing. What I've discovered is that the low speed fan doesn't kick on but the high speed kicks on when the cars temp Gage gets to the red line. Someone has installed silver faced gages. So I'm wandering if it's possible if they got the needle put back on wrong or if I've possibly got another bad ccrm? Any ideas would be good. Thank

Man I suck with electrical problems... haha... wheres @PRPVinyl when you need him!

So I checked the voltages on the fan connector and the low speed is dead. When the high speed kicks on the low speed doesn't have any power on it only the high speed wire.

I keep reading about a pcm and the ccrm but is the pcm the same as the eec or are they different

Okay so this the ect resistance check sheet I found. 9e3emu5y.jpg

It looks like my high speed is kicking on at around 210. Not extremely hot but would like to get the low working still. I'm going to order a sct tuner later this week from American muscle and if I don't have the issue fixed by the I'm going to try and use the tuner to turn the fan on at a lower temp.

So I checked the voltages on the fan connector and the low speed is dead. When the high speed kicks on the low speed doesn't have any power on it only the high speed wire.

I keep reading about a pcm and the ccrm but is the pcm the same as the eec or are they different

The low fan wire should go dead when the high fan wire kicks on. Are you getting voltage to your connector on the low fan side at all? You want only the high speed to get power when the high speed fan kicks on. The PCM is the same as the EEC. EEC is electronic engine control and PCM is powertrain contraol module. So they're basically the same

There is no power to the low speed wire at all. When the high speed kicks off I would think the low speed would turn on but that's not the case. Would the a/c being low on freon cause it not to come on?

No. That should have nothing to do with it. Since you aren't getting low at the connector, trace the wire back using one of those pin outs I posted to see if you're getting voltage to the fan low speed input. If you are, you know the ccrm is shot.

id love to help you out with this but after reading the thread your all over the place! what is the main concern? the over heating? miss fire? or are you most worried about the evap concern now. Personally i would look at the over heat if thats an issue. this could cause you more head aches. the evap might suck with having the check engine lamp on, but it wont leave you sit on the side of the road. Let me know how i can help and we can go from there?

:)

im with @Sleeperstang1994, lets stick with one issue until its resolved, and go back to the original issue of the fans not working.  Might be better off to make some different threads with each problem, will help keep your thoughts separated and help us in helping you.

Lol. Yea sorry about that. I've been discovering different issues since I've owned the car which has been almost 2 weeks. My biggest concern is the misfire. I changed the fuel filter today and I noticed it puffing a dark colored smoke out of the driver side exhaust pipe when I first start it and when I give it gas. But the car is really rich when it idles.

*update*

I replaced the stock 88lph fuel pump today with a walbro 255lph pump. My misfire issue is fixed! The car runs like a champ. My sct tuner should be here next week so I think that will take care of the fan issue because I can turn on the fan at a lower temp so I should be good. I'm gonna still figure out and fix the low speed fan issue but this will buy me some time.

I also fixed the p1443 code issue. The check valve on top of the fuel tank was stopped up.

*update*

I replaced the stock 88lph fuel pump today with a walbro 255lph pump. My misfire issue is fixed! The car runs like a champ. My sct tuner should be here next week so I think that will take care of the fan issue because I can turn on the fan at a lower temp so I should be good. I'm gonna still figure out and fix the low speed fan issue but this will buy me some time.

I also fixed the p1443 code issue. The check valve on top of the fuel tank was stopped up.

Good stuff bill! Glad to hear you got all the problems figured out!!