scottydsntknow

Got new meats today, still can't quite decide on rims tho...

Ordered my 18" tires which came in today.  BFG g force sport comp 2s.  235/45/18 up front and 275/40/18 out back.  Going on a staggered 18x9/18x10 (or 10.5) set of rims.  And before someone says they are too narrow, BFGs run big, I researched and I've measured since they came in.  The 235s are a touch over 9" and the 275s are 11" so I will be totally fine.  I prefer flush rims anyway (not "hella ricer flush" but straight up and down flush).  

0307141655a_zpso19olwgf.jpg

Anyway have it narrowed to a few choices but I'm like a woman in a shoe store when it comes to rims and would like some input from my favorite mustang forum.  

Option 1:

2010 Premium style GT rims from AM  $422 shipped to my door with discount

Option 2:

Same rims but in chrome  $568 shipped with my discount

Option 3:

03 Cobra style machine face with silver cutouts  $588 shipped 

Option 4:

03 Cobra style machine face with black cutouts  $588 shipped

Here is the car as it currently sits.  Yeah I know a lot of ppl think it looks great as is but EVERYONE around here has Bullitts and honestly I think 17" rims look like roller skates on these cars.  One reason I went up to 94/95 Cobra size in the front (26.1 but 26.3 is right there) and fatter out back to a 26.6" tall tire.  

P8141481_zps0a7e3a77.jpg

I really do like the 2010s because nobody has them and black rims have been growing on me lately.  Chrome might look better because the car looks good with chrome now but I am a little worried about chrome in the rain and the finish holding.  Car is currently not driven in any bad weather and will never be driven in winter conditions but I will probably drive it in the rain this spring/summer/fall.  I am still leaning towards the 03 Cobra rims, I think they look amazing on a SN95 and probably would go with the black inserts to match the black interior but not sure.

Any opinions or thoughts on other options I haven't listed?  Looking to keep the rims at the $600 range or under and am not interested in bigger bullitts, FR500s or 95R style rims because they are way too common around here.  ASWs are getting way too common too, seems like every other Coyote has them.  

I had kdw 2's in 265 on a 9" wheel and they sat just flush. I think you'd be stretching these a bit. Hopefully you don't and they look decent. IMO get black wheels, pin stripe them body color and behold, beautious.

Sent from Space

See, the 265 nittos on my fronts now bulge a bit. These 235s are 9.3 wide spec on tirerack and confirmed by me via tape measure.

Anyway you like the black rims? I do too but I'm worried I won't like them on my car. I know I will like the 03s and a lot of ppl on other forums are telling me 03 all tho way.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

i vote either chrome 2010s or the black insert 03 cobras.  i don't like all black wheels, you can't see them most times.  seems like a waste of money to me.  at least if it has a polished lip it breaks up the wheel/tire.

Had the same exact tires, remember they run wide compared to other brands, this is the 275/40/17 on 10" wheels

river04.jpg

Were those 17x10 or 10.5s?  I ask because every 17" rim I've seen are the 10.5" width.  Those tires fit great on those rims though, if they are 10.5 that's how mine should look.  If they are 10" then I can still see a slight bulge so mine would be flush which is good too.  Either way they'll fit fine.  Great looking car btw.

i vote either chrome 2010s or the black insert 03 cobras.  i don't like all black wheels, you can't see them most times.  seems like a waste of money to me.  at least if it has a polished lip it breaks up the wheel/tire.

My vote is for the black insert 03 cobras, not really a fan of the 2010 GT wheels at all really.

I'm leaning towards the black insert 03s as well but I think either 03s would look good.

man it does look good as is but i'd kinda agree with the black windowed 03's

Yeah probably going to be the black windowed 03s since the car is black and the atlantic blue paint is a darker blue.  Just waiting till early next week to order because I'm going to be gone all next week and I don't want rims showing up in front of my house and trust someone to get over to the house in time to put them in the garage.  I live a safe neighborhood but you never know. 

Edit:  Also was kicking around some Chrome 95Rs but they are a little pricey at $695 shipped and also I remember EVERYONE used to have them although not so much now.  

Edit:  Also was kicking around some Chrome 95Rs but they are a little pricey at $695 shipped and also I remember EVERYONE used to have them although not so much now.  

i actually like 95r's lol. seems like allot of people are tired of them but the gunmetal or charcoal or whatever in a deepdish is a great looking wheel imo

Yeah I remember back in the early 2000s you couldn't see a modded SN95 without Cobra Rs.  But now with the Bullitts and FR500s they are not nearly as common, I think a lot of ppl went away from them BECAUSE they were so common.  Lol, one reason I want to get rid of my Bullitts, I see two SN95s go by pretty often driven by boy racers with the same setup I have just not chrome.  I also feel that the AM canned combos are getting too common and nobody is doing any actual wheel/tire research vs just buying whatever AM/LRS/whoever says works.  I spent a good deal of time researching tires and finding exactly what I wanted at a slightly over spec front (26.3") and  a half inch over spec rear (26.6") tire that fits on the rims I want.  I'm going by 94/95 Cobra specs btw of 26.1" 255/45/17 tires because that's the stang I had the longest and I feel that's a better size for a 94-04 car than the 245/45/17 the others came with.

Were those 17x10 or 10.5s?  I ask because every 17" rim I've seen are the 10.5" width.  Those tires fit great on those rims though, if they are 10.5 that's how mine should look.  If they are 10" then I can still see a slight bulge so mine would be flush which is good too.  Either way they'll fit fine.  Great looking car btw.

They were 17X10" , here is a side pic of them

river23.jpg

These are the exact wheels I had  http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Clearance/Wheels-for-Ford_9/Mustang-10th-Anniversary-Deep-Dish-Wheel-Gunmetal_4#.UxunE840_0E

I don't think it is really that th BFG's run that wide, it's just other companies run very narrow due to their measuring standard being different

This is the 275 next to a 315 sumitomo

tires28.jpg

Bought the black windowed AFS wheels tonight.  Hopefully they go out tomorrow.  Only other thing I am wondering is if I should swap the tribar pony center caps from my bullitts or go with another center cap.  This car is not a Cobra and even if it was I don't like the forward facing snakes that come with these rims.  The SVT logo always looks good but at $50/cap... no way in hell.  

I had kdw 2's in 265 on a 9" wheel and they sat just flush. I think you'd be stretching these a bit. Hopefully you don't and they look decent. IMO get black wheels, pin stripe them body color and behold, beautious.

Sent from Space

Im with steve 265 on the 9" and a 295 on the 10".  that 275 on a 10.5 is to small.

Im with steve 265 on the 9" and a 295 on the 10".  that 275 on a 10.5 is to small.

Like I said the BFGs run big.  Already measured the width of the tires myself when they arrived to make sure they matched the tirerack spec.  I was a little skeptical of ordering these sizes too.  235s measure a touch over 9" wide which matches the 9.3" tirerack spec and the rears are huge for 275s coming in at over 11" wide.  These 235s are damn near as wide as the current Nitto 265s on the fronts now and the 275s are wider than the Nitto 315s on the 17x10.5 rims now so I am not worried about them fitting ok.  

Because I knew I was going staggered 18s in any event.  Also because the tires were on special and I knew I would get them in 2 days from DE before I left for vacation.  Didn't want to push how long the tirerack special would last.  I'm currently out of state so I wanted to wait till yesterday to buy the AFS wheels that are shipping from Cali to the east coast.  They should arrive Mon-Wed sometime when I will be home vs showing up in my driveway and having to rely on someone back home to get over there and put them in the garage.  Those AFS rims are on special too for the next 6 days.  This total wheel/tire package is going to run $1300ish by the time I get done with mounting/balancing and I hope to get back $800 or so for the current setup on the car.  

Mmmmmmmm....

0323141631_zpsxwxuhfun.jpg

Except one rim had a pretty noticeable blemish on it...  AFS was really good about paying for return shipping and a new rim is on the way.  Hopefully it gets in sometime mid NEXT week and then i get them on over the weekend and start driving this mofo.  Then just need to get a day the old man can help me at the base shop where I'll be able to use a lift and hopefully bang out a 3-4 hour trans swap.  

Opinions on center caps?  I've got OEM running pony/tribars in the Bullitts right now, leaning towards swapping those over.  

i think a machined cap with just a pony on it would look clean. i hate center caps that break up the design or the length of the spokes. 

yes i photoshopped a wheel cap :P

0323141631_zpsfd9bf98e.jpg

i think a machined cap with just a pony on it would look clean. i hate center caps that break up the design or the length of the spokes. 

yes i photoshopped a wheel cap :P

0323141631_zpsfd9bf98e.jpg

that looks killer!  sweet idea!

I can't!  One of the rims was a pretty good blemish as far as the black paint and since I was sending it back I sent back another one that had a tiny nick in it too.  I am a little anal retentive about that sort of stuff and I was not exactly thrilled with having any issues at all with brand new wheels but I probably would not have sent the second rim back if the first one had not been a blem.  The replacement wheels come in tuesday, once I inspect them and find them good I am going to make an ASAP appt to mount the tires.  

Now... if the new ones are blemished or have issues I have to debate whether to demand a refund and make them pay return shipping or give them one more shot.  Hopefully it doesn't get to that.

Thanks, I love them.  Tires are slightly stretched like I figured but its not bad at all and the bead should settle a bit more as I drive them.  First impressions is the car is more nimble and rolls a LOT easier with these wheels.  Also probably helps that I did the rear brakes properly vs what the PO had.  Note to anyone doing a Cobra conversion that goes through the trouble of pulling the axles to do the rears...  please do the correct brackets instead of cutting the rear rotors to fit in GT brackets, they are only $20 each.  Apparently I had seized calipers also probably since I've had the car.  New rebuilt calipers in correct Cobra/Mach/Bullitt brackets and the stopping power went way way up.  

I'd wait till I get pics of the bead when it is light again. You may want to go wider depending on your taste. They are stretched a bit but it's not bad. The bfg specs for rims for these tires say max width for front is 9" and rear is 11". The tires did seat and balance right up. I was in and out of my favorite tire shop in 30 min.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I love those tires I have the 1st gen of them on my car in a 245/275 stagger on 17x9/10.5 and they have been my favorite street tire to date. Great dry weather traction. Decent in the rain. Terrible in the snow. I mean just plain awful. But definitely worth it for the summer performance

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I love those tires I have the 1st gen of them on my car in a 245/275 stagger on 17x9/10.5 and they have been my favorite street tire to date. Great dry weather traction. Decent in the rain. Terrible in the snow. I mean just plain awful. But definitely worth it for the summer performance

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Yeah I am not going to drive this thing in the snow/ice ever and may think twice about it in the rain.  Ever since I flushed out the transmission fluid in the Expy and overfilled its tires by 5 psi its been getting way way better mileage so I might actually not turn the stang into a true DD and keep it a sunny weather car that only will drive in the rain if it gets caught in it.  

Still need to get pics of the tire beads though.  The rim lip is out slightly past each tire sidewall but its hardly anything and I actually don't mind the look.  The rear chrome bullitts I had on there did the same thing so I'm used to it.  And just from a very brief initial impression the car feels much nimbler even though I increased tire diameter overall by nearly an inch both front and rear.  I think the 265 on an 8" wide rim up front was really jacking up cornering.  I will really find out how well the rears hook up when I get the new trans swapped in hopefully next weekend and can start nailing 2nd without worrying about it grinding.