fry

'98 Wrangler TJ project

Before anyone freaks out, I do still have the tangerine machine!

About two weeks ago I bought a 98 Jeep Wrangler. I needed a nonlowered car, I've needed one for a long time. If I hadn't gotten something else to drive, I would've just kept taring up the Stang. I bought it from a used dealer for $3800, after taxes. They wanted $5k but I bickered til they finally accepted my offer, I'm guessing just to get rid of me.

Anyway, its pretty clean, only 154k miles and never been wrecked. It has an exhaust leak, needs a tune up and has a little bit of peeling clear coat, and it needs an o2 sensor. The interior is pretty clean and it has a great top, but it needs new seat covers (which are damn near impossible to find for suck odd shaped seats) and new carpet.

Since I've had it all I've done is change the oil, the battery and clean the inside. I found out a lot about the last owner; he played golf, owned a .22, had a dog and the inability to clean up spilled dog food (which molded to the carpet) and he had lots of prescriptions for oxycodine.

I said I needed a new daily driver that was reliable and that wouldn't turn into a project... But here I am making it into a damn project. I love it though, it's kind of the mustang's polar opposite so its a fun change.

I attached a photo I took of the jeep while I was at work, but idk if it'll work.

Good to have you back Liz! You and @tony are both rockin wranglers now :2thumb: He can probably point you in the direction of some parts like seat covers and such.

And LOL at the discoveries about the previous owner :)

I usually take the doors off at work cause its so convenient and it gets hot in here. Its got the 2.5 with 4wd. Its a bad little jeep I love it!

Nice! Jeeps are a lot of fun and it seems like you got a really good deal!  You never see TJs in my area for anywhere near that price.  Have fun with it and add some pics to this thread      The Official Off-Roading Thread     when you get a chance. 

Also if you join wranglerforums and order through the quadratec representative you will get free shipping....just an fyi so you don't have to pay their ridiculous shipping prices.    

Nice! Jeeps are a lot of fun and it seems like you got a really good deal!  You never see TJs in my area for anywhere near that price.  Have fun with it and add some pics to this thread      The Official Off-Roading Thread     when you get a chance. 

Also if you join wranglerforums and order through the quadratec representative you will get free shipping....just an fyi so you don't have to pay their ridiculous shipping prices.    

heeeey..waaait a minute! you never told me about any of this  :(. i have a jeep too ya know lol. 

nah but i will be blowing up that off-roading thread this summer 

The jeep started skipping really bad a couple of days ago so I changed the plugs out yesterday since sc dot got shut down for a few days. The plugs I took out had heat damage, but I drove it after and its still skipping. I went back to the parts store and got wires but its already pissing me off. Yay for a new headache.

don't give up on her :( the guy that owned my jeep said this jeep did the same thing. missed really bad so he changed plugs wires and distributor cap. fixed all the idle and missing issues it had. 

Well, I have the wires but its pouring outside. And I just got the call to come back to work at 6:30am tomorrow. What to do, what to do... I'm glad I got a day off for the first time in 16 days and its rained all day. And I'm gonna be working in the rain the next 3 days.

I used to love working in the rain. Got a sweet ass yellow duck suit!

Sucks about the little recently discovered gremlins. Should be something cheap and easy to fix like Tony said.

Sent from Space

Thanks! I can live with the little imperfections though because like you said they are cheap to fix. Plus its nice having a super low matinance car for once! I changed the oil when I first got it and it was less than $20 for 4 quarts and a filter. Its almost $60 when I change it in the mustang.

I hit my first deer, with the Jeep, on my way to work this morning. Luckily it just bent the bumper a little. I had already planning on putting a beefier bumper on so I dont really care. It wouldn't bother me even if I wasn't though cause I dont mind if it looks a little rugged and beat up. I think I am gonna order some new carpet and seat covers, and dye the dash like tony did but I'm not really sure yet. I dont wanna get to heavy into this project while I'm still dealing with the mustang.

ya know after pulling my dash i wonder if it would be easier to just yank the seats and carpet. pull the doors off and mask the windsheild lol. just an idea after realizing what a pita pulling the dash was. 

the carpet in these things comes out like taking floormats out lol. super easy. the seats have 4 torx head bolts and they come out easy too. removing the dash EEERRR!!

I was wondering about the same thing! I know it wouldn't be as thorough as taking it a part but to be honest I dont need to be perfect, I'd just be happy not having it ugly brown. The door panels aren't even the same brown either. I know this is a loaded question but any tips or suggestions or possibly the process for prepping to dye?

I was wondering about the same thing! I know it wouldn't be as thorough as taking it a part but to be honest I dont need to be perfect, I'd just be happy not having it ugly brown. The door panels aren't even the same brown either. I know this is a loaded question but any tips or suggestions or possibly the process for prepping to dye?

what i do is:

hot ass water mixed with TSP. you can buy at any grocery store/hardware store.

get the green scotchbrite pads and scrub away

then let it dry and use 220-240 gritt sandpaper and sand it all down really good.

scrub again with scotchbrite and TSP.

let it dry and spray a good plastic primer on it. 2 coats works.

then spray your plastic paint (krylon, duplicolor, sem) all work good.

then spray a dull coat of clear. done

l

@tony you're the best! Thanks so much! I'm gonna try to do it with taking as little of the dash apart as possible. My jeep is my office though so I may have to wait for this contract to end first.

NP liz...i forgot to mention if you do decide to change colors on the plastic...def rinse that TSP water off before ya start painting anything lol. rinse it really good and that primer will stick like glue. 

Geez Liz, I swear those deer love your cars, I've never heard of someone as plagued by hitting deer as you lol.

What do you do for the DOT?

Its kind of hard to explain. I basically take pictures of trees...

Well we're shut down again for the second time this month. Its pretty nice though seeing as this will be my second day off in 27 days. At least now I'll have a little time for the jeep.

One of my friends is building a jeep for someone and I talked to him about switching my interior to black. He suggested rhino lining the floors instead of putting down carpet. I think it'd be pretty interesting but what do y'all think? I like the idea mostly because I think it'd be more durable than carpet? If you saw my floors in it right now you'd understand why I want something more durable.

Any brand "bed liner" is a good choice.  It would def be more involved than just buying new carpet and putting it in.  With the liner if the interior gets dirty, just take out the drain plugs and squirt it down with a hose... Presto, CLEAN!

Well the project I was working on for dot ran out of money, oops. So now I have to find another job. But in the mean time I'm attempting to dye my dash. Y'all say a prayer for me and my jeep!

IMG_20140325_110257_zpso1q3ewkk.jpg

Check this shit out I figured out how to post pictures from my phone, I think. This was my last day of work.

The few interior pieces that I've painted so far have turned out really nice! I'm really shocked how good it looks! But the rain is fuckin with my painting so I havent gotten very far yet.

I was looking at my bumper and noticed my tire is completely bald on the inside I have no idea how I missed it. After looking a couple seconds I saw the lower control arm. X) Nothing is ever as good as it seems.

IMG_20140328_141032_zps3aohbain.jpg

IMG_20140328_141117_zpszney0pus.jpg

IMG_20140328_141516_zps4w5yblhg.jpg

Colors look wonky in these photos cause the rain but they actually match the paint almost perfectly.

IMG_20140328_141614_zps5sjq8cnd.jpg