ttocs

rear fender flares - project started!

This is the next, and actually the last body mod I have had in my mind just not sure I am brave/stupid enough to try it out and good enough to pull it off...   I would like to try and flare it a 1/2"-3/8" to try and squeeze a 19"x11" wide wheel tucked back there, its really just for looks and to see if I can do it....    I decided to try it out on my parts car first to see if I wanted to try it or say screw it.

3611951395866455-39f5a75149.jpg

2015951395866423-a673274994.jpg

5546871395866369-5027d025d4.jpg

5549621395866395-27747bec8c.jpg

4921871395866345-c788bf37a0.jpg

I think I want to cut it down a little further front and back.  This is a 1/2" flare and the cardboard is 2" long.  I would like it have it so that it really isn't that obvious that it was flared, until you notice.....  Like it?  Hate it?  Change it?

• Supporting Member

I think if done well its extremely cool and a unique touch that seems to be lacking in the SN world. If you do this however, how will you ensure the side to side accuracy? I understand you are using a template, but considering there is no mold I have to assume some margin of error. 

Either way, you have my vote, and that is go for it!

I think if done well its extremely cool and a unique touch that seems to be lacking in the SN world. If you do this however, how will you ensure the side to side accuracy? I understand you are using a template, but considering there is no mold I have to assume some margin of error. 

Either way, you have my vote, and that is go for it!

Good question!  I was going to make two pieces out of wood that I will use to trace the lines I need to follow.  Nothing fancy, just tape a sharpie to it and a simple step in it will allow me to trace the shape of the fender opening up higher where I need it, and allow me to do the same marks/cuts on both sides. 

I just went out and looked at it again and I definitely need to come down further both front and rear.  By the way the bumper screws to the inside of the fender I am pretty sure I can cut down past the bumper line, pull it out and then when the screw inside the fender is put back it should pull the bumper out the small amount I might need it. 

I think its a go..........

I vote YES, I've been planning to do this for years but haven't yet taken the plunge. I always end up with too much else going on to spend the time on it. This should help me decide how I want to do it by watching how you tackle it :2thumb:

Got out the saw and got to work today, also got out my gopros to record it but will have to see how it comes out. I will spare you the repeat of the first cut as it was the same on the green as it was on the red car.  This time rather then using cardboard to get the template I need for the metal I used tape.  I extended it up as far as it needed to go too look natural and then marked it and cut it out with a knife.

3267221395952423-118eb4fe30.jpg

4584771395952456-114b239990.jpg

That is with just over 1/2" pulled out at the top.  after putting the tape on the metal I traced it out and cut the pieces out into sections to make it easier to work with.  These have not been fine trimmed yet and only cut with the saw so forgive the rough edges that are not matching up yet, those will all be trimmed to fit perfectly prior to welding. 

8905491395952391-141c82e847.jpg

4639501395952520-107337a279.jpg

7818151395952352-82d68113bc.jpg

So there is a lot of grinding/filing/sanding to get them to all line up perfectly but it looks like it will work...

I'm anxious to see the end result. The rest of your work has been very good so this should be as well. There is a guy on SVTP that goes by GluesEyes that had his rear quarters flared and it's pretty cool looking; I'm not sure if he's a member here. I always thought it was interesting that SN95s are the only generation Mustang to not have any sort of fender flares at all. Just nice and smooth.

hmmmm....so you wont be removing any material behind the flared section? 

are you planing to weld each square of metal together to form a curved flare?

I will be cutting a small amount of the old green fender away but there really is less then an inch between my cut and where it meets up with the interior body panels.  If I didn't remove it am afraid with the wrong tire it could rub it and cut it so I am going to try and make it as smooth as I can inside.

i cant get a good grasp of how this is going to look yet with all the green tape still on the fender lol.  

Yea I know its hade too see a project in an early phase like this.  I have it pictured in my head and to me I will be successful if you really can't really tell that it was done.  I think by the time its done and I fill the gaps around the brake vent and smooth that into the flare, if I can get a really wicked/wide wheel/tire tucked up into it the way I want that should be the only hint that it was done.  I am hoping that it gets brought up only after I say what size the wheel is and they wonder how that can fit on an sn.....

yea i was going to say i thought the purpose of flaring the fenders was to squeeze a 19x11 in there. seems like it may need flared a little more actually then completely remove all the material behind the flare since you're on bags. but i never really measured shit and don't know your wheel offsets or backspacing. 

It looks like the material that is in the wheel well that I will be rolling when its all in place is longer then 5/8" so I kinda hope that when I roll it that it will cover any gaps.  I might cut some vertical strips an inch or two wide of both the outer fender metal and the inner material(that is usually rolled)and then bend them both together so I can weld them in place to both make the fender stronger and to smooth out the inside of the fender to not catch the tire.  One way or another would probably need to  spot weld some pieces inside to smooth it all out which is fine I like my welder  :)

ok so you're going to be rolling the already in place metal to meet the contours of the flares you'll be fabbing? 

just my .02 not doubting your abilities at all my dude. i would just find a tad more of an aggressive flare in width...maybe a simple universal one...then mock it up..trace the pattern and cut the material behind it completely away. then if you decide to run a +10 offset 19x11 in the rear....you're good lol. be something to see with a widened rear section on some wide wheels and aired out man. go wider man...wider :P 

Remember the lips is pulled out so I am pretty sure with a few well placed cuts I should be able to bend the old outside fender out, and then roll the material on the inside up to meet it to basically form the new outside lip of the inner fender and hopefully leaving it smooth enough to not catch any rubber.  I know I could pull it a little further but I really don't want this to be a obvious modification and I think anymore is just going too be too much for me.

what I like/want and will/can get are different things at the moment.  I mean I would love to go with Kompression wheels but probably not willing to pay the price of admission to ride that ride.  Not sure what other options where will be though to maximize the fattest wheel I can in flare.

what I like/want and will/can get are different things at the moment.  I mean I would love to go with Kompression wheels but probably not willing to pay the price of admission to ride that ride.  Not sure what other options where will be though to maximize the fattest wheel I can in flare.

i fell in luve with the kompression split 5 spokes. i too couldn't swallow the price. so i found after allot of research a wheel that imo was just as clean and pretty much the same design.

kompression wheels

f1655bff.jpg

TSW mirabeau's

fc0e3c1a-cb8b-45e2-8fa4-70006934fbc8_zps

and they make them in a 19x11 :)  just throwing them out there. 

I know there are more then a few that make that size just a question of if the backspace is right for the flare and air bags when its aired out.  Still just hoping my pot stocks will have another good few months again and I can afford to reward myself for make a good investment, by pissing it down another :P  So far this year has been great for me in the pot stock market hopefully it keeps going...

Had a bad morning yesterday and thought I might end up in the ER again but was thankful that it calmed down.  I am too motivated to not work on this so I went out last night and burned them all into place.  Happy to say it looks like it will work by the time it is smoothed into the brake vent and back to the missing fuel door, anyone notice an extra 5/8" of space there?

3277831396109126-6c8d5f2d26.jpg

6549241396109096-a9bcce1ef2.jpg

Looks good so far, I am a little confused as to exactly what your trying to achieve but Ill just keep watching. Not sure if you knew but a simple lip roll you wouldn't have a problem with an 11" wheel.

yes I know heard that a couple of times now but then everyone seems to forget that the car is bagged.  Sure 11" fits great until the car is dropped much, let to the ground aired out.  I want to try and fit an 11" wide wheel and still keep everything functional = no rubbing........  Got the welds ground down and almost ready for filler.  I am going to finish rolling the inside of it and then weld that back to the original stock fender material to ensure its smooth inside and for added strength. 

4703781396119421-306764497f.jpg

9727511396119451-22ae870e39.jpg

2484611396119475-da695d7914.jpg

You work quick Scott, I would have grabbed my grinder about and looked at the car, then wimped out and put it away until I built up the courage to cut my quarters about 20x before I actually manned up and did it lol.

Have you cycled the suspension up to check and see if it tucks in yet? The flare looks nice and subtle, I like it. The tough thing about flaring our cars is the lack of a flare to begin with. The new edge cars lend themselves to it really well because they already have a flare, but our curvy fenders/quarters are huge swooping panels which makes it hard to do. You either have to blend the flare out over a large span to hide/blend it like you're doing, or intentionally define a flare similar to the new edges. I've seen both and so far blending it in looks best...just looks funky having a defined flare unless the car has a really wild body like the Tiger Racing fenders/front, big road race wing, etc.

Keep up the good work, nice to see some outside the box body mods on an SN :2thumb:

no turning back now lol. good luck with this man hope it works out for ya! i know what u mean about tucking an 11" wheel. i was tuckin a 10.5" and it was maxed out with no space left at all. 

I think it will work.  I went out and was able to roll the inner fender in and cut some of it off so that the rolled fender now meets the old stock fender material.  I would love to weld them together but I can't get my helmet/light and everything I need up in there, facing out to do it.....

no no no I NEED a lift :) .  Welding backwards, that would be interesting...  Pulled everything out of the back seat area and pulled off the brake vent to prep it too smooth in.  I am considering replacing the plastic mesh with something different but not sure what.

It was raining and really humid all weekend so I put a light coat of primer on it to keep it from rusting.  The primer can go before/after as the filler and it are made to bond together as they are too the metal.  Worst case scenario though a wire brush and the die grinder would take it all off in only a few minutes work.

thinking about trying to change the plastic mesh into something like this.

Hexagonal_perforated_metal_mesh_8138_5.j

not sure but probably.

Oh ok just wondering, I think black would look best, maybe a gloss black would reflect some light and highlight the honeycomb detail? Just thinking out loud.

It would definitely be gloss if its done, but not sure it would be worth the effort and the wait to get the material in to do it.  I am sure I would be the only on that ever noticed it....

was so damn happy to have nice weather for me to get back to work.  Sat in the hospital all last weekend dreaming of finishing the drivers side....  It is nice because it gives me time to plan but the waiting sucks.

So please forgive the amature welds still learning..  Got some nice smooth welds and some that burned through....

3218611397868095-270a4f8772.jpg

If you look above you can also see where I started off by permanently attaching the brake vent in preparation to smooth it into the flare.

7381361397868122-abdb47e265.jpg

Tomorrow starts the grinding and onto the body filler.  Happy to realize that this is the last of the body mods I have planned.  Finish this and is time to pull the motor and prep for paint.