Det_Riot

Let's talk about slicks!

Now that I've obtained some nice drag wheels, I need to start learning more about strip specific tires. Looking for some answers in the following questions so I can make a proper educated tire selection.

1. What's the difference in a stiff vs. Soft wall slick? Obviously one is stiff and one is soft but why would you decide to run one over the other?

2. Are all slicks supposed to be run with tire tubes? What are advantages/disadvantages of running them with or without tubes?

3. Is a softer compound always better?

4. Aside from a mickey thompson et drag, what other reputable slick choices are out there?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1. From what I know the softer sidewall is better for a stick car because it will wrinkle and absorb a lot of the shock from hard launches

2. You don't have to but racing tires will leak are so tubes will keep you from having to air your tires up before you put them on to go to the track

3. I think this is preference and also what your set up contradicts to what type of compound you should run

4. Bfg,Goodyear,Hoosier are all good tire brands ; hope this helps any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Duff Daddy @F8L GT @Knuckles @Froush @SniveTroll @The Mk2 any insight?

1. From what I know the softer sidewall is better for a stick car because it will wrinkle and absorb a lot of the shock from hard launches

2. You don't have to but racing tires will leak are so tubes will keep you from having to air your tires up before you put them on to go to the track

3. I think this is preference and also what your set up contradicts to what type of compound you should run

4. Bfg,Goodyear,Hoosier are all good tire brands ; hope this helps any.

Hmmm from what I was picking up earlier 1 was the opposite. But I'm not an expert.

The softer side walls will also spring back when they wrinkle and cause wheel spin and are less stable at higher speeds than the stiffer side wall I have also heard the the stiff side wall prevents the sidewall from wearing out before the tires contact surface because the softer compound tires were having problems with compounds in the softer tires

5spds like a little harder side wall like what @PapaSmurf is running. But in reality @Det_Riot, I would just get a 26x8 or 26x10 Et street or Hoosier qtp and be done

Is a qtp a full slick? Why do you suggest a radial over a slick?

I didn't suggest a radial. I suggested 2 dot bias ply slicks

Ahh gotcha. I always thought the et street was always a radial.