sn95cobra

Seats and Roll Cages

I want to see or hear from guys that have put aftermarket seats in.  I am trying to decide between 2 options.

1. 4 point cage with Kirkey drag race seats.

2. Corbeau clubmans - no cage

1996 cobra.

The car gets drag raced 5 weekends a year, and about 1200 miles a year is what I've averaged for milage over the last 8 years.  The car runs low 13's and no plans to get too much faster, it's only for fun.  What do guys think

I wouldn't bother with a cage. Just a good set of subframe connectors. If you aren't planning on going faster than 13s there's no real reason for it. I'd get a nice set of corbeaus, recaro, or sparcos and call it a day. If you want to use a 5 pt harness then just get a harness bar

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of the shoulder bolsters though, they just seem to constricting for a street car. Plus if I'm only drag racing why would I need them.

Bolsters like that you'd never even be able to tell they were there. A kirkey is far more constrictive than a corbeau

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

thanks I'd love to hear more thoughts to sway me one way or the other.  I do have subframe connectors, and I never use the back seat, it's gone, so a 4 point cage wouldn't bother anything.  I've sat in corbeau fx1 and thought they were ok. 

Never sat in a kirkey.   most people seem to say they are not bad either.  I'm assuming a 4point cage would be less than 20 lbs, which alongside kirkeys would be lighter than a set of corbeaus...  not sure though...

I have had Kirkey pro street drags in a previous car, I believe they were a 18° or 20° lay back. After adding some high density foam in the back for my spine they were really comfy. I took many long drives in them making trips from TN to TX. Now I have a Kirkey intermediate road race seat for my Cobra. I don't have any miles on it, but it is a bit more supportive and the cover is more padded than the pro street. The pro street cover was a black velour type material and was okay. For the intermediate I got the black air knit and it is much nicer.

That said, they aren't for everyone. Nearly everyone that rode in the car with the pro streets complained about getting in and out of them. Didn't bother me climbing in them. Also I had a 15" wide in both sides which not everyone fit well in. A buddy of mine that is about 300 lbs loved riding in the car, but his ass was on, not in, the seat. Really crammed in there. Funny stuff. Prob not safe looking back on it. I went with 16" for the intermediate. It fits me and my gf good. Any one else that rides in it can deal with it.

They also might be a little overkill for a 13 sec car, but hey if you want them you want them. Won't hurt anything really. Remember though aluminum seats like Kirkeys must be supported in the back by a mounting pad from the harness bar of a roll bar/cage. You'll also have to build custom mounts for the Kirkeys. They sell some aluminum 90° brackets but they will be too low by themselves unless you're really really tall.

Also I think a 4 pt with mounting pads, main hoop, rear down bars, and harness bar would be more than 20 lbs in mild steel. Not much less in chrome moly. I can weigh a mild steel main hoop and bars if you're really curious. One last thing is seat belts. I used the stock belt with my pro streets and never had any problems. If this is a street car and you want a harness the only thing I'd put in are Schroth ASM belts for safety reasons. Just my 2 cents.

My roll bar is no where near my bog ole melon to warrant padding.

Your cage is closer to your melon than the passenger window that you could hit in certain drastic accidents.  Padding isn't that expensive either.

I  have the same corbeau's as Rolocut.  but mine is a daily driver and those are WAY more comfortable than stock.  The shoulder bolsters are there to keep you in place.  If you want more of a drag setup, go with the kirkeys and a roll bar.  you'll need the bar for the 5 point harness.

I have FX1s and I like them. They aren't ridiculously snug like some Bride and Momo seats I've sat in.

Also, shoulder bolsters really don't bother you much. With a bucket seat and harnesses, your movement will be restricted already but the shoulder bolsters don't make it worse.

IMG_2976_zps3b1cadd3.jpg