Brian

ABS Light on after rear end build

Hey yall,

I had a shop install my upgraded rear end components today which consist of the following:

Moser 31 Spline Axles

Detriot TrueTrac LSD

Strange 3.90 Ring and Pinion

FRPP Install Kit

FRPP Diff Girdle

Royal Purple Gear Oil

As you can see in the link for the axles, it says "Note: With ABS adapter." so I'm not sure what would be the reason why the ABS light would come on. Now I haven't had a chance to look the car over because I actually had to let my work know that I would be running late so I could get the car home. I will be calling the shop that installed it and ask if they installed the ABS adapter.

What do you think is the issue? Lack of adapter install? Broken adapter? Give me some ideas and some things I can check.

Thanks,

Brian

My mosers did not come with the exciter rings for the abs. I had to swap them from stock axles to new axles. Also its possible one of the sensors got damaged when trying to push the axles in to get the c clips out

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'd look to see if they're plugged in or if they even put them on first and foremost. Seems basic but could have been easily overlooked

Yeah. I was going to do that but I didn't have time. I will probably crawl under it tomorrow when I get home from work if I don't end up passing out due to lack of sleep.

My mosers did not come with the exciter rings for the abs. I had to swap them from stock axles to new axles. Also its possible one of the sensors got damaged when trying to push the axles in to get the c clips out
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but to fix that would the axles need to come back out? Hopefully if that's the case the shop will pay for another ABS adapter and fix it for free since I gave them brand new in the box parts that had never been even opened.

Another theory is that the box didn't have the part in it...

If they didn't swap the exciter rings over then yes they have to come out. when Moser says they have the abs adapter it means they have a step machined to accept the ring

If they didn't swap the exciter rings over then yes they have to come out. when Moser says they have the abs adapter it means they have a step machined to accept the ring

Ok. Thanks for this info. I will contact the shop tomorrow. I guess maybe he just didn't know that had to be done. He should fix it for free since he's a stand up guy plus it's their fault haha. Luckily he did the inspection BEFORE the rear end build.

Also do you by chance know what those rings look like (possibly provide a picture) because I have the OEM axles in the box at my house I can check tomorrow when I get home.

They basically look like a gear behind the hub. I will see if I can get you a pic

Ok thanks bud. I was looking on Google and I think I know what to look for. Sucks that now I might have to wait longer.... guess my clutch isn't going in this weekend :(

I need some locals near me who aren't so stupid about helping someone out ha. I wanna learn and the people who are able to teach won't. Anyways, thanks for the info.

Ok thanks bud. I was looking on Google and I think I know what to look for. Sucks that now I might have to wait longer.... guess my clutch isn't going in this weekend :(

I need some locals near me who aren't so stupid about helping someone out ha. I wanna learn and the people who are able to teach won't. Anyways, thanks for the info.

and to think you wanna move out more into the country lol you'll never find answers then!

and to think you wanna move out more into the country lol you'll never find answers then!

Haha.... truth. I just don't wanna live next door to anyone. I will still be able to meet up ;)

No prob man. If you were closer my lift is always open to good guys looking for help when needed

It's unfortunate that the good help is always on the other side of the country. :(

Update:

I checked the old axles and they are bare as can be. Just the shafts & hubs. I would assume that the exciter rings were installed. Now I need to get under the car and figure out if it was damaged. Is the sensor able to be seen by just getting the car in the air and where abouts would I be looking?

Thanks in advance.

Brian, the rings are somewhat hard to see with the rotors/brake dust shields in place, not sure if you can see them or not. Here is a picture of them, maybe pop a rotor off to see. Also, you can see the sensor sticking through, the small pin-type thing that is close to the teeth on the gear. Normally there is a dust shield on there too (not shown in the pic) that will make the ring harder to see.

310.jpg

When I did my gears in my old SRA years ago, it was impossible to get the ABS sensors out without destroying them. I ended up having to break them to get them out, then bought a new pair (they're not cheap unfortunately) maybe your guy broke them and didn't realize it?

Possibly, I mean like I said sometimes they are impossible to get out without breaking them. But if he broke them he should be up front with you about it and try to work something out with you.

Stupid question, but is there any reason he would have unplugged the ABS sensor wires where they plug in under the back seat? Easy thing to check, don't even have to jack the car up. I can't think why he would have unplugged them inside the car but who knows...

Possibly, I mean like I said sometimes they are impossible to get out without breaking them. But if he broke them he should be up front with you about it and try to work something out with you.

Stupid question, but is there any reason he would have unplugged the ABS sensor wires where they plug in under the back seat? Easy thing to check, don't even have to jack the car up. I can't think why he would have unplugged them inside the car but who knows...

That's how I look at it. Even if it was something that's impossible to not break he should at least let me know he's going to replace it if it did break. They asked me if they wanted me to have them look into it or not and I said no because I figured this was going to cost me money. Then have them go well the ABS sensor broke so that's going to be another 500 dollars and me get livid. I'd rather find out on my own then bring it back and be able to say well it looks like during the install the sensor was broke so yall should replace it free of charge.

I'm not sure if they did or not. I would assume they wouldn't but I can check. They didn't seem to have gone into the side of the car at all that I noticed.

BTW, thanks for the info & picture. I was on my phone for the last reply.

I am going to check on Summit now just to get an idea. I was kind of hoping they would have to open the rear end back up so I could buy these C-Clip Elims but I guess I'll just pass on them.

whats safely? 1 plug each. unsnake through the frame and unbolt. ive removed them several times for brake calipers and cleaning (periodically).

The reason I say that is because from Dan was saying that it's sometimes almost impossible to remove them without breaking the sensor. If you have the rear ABS sensor that isn't broken and it will work on my car I might be interested in buying it from you if you're willing to sell it.

I told Ryan (OnyxCobra) to PM you about your ABS since you took it out. Figured it would make you some money.

Mine were tough to get out when I did my gears and axles. I let them sit in pb blaster for a long time and slowly worked them out

Do you run ABS in your car now? If not do you have the sensor for the rear?

Do you run ABS in your car now? If not do you have the sensor for the rear?

No, abs has been deleted with a delete manifold but my sensors are still on

Manifold vs pump

2012-06-26_11-35-44_714.jpg

Had the same ABS delete block in my 98 and it worked great. Still can't believe I paid $105 shipped as I could probably make it myself for $30 with the material :/

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

I got this one for 50 shipped. I would've had more into buying the metric taps to thread my own

I got this one for 50 shipped. I would've had more into buying the metric taps to thread my own

You didn't buy it from me did you ? I sold mine for $50 shipped.

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

the ABS sensor i ended up breaking i tried to pry out from the side that it bolts to. The other side i tapped out from the gear side of it and it slid right out no problem. Wish I had known that for the first one lol.