ReplicaR

ReplicaR's Time Trial Mustang build *Refactoring begins Page 3*

Another small update. Checked the weight last night. As it sits right now with battery in the front and stock engine, I'm at 3420 lbs and 57/43 weight distribution. This was measured with full tank of fuel. It will be nice to see where the weight will be once the motor is in.

Another small update. Checked the weight last night. As it sits right now with battery in the front and stock engine, I'm at 3420 lbs and 57/43 weight distribution. This was measured with full tank of fuel. It will be nice to see where the weight will be once the motor is in.

Hence the 1" engine setback option with the Griggs K member, pretty sure the MM K comes with it too....

Funny you mention this... the slo-maro is way better for packaging, as far as engine placement and weight distribution.... but you ever try to change plugs on one? id rather beat myself to death with my own arm....

Yeah, I've had a 4th gen LT1. Working on that car was a bit difficult. Optispark went out the second day I've had the car.

Damn... that sucks... Ive only helped on repairs on 4th gen... never actually owned one... no wonder you saw the "Light" and went with a Stang... ahhaah.

More pictures with more stuff.

Here is the old engine. Goodbye old friend, you've served me well.

2pru51d.jpg

Now, something seems to be missing here. Where did I put this thing?

2qx6dxw.jpg

Oh yeah, here it is :)

25iyipi.jpg

2a7yamf.jpg

Close up shot of the valve train.

2jb7g2v.jpg

As of right now, the build is slightly behind schedule. The plan is to have the motor in the car on friday, and finally fire it up monday. Tuned and delivered should be end of next week.

In development land, refactoring is something we call when an issue has been discovered, and it requires rethinking the approach and reworking the code. The next step of Mustang project is pretty much refactoring. I’ve been rethinking about why I can’t really harness the speed as well as I would like, and I’ve put together a comprehensive list of what will be tackled.

1.    Front end geometry: When the engine was built, I decided to shift it back on k-member 1 inch backward for better weight distribution. One thing that I discovered is that when you do that, the front sump of the oil pan gets in the way of the steering rack, and the rack has to be shifted down to clear it, which in turn requires to adjust for bumpsteer. Doesn’t seem like a big issue until you realize that even when you max out the bumpsteer adjustment, you are still nowhere near where it should be. To remedy this, I had the engine moved back to original position, set the rack back to the center on the adjustable bushings, and dialed in the bumpsteer with the gauge to almost no change at all (as close as it would get to 0 toe change).

2.    Hydroboost: As some may know, I’ve converted my car to hydroboost in order to be able to utilize the brakes to their maximum potential. The conversion consisted of hydroboost unit with master cylinder and pedal box from 96-04 V8 powered car to line up the pushpin with the pedal. I decided to power the unit with the stock 94 power steering pump. The issue is, that the pedal doesn’t feel anything like you would find in a normal OEM application. The travel is short, the pressure is really hard, feels like stepping on a rubber ball. I’ve had a chance to drive a 96 GT, which has a full factory hydrboost system, and I’ve realized that the pedal feel is completely wrong on my car. Since the power steering pump is the only piece that still hasn’t been converted, I assume this is what I need to fix. I have to keep a couple of things in consideration, such as size of power steering pulley and crank pulley to make sure that I don’t over-drive or under-drive the pump, and mounting it will be a separate challenge all together, since they are completely different mounting styles.

3.    Oil rings: The motor is consuming oil like crazy. Having eliminated everything else, looks like oil rings are not doing their job well. I can see it smoking oil out of the tailpipe, and level goes down pretty quickly. Looks like Wild Pony Motorsports strikes again. Absolutely everything that shop touched about this motor is total shit. I’ve asked for a quote regarding how much it would cost to fix the issue, still waiting on the current shop to get back to me on that.

More updates to come soon hopefully.

thoroughly interested in the hydro boost problem.  i've been toying with that swap for a while now.  good luck on the rings though, that sucks

The whole idea of hydrooboost is a decent one, especially because it's a factory setup, but you may want to just look into a vacuum pump instead. For me it wasn't an option, since a vacuum pump won't be able to keep up with high demand of road racing, but for a street car, it should be more than sufficient. Something else to keep in mind is that hydroboost is an afterthought. Even Ford admitted that once they went to S197 chassis, and they had enough room to mount the vacuum assisted brake setup. It doesn't have the feel of vacuum brakes (much better ability to read what's happening with brakes), there is some cross chatter if you're trying turn and brake at the same time. If I could have made the vacuum brakes work well, I would have kept them.

Got the parts necessary for the conversion of power steering pump. The mockup will be done next week. Just the pump and pulley are necessary for now. If I can get those working, the lines and reservoir should be a breeze.

10mvubd.jpg

• Like 1

The whole idea of hydrooboost is a decent one, especially because it's a factory setup, but you may want to just look into a vacuum pump instead. For me it wasn't an option, since a vacuum pump won't be able to keep up with high demand of road racing, but for a street car, it should be more than sufficient. Something else to keep in mind is that hydroboost is an afterthought. Even Ford admitted that once they went to S197 chassis, and they had enough room to mount the vacuum assisted brake setup. It doesn't have the feel of vacuum brakes (much better ability to read what's happening with brakes), there is some cross chatter if you're trying turn and brake at the same time. If I could have made the vacuum brakes work well, I would have kept them.

13 hours ago, Evilcw311 said:

So why switching to hydroboost??  I haven't read too many things about using it on a pushrod car

The reason for hydroboost conversion is because the cam profile weakened the brakes significantly (not enough vacuum). It was either this, or manual brakes conversion, which I'm not completely thrilled about. I only have the hydroboost unit and pedal box right now, powered by stock power steering pump, which is why the pedal feel is total trash. Hoping converting to the correct power steering pump will take care of that, because that would be the whole hydroboost system end to end.

Dmitry, did you retain the 94 GT brake lines from the proportioning valve to the ABS block or swap those out as well? I'm trying to determine if I can simply build two lines to connect the hydrobooster to my existing 95 GT system or if I need to totally replace everything.

10 hours ago, White95 said:

Dmitry, did you retain the 94 GT brake lines from the proportioning valve to the ABS block or swap those out as well? I'm trying to determine if I can simply build two lines to connect the hydrobooster to my existing 95 GT system or if I need to totally replace everything.

I did. As far as I was able to tell, no difference in the brake bias or the way ABS functioned before or after. I highly doubt you have to swap over ABS and proportioning valve from the hydroboost car, since all you're changing is how the brakes are assisted, not necessarily how the ABS system works.

59 minutes ago, ReplicaR said:

I did. As far as I was able to tell, no difference in the brake bias or the way ABS functioned before or after. I highly doubt you have to swap over ABS and proportioning valve from the hydroboost car, since all you're changing is how the brakes are assisted, not necessarily how the ABS system works.

This is great news. Do you happen to recall the fitting size (thread pitch) needed?

9 hours ago, White95 said:

This is great news. Do you happen to recall the fitting size (thread pitch) needed?

for the brake lines?  Don't sweat that stuff even if you have to move the lines and rebend them you can cut the old fittings off of the old lines and reuse them on the new lines.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ttocs said:

for the brake lines?  Don't sweat that stuff even if you have to move the lines and rebend them you can cut the old fittings off of the old lines and reuse them on the new lines.

Genius 

They are around 20 dollars, but I've reviewed the site more, and it seems like they have very specific applications. Now that I've done a bit of memory searching, I realized that my lines were custom made by the shop that handled the swap.

• Like 1

So, I took the car back. After driving it around the block, I can definitely tell that the brake pedal is a bit better. There is definitely more travel, it feels a bit more OEM-ish, although still a bit harder than I'd like it to be. Even though it's a full factory setup now, it still doesn't feel as nice as vacuum brakes did on the pedal and modulation, but it will have to do. The biggest thing for me now is to relearn how to brake on this car, since I've been spoiled by outstanding system in my daily driver, and I haven't had any seat time in this in almost a full year. Next up is the tune rework and a trip alignment shop, after which the car will get a shakedown at the autoX.