Prokiller

Full Moon Friday Garage w/ attached house

got the drywall pieces cut wednesday night.  hung one of them, but didn't feel like getting more into it as it was getting late.  the wife might do something with it today; if not, i'll finish that part on saturday.  

1 hour ago, Prokiller said:

got the drywall pieces cut wednesday night.  hung one of them, but didn't feel like getting more into it as it was getting late.  the wife might do something with it today; if not, i'll finish that part on saturday.  

I have to do some drywall in my garage.  When they pulled the A/C unit from in there, the box it is built on was all moldy inside, and of course the drywall is moldy.  It's a sealed system so it should not be affecting air quality, but I still want to get it out of there.  Just not looking forward to it lol!

I will update my thread soon.  I've done quite a bit since moving in.

6 hours ago, Number Tew said:

Looks like a good ol EastWing hammer.  Those are well made.

yup, love that hammer.  i think i've had it now close to 20 years.

the wife spackled yesterday.  needs to cure and then can be sanded a bit.  don't have much of that to do, really only the upper wall part has to be done good because that will be painted.  the bottom half will be covered so i'm not overly worried about it. 

35184578554_095ec5142b_k.jpg 

we also tore out the vanity mirror/light setup.  

35634638550_8093273c90_k.jpg

i kinda of figured to find this but it seems so much bigger in real life than in my head.  well...as you all know, projects take on a life of their own.... so now we're going to blow out the closet wall and finish some of this space over the stairwell and use it for storage.

35184578564_4f5ce3ec1c_k.jpg

35852826802_0caaba5233_k.jpg

this wall is coming out

36024131045_3707a6de02_k.jpg

[-]
PauseReset
wpm:

drywall demo is complete.  only thing left to demo is the stud in the middle but i will pull that out when i have the new frame built and ready to go back in.  it's shouldn't be load bearing....but i don't want to mess around with it either.

35900763472_42ed52c179_b.jpg

35900763712_7c2aee5ea0_b.jpg

35900763572_ed560d271d_b.jpg

wifey hard are work today...sanded all the walls down.  doesn't really seem to need anymore spackle.  she did a great job.

35230068064_6be8233e52_b.jpg

35230067164_ab0f32073d_b.jpg

35900763752_782c16e57e_b.jpg

was off last week so i could try and wrap this bathroom up.  got the majority of it done.  i didn't want to go balls out till 3am every morning killing myself on my vacation so its not completely done, but what isn't done is manageable.  i also had to help my parents move and my birthday thrown in there so that was a couple days i couldn't work on it.

first to get it out of the way, here's a side project the wife has been working on.  sanded this down to barewood and then stained it to match pretty darn close to our entertainment center cabinets.

36289192271_89a45e5381_b.jpg36425873275_cb6857e150_b.jpg

now back to the bathroom.  first pulled the vanity out since we planned to get all up in there the whole week.  last of the tiles officially gone gone gone!

36425871695_334eb063fa_b.jpg

starting the frames built for the shelves that will be put in the stairwell.

36289189611_82488eb83b_b.jpg36029119160_5c791a83bb_b.jpg

3/4" plywood should hold anything i would ever need to put in there.  it held my fatass while installing it so we're good to go.

35618196903_886d9abfc0_b.jpg35618196893_f87f4b8869_b.jpg

and now that the hard part of that build is done, time to cover up the hole in the wall where the medicine cabinet was.  we also had to move the outlet on the right to accommodate the wider vanity and mirror.

also note the new box installed for the vanity light.

35590950584_d5b9019b6a_b.jpg

ready for spackle.  you can also see the line where the wainscotting will go up to.

36425875115_bf94fcdac6_b.jpg

first panel installed

36289193131_d11c63074f_b.jpg

while i was cutting the rest of the panels and getting all that ready for install, she sanded down the door and the closet door.

36029120730_4d77d57626_b.jpg35590948904_6189428a4b_b.jpg

all wainscoting is installed.

36425873705_192c97a66f_b.jpg

36425873685_fc8185cfb7_b.jpg36289192111_c43429881b_b.jpg36289189591_5f5240fd2e_b.jpg

pulled the toilet out to finish the back wall piece and because the floor was next.

36289189561_0422885d23_b.jpg

now that that was finished, it was onto the floor.  laying out all the planks to make sure we didn't just install them and have the same pieces side by side or get stuck with ones we didn't like.

36425871665_49b62496ba_b.jpg

started in the closet and worked our way out.  around the door frames was the hardest parts.  had to cut them a bit to get the pieces to slide under.  this stuff was super easy to work with though.  score it a couple times and snap.  

36425871655_5d1fc2b51d_b.jpg

almost done

35590946484_3848caf16d_b.jpg

and done

35618193933_552a3ccd7a_b.jpg

i couldn't have actually planned it fitting perfectly around the toilet flange.  it was just dumb luck

36289196111_f28a1821c5_b.jpg36289195411_03426cbc4a_b.jpg

it's now friday morning and time to setup my trim station.

36029122200_3a606c7832_b.jpg

we were rocking along and i didn't take any pictures of the trim but here's where we left it for the night.  all the baseboard and door trim is done.  then moved onto this small area of chair rail.  new switch and switch plate also installed.

36289195041_0805d55a84_b.jpg

36289194331_c8cdca0c33_b.jpg

35618195743_6b4b9bf053_b.jpg

had to move my parents on saturday.  Sunday i was so tired from that and just frustrated with them because they had nothing ready to go; it was a fiasco....but i digress....anyway, all we did was the behind the toilet/shower area and reinstalled the toilet so we could use that again.

36289192611_6809e69c79_b.jpg

and that brings it up to date.  the plan is to try and make a frame from the baseboard trim for the vanity mirror tonight and get that installed.  which will then allow me to cut/install the last bit of chair rail for that wall.  then put the crap vanity back in for now.  we're talking with a friend of the family who owns a custom cabinetry business about making us one instead of an off the shelf one.  finding one we like has proven to be very difficult.  at least one that isn't stupid expensive.

other than that, the only HURDLE persay is i don't know how i want to trim around the window.  it's inset and smaller so i'll have to get creative with it.  

• Thanks 1

haven't done much to it other than figure out what and how we want to do the trim around the window and mirror.  have to get some wood to do the window before i can go any farther into it.  and have to get another piece or two of the chair rail trim as we decided to use that instead of the baseboard trim around the mirror.  the baseboard trim is MDF and not thick enough for what i want to do.  so we're going to use the chair rail trim, cut off the large flat section on the bottom and then notch the back for the mirror to sit in.  wordy, but once i get into it and snap some pics, you'll get what i mean.  but it's currently on hold for the weekend for the AM show.  

• Thanks 1

finished up the trim this weekend and got the mirror built and hung.  making a window sill was fun.

36510524703_caa4889466_b.jpg

and it installed.  had to extend a bit of trim from the edge of the window frame 2 1/4" to bring it flush with the wall.  so that's the wood you see there between the window and the trim.  i got those all flush with some shimming.  the sill is not flush because i spent probably an hour trying to figure out how to make that work and it just wasn't going to happen unless i wanted to get really creative with a table saw.  and i like my fingers too much to try that.  so in the end, there's an edge that's about an 1/8".  i can live with it.

36486146294_80b654eeb9_b.jpg

decided on which trim to put underneath the sill.  originally the plan was to put the same window trim, but then threw up a piece of the chair rail trim and really liked the look of it.  it flows with the edge of the sill sooo smoothly.

36486146254_e853e7e091_b.jpg

final bits done.

36510524683_6953ecc6b7_b.jpg

should have taken more pictures of the mirror build but such is the mess of sawdust that i didn't.  original plan was to use the window/door/baseboard trim as the mirror frame, but it's just fiber and wasn't going to be thick enough to notch it out for the mirror to sit in.  but the chair rail trim was too big.  so a little bit of table sawing fixed that problem.  cut the flat section of the trim off so it is only the bulky part.  left enough meat on it to notch it for the mirror.  from there, it was gluing it all together and then mounting the mirror to it by cutting some pieces of left over beadboard.  this both holds the mirror to the frame as a backer and spaces it out from the wall to match where the beadboard is on the lower part.  long story short, here's what it looks like.

37324107135_f4482c3e0c_b.jpg

those little pieces by the outlet are just sitting there in the picture, but are now attached.  

next steps are to center punch the trim nails around the doors and then putty everything.  then its ready for paint.  so getting close.  

• Like 1

been doing other stuff, but have to get this thing done before our annual halloween party.  i painted all the trim yesterday.  it is going to need probably 3 coats so i wanted to get a good coat on it first before painting the beadboard.  that's next along with another coat of trim paint.  that and the ceiling white can be done at the same time.  

not much of a difference in the pics, but here they are nonetheless.

20171008_150931

20171008_150940

20171008_150952

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Number Tew said:

I am glad they painted everything a nice neutral color before I bought the house lol.  I don't love painting.

seriously...i don't hate it persay, but doing trim just plain ole sucks.  this took me 3 hours to do.  plan is to paint the beadboard tonight and maybe another coat of on the trim.  the first coat is always the worst, should go faster now that there is paint there to grab onto. 

got two coats on the beadboard and a second coat on the trim last night.  again, not the easiest thing to discern in the pictures, but there is nice fresh white semi-gloss on there now.

20171010_204442

20171010_204450

now for the blue on the walls and ceiling.  we decided last night to see what the blue on the ceiling will look like rather than just standard ceiling flat.  worst case, i just paint over it if we don't like it.  it's a light enough blue so it should work out.  it's the same blue used in the office ceiling if you want to go back and see it.

so the blue...looked purple.  the lights really made it look lavender.

without the lights, it wasn't too bad, but not what we had envisioned.  it didn't match the blue tile for shit.

so spent the rest of the day framing and hanging pictures.  the wife's Indy wall (dealt is there to keep it symmetrical for now until we find something better)

20171015_094850

20171015_094859

these will be going up in the library tonight

20171015_094910

and some Game of Thrones swag for by the pool table

20171015_094937

Sunday morning we went and got new paint to better match the tile.  its darker than we had in mind but it looks better in the end.

20171015_130415

and she kept getting in the way so finally she posed for a picture.  its a small room so both of working was sometimes problematic, but we got two coats on the walls.  she rolled, and i brushed the edges.

20171015_130433

threw the vanity back in there for now.  had to modify the bottom to go around the new trim.  i'm hooking it all back up tonight

20171015_191319

and against the tile.  its a little hard to get the lighting to cooperate with the camera, but it does really match well.

20171015_191337

20171015_191345

20171015_191353

i did hang the doors back up last night as well with new hardware, just didn't grab any pictures of that.  

only a few things yet to call it done done (until we find THE vanity)

• hook sink back up 
  • paint ceiling flat white
  • towel rack
  • towel hook for by the shower
  • floor transition piece
  • new blind for the smaller window
  • deep cleaning

all of which will be done by our annual halloween party

• Like 1

Dude that ended up coming out sick!

Is that a signed Ben Stiller???

Also, people don't realize just how long it takes to hang up pictures if you want to do it with any sort of accuracy and symmetry.  Can be a serious pain lol.  Great job!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Number Tew said:

Dude that ended up coming out sick!

Is that a signed Ben Stiller???

Also, people don't realize just how long it takes to hang up pictures if you want to do it with any sort of accuracy and symmetry.  Can be a serious pain lol.  Great job!

ben stiller??  you mean the fonz, henry winkler?  i know the picture got blurry for some reason.

Looking really good Ryan, very craftsman-style, which is hands down my preferred architectural style.

What kind of time frame are you thinking you'll have the old vanity in place? If it's going to be a while, you could always prep and paint it (minus the countertop of course), it would definitely let it blend right in. I actually think it would look kinda cool painted wall color. Normally I'd think white would be the way to go, but that might make the countertop look odd being completely surrounded in crisp white.

2 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Looking really good Ryan, very craftsman-style, which is hands down my preferred architectural style.

What kind of time frame are you thinking you'll have the old vanity in place? If it's going to be a while, you could always prep and paint it (minus the countertop of course), it would definitely let it blend right in. I actually think it would look kinda cool painted wall color. Normally I'd think white would be the way to go, but that might make the countertop look odd being completely surrounded in crisp white.

we debated on that, but i don't want to waste time on it.  i know what will happen if we do that....it will look okay enough and it will sit for a long time and we'll never get around to replacing it all the while hating it.  so if every time i walk into the bathroom i see this ugly POS, it motivates us to replace it.  

1 hour ago, Prokiller said:

we debated on that, but i don't want to waste time on it.  i know what will happen if we do that....it will look okay enough and it will sit for a long time and we'll never get around to replacing it all the while hating it.  so if every time i walk into the bathroom i see this ugly POS, it motivates us to replace it.  

I see the practicality in that then, lol. If you make it not bother you, it might never get replaced lol.

last few things went together this weekend.

got the ceiling painted:

20171021_173912

pictures don't really show not worth posting more than one, but its definitely cleaner in there now.  i swear we painted it when we got the house, but after throwing up a coat...i'm not so sure i did.  

then got the towel racks hung and cleaned it all up

20171021_173901

only things yet are little things that don't effect the function:

• window blind
  • floor transition piece.  looked for one, but can't find one to match and realized that i didn't leave enough between the new floor and the old floor to allow for the T piece.  so going to try and cut the old one to be flat

otherwise, i think we are going to officially close out the bathroom remodel.

• Like 2

huge update here.  we now have new heat and hot water!!!  

started with running new wires to the breaker panel on the otherside of the room for the new electric water heater.  cleaned up a few wires in there.  the new breaker went in on the left.  didn't think to grab a picture of the wiring at the end of the install.  

20171031_123317

started cutting up the stuff we didn't need and got them out of the way.  also pulled the boiler motor and got that out of the way.  the hose peaking out of the bottom is draining the system.  the circulator pump shown here is the sunroom one.  ended up using the new one that came with the new heater, but kept this one because it's still good.

20171101_111150

the indirect water heater tank did not want to drain for some reason.  had to pull it out full.  which sucked.  water is freakin heavy!!  the spicket knob on the bottom is all the way open and yet no water.  had to cut the pipe and shove a cap on it quick to get it out. 

20171101_111153

and gone from the house:

20171101_111213

supported the circ pumps and piping with straps and cut the water lines going into the boiler.   now we can get this pig of a boiler out...which was fun.  i thought the full water tank was heavy, boy was i wrong.

20171101_111227

and then the new one in it's place.  it's smaller in just about every way.  notice the broken drywall...yeah my ass went through it trying to work the old one out.  and you'll notice the floor is all scratched up from inching the old one and the new around.  nothing to care about, just exhibiting the weight of these damn things.

20171101_124525

test fitting the new 50 gal water heater.  SOOOOO glad it's not in my kitchen anymore!

20171101_124526

and now plumbing the new boiler water lines.  had to cross them because the old one was the other way around.  is what it is.  thankfully it was all just nipples of varying sizes, nothing had to be cut.

20171101_150147

this was the end of the day on wednesday after about 8 hours of working on it.

started fresh on thursday then with the water heater and blower install.  this was taken later in the day after we got it all more or less in place.  you'll also notice we started to wire up the circ pumps on the boiler.

20171102_170232

got the stove pipe installed and the new line running to the sunroom. and got the boiler fired up for the first time.  fired right up, didn't have to mess with bleeding the lines or tweaking it at all.  couldn't believe it.  

20171102_170238

chimney pipe (it's 6" vs 8") installed with some rocks to give a backer for some chimney mortar.  so much better now too because there is gap between the pipe and drywall unlike originally.  can't believe they basically had the old pipe using the drywall as support.  so dangerous.  we also found out that the pipe ended before getting fully into the chimney.  meaning, the pipe just ended when it got to the cinder block of the chimney.  so smoke could go into the holes in the block.  so stupid and dangerous.

20171102_200506

this ended pretty much the day for thursday.  Friday was just wiring the circ pumps and thermostat zones.  had to get a new relay because the way they had wired up was all kinds of wonky.  

now for the fun part...wiring this bitch.  turned out to be a nightmare.  spend pretty much all day trying to figure it out and then had to pick it up on saturday because we blew the fuse in the control box and the supply store wasn't open anymore.  basically the previous system predicated on the fact that boiler maintained temperature at all times (hot water coil remember), but the new system is only for heat now so we needed to wire it all to come on when any of the zones called for heat.  previously, all it did was turn on the circ pump when a zone called, then if the internal temp of the boiler dropped, it would kick on.  

the garage system was an utter puzzle that i still don't know how on earth it ran.  nothing made sense on it.  it was a 110v thermostat that went back to the circ pump somehow tied into the basement zone....for the life of us, i don't know how that thing wasn't running 24/7 or ever.  ended up running new thermostat wire, got a new thermostat and ran it as it's own zone like it should have been from the get go.  the heater has a fan on it so all we did was disconnect that from the system and tie it into a straight 110v feed and use the existing aquastat on it to control the fan.  so that's an independent system not tied to the boiler anymore.  

originally had the upstairs on the controller that comes with the boiler.  had to pull it off that module when we realized the way we had it all wired up, the garage would call for heat it was turning on all the zones because it was bridged into that main control trigger.  tried variations of the basement relay and wiring in the garage and such, which led to the blown fuse.  must have somehow backfed the panel.  

in the end, we used the existing basement relay and bridged that to the new 3-zone controller which then has all the other three zones (upstairs, sunroom, garage) on it.  from that controller it then goes to the boiler provided main controller as a single "zone".  so if any zone calls for heat, it triggers that circ pump and fires the boiler.  i'll take a finished picture of it tonight.  i thought i did but apparently not.

• Like 1