Prokiller

Full Moon Friday Garage w/ attached house

i thought about doing some of those designer plates but damn are those things expensive.  i could maybe justify a couple but then it doesn't look right with the rest of them.

• Moderators

Tell me about it.  I got copper plates for $10 each I think... but the actual receptacles are still white.  I finally find copper colored receptacles and they're $45 each... I need 10.

Here, these are the actual ones we have.

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2224744.htm

TM826USBW_NEW.jpg

i almost bought a couple of these exact ones last night.  I'm going to hold off and do that this winter.  I don't need them now.

@Yeahloh95 your walmart plan was going to be used but i have to see what they have.  i also have some bizarre types that don't seem to be common so that might throw a wrench into it.

organized the garage a little bit after working the flipper last night.  moved some scrap piping and such up to the attic so i could make a home for the bench grinder and torch set.

274D2A40-5E6C-491C-B77A-E04A69D82328_zps

in preparation of our halloween/birthday/anniversary/house-warming party next saturday, i had to finish up the kitchen and install some trim.  Previously all these areas had that rubber wall board stuff and it was a light brownish color.  quite fugly if you ask me.  I ripped that crap off when we did the wallpaper the first day.  Was waiting to finish the cabinets before doing this work because we weren't quite decided on exactly what we wanted to do.  So friday night we took a trip to Lowes and picked up the supplies.  Bought 2 8ft pieces of trim and 8 pieces of 4' grey wall board. I knew it was way overkill on the amount of wallboard but for how cheap it is (only $2/sheet) i wanted to make sure i had enough and could always return what we didn't use.

Saturday morning first was the wall.  Now notice the trim on the right and how it has 1/4 round on it.  This is because when they installed the pergo stuff they just threw it right down on top of the existing flooring but didn't take the trim off the wall.  And as you can also see, the linoleum is at the same height.  So i had to make up for that fact and cut a 1/2" off the trim.  Thankfully my father-in-law had just the other week given me his extra table saw(from his father-in-law when he died) so that got pulled out for this job.

A6B52495-D452-47E6-8E42-AF2D031E32EA_zps

tested fitted

and now nailed down

3D294F83-79BA-4C25-A3E9-278ADFA85F2F_zps

Then onto the bar area.  Technically you're supposed to cope the joints but i didn't have the tools or time to really do that.  Not to mention, this is really basic trim and probably won't stay that way forever.  Measured it out and just cut them at 45's.

8C06F778-C67E-4084-93AB-62DEC69BE873_zps

All three pieces if tightly so it was time to nail them down.  started with the wall piece

37088144-3671-45A4-AB24-6C379B21D5B4_zps

and well that ended up sucking in farther than during the test fit.  which caused this to happen.  hence why you cope the joints with trim....

EC9AACF8-4F60-400C-A694-13D6E0F12E12_zps

short of doing it all over again there isn't much to do about it.  Three things.  First off, you'll never see it unless you go to the back window and look towards the front.  Secondly, i'll fill in that gap with painters caulk or wood putty.  Thirdly, i don't have the time to redo it and have it ready for the shindig next weekend.

Last bit of wood trim was next to the fridge and the door to the sunroom.

C6903BA4-AE39-444C-A490-FFCCE23C3898_zps

Last part of the project for the day was scraping all the old glue off from the rest of the area where the new wallboard is going.  my lord what a mess...

757C71BB-DB4A-4389-B5E1-CE99A0C0FE97_zps

Sunday started with the rubber wallboard install.  and back by popular demand...Jasper!

C9167475-BD4C-499A-97D4-DB8E9755836C_zps

1A59E25D-7AD7-4209-8D8E-998FEEF76ABD_zps

441B64DC-5C07-4977-BF06-46C507EBD74F_zps

Spent the rest of the day running around and getting some Halloween stuff and decorating for the next week.  She is going to be painting the trim this week so that by Saturday we'll be ready to rock.

Thanks for the invite.

Just busting your balls, we have to go to a wedding anyway. ;)

Looking really nice, looks like Jasper has been cracking the whip and keeping you on task, lol.

i thought i asked you before about it?  

a garage update:

my dad brought down his old vise that is frozen up.  it's partially apart.  and already have a box of the new parts to go on it.

6AB9425E-768F-416F-816B-A012B6FAD6C1_zps

not sure if i want to stripe it down and paint it or not.

Is it that easy to find these old vices for cheap!?!? If so I'm going to have to start looking myself. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so much, at least not online. On eBay people pay an arm and a leg for Wiltons, especially a bullet machinist type vise. The best way to find one cheap is CraigsList. Yard sales, or my personal favorite which would be an estate sale is your best bet. Usually the person running the sale just sees a rusty old vise and doesn't think much of it.

Here are some good brands to consider:

Columbian

Reed

Wilton

Yost

Parker

Littlestown

Prentiss

Record

And obviously, the older the better applies to all of the above. If you come across a Wilton C1, C2, or C3 cheap...buy that mother fucker and choke out anyone who gets in your way. Those things are badass and generally command some massive prices, even used and in shitty condition.

Coming along Ryan. Little hint if your not coping your base make sure you cut your long points tight to the point were you actually have to bend the base in the middle to snap it in tight and you wont wind up short. Meaning add a heavy 1/16 to your long point measurement and make sure your blade is on the correct side of the line, otherwise your loosing an 1/8 due to blade thickness. A really sharp pencil is also key. Trim work boils down to seeing shit in 1/64ths

• Moderators

Coming along Ryan. Little hint if your not coping your base make sure you cut your long points tight to the point were you actually have to bend the base in the middle to snap it in tight and you wont wind up short. Meaning add a heavy 1/16 to your long point measurement and make sure your blade is on the correct side of the line, otherwise your loosing an 1/8 due to blade thickness. A really sharp pencil is also key. Trim work boils down to seeing shit in 1/64ths

Learned this trick about the time I was putting down the last 5 pieces.  It's in the bank for next time!

yeah i learned that the hard way.  will definitely keep this in mind for next time.  and the next time being crown molding sooner rather than later.

update for the garage though.  got these bad boys:

FB8D37B8-69A8-4D48-87A4-DF6B7CDFB8BF_zps

9CFD6B03-8CE7-43E7-BFBF-CC53BAB937C1_zps

been sitting in my parent's basements for longer than i've been alive.  from my dad's old garage he owned back in the day.  

Holy balls I'm jealous. I love the old parts cabinets like those. My dad had one in his garage on the wall since before I was born, and still does (although it's been moved to his new garage). I think that instilled in me a desire to have one someday. I'm pretty much out of wall space currently though lol. Seems that your dad has a lot of cool shit and is hooking you up left and right!

In case you're wondering to what extent you're getting hooked up, check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FILKO-IGNITION-PARTS-CABINET-WITH-VINTAGE-INVENTORY-LQQK-/371190896442?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item566cb3973a&vxp=mtr

Granted it includes some vintage parts inside but you get the idea.

whoa holy poop in a bucket!  I was not expecting that for a price of that cabinet combo.  as you can see I still have some old parts in it as well.  although not in as good a shape as that one.

• Moderators

I'd just hang those and go!  That's where Dan and I differ... I love the patina, he loves stepping back in time and doing it better than they could have imagined lol.  

they are actually a top and bottom cabinet so no need to hang anything.  not sure where i want to put them yet so i haven't cleaned them out or up.  as far as what to do with them, i'm also not sure.  i have nothing against patina but these aren't just patina'ed they are beat up a bit.  not the same thing in my opinion.  the scratches on the front just don't have a classic look to them, more the "oh shit it fell over in transport 15 years ago and got scrapped to hell now it's rusting there" feel.  i hadn't really thought about refinishing them until that asshole @95riosnake starting doing all his awesomeness and making us all look bad. 

speaking of which, you going to do a couple renderings for me dan for ideas?

they are actually a top and bottom cabinet so no need to hang anything.  not sure where i want to put them yet so i haven't cleaned them out or up.  as far as what to do with them, i'm also not sure.  i have nothing against patina but these aren't just patina'ed they are beat up a bit.  not the same thing in my opinion.  the scratches on the front just don't have a classic look to them, more the "oh shit it fell over in transport 15 years ago and got scrapped to hell now it's rusting there" feel.  i hadn't really thought about refinishing them until that asshole @95riosnake starting doing all his awesomeness and making us all look bad. 

speaking of which, you going to do a couple renderings for me dan for ideas?

Haha sorry to spread the sickness. If it were me, I'd trace all the graphics and send them to Tom to cut decals of them, then straighten and repaint the cabinets. Stick the decals on and boom,  it's 1985 again. :2thumb:

What kind of renderings?

Haha sorry to spread the sickness. If it were me, I'd trace all the graphics and send them to Tom to cut decals of them, then straighten and repaint the cabinets. Stick the decals on and boom,  it's 1985 again. :2thumb:

What kind of renderings?

that actually was my first thought.  but i'm not a fan of yellow so i thought about also changing the color scheme.  but if i was doing that then what's the point of keeping the logo since it won't be Filko anymore.  and nobody knows what that is either.  

that actually was my first thought.  but i'm not a fan of yellow so i thought about also changing the color scheme.  but if i was doing that then what's the point of keeping the logo since it won't be Filko anymore.  and nobody knows what that is either.  

IMO old defunct brand names are cool, who cares if most people don't know who the company is/was. It will look old school and that's what makes it cool, at least in my eyes. Change up the colors to your liking, I think it will look cool regardless. Tom can cut the decals any color you want. Or you can always change it all together but I would definitely suggest some kind of vintage logo because they're just fucking cool. Maybe pick out an old school oil/gas/parts logo that has colors you're shooting for and hit up tom for some decals.

got a few things accomplished this weekend.  got a generator and tested it out.  love this thing so far.  it actually tells you how much percentage of load you're using.  I had had the heater on, a bunch of lights, the TV/stereo/cable box, and well pump all going at the same time and it only hit 43%.  so yeah quite happy with the choice.  the other cool feature is it actually comes with a trickle charger for the electric start battery so it will always stay charged.  8 gal tank that supposedly will run for 10-12 hours.

05005CC1-4315-4742-B4BF-6EBD9EA07D44_zps

4D00EFF3-833A-4A24-B719-25774517CCEF_zps

got that all hooked up and ready to roll on sunday and then also got the shed cleaned up.

8AAABCE0-15B9-4004-82C2-51B3B80DE195_zps

443C0560-F770-472F-B340-500F1AC970B0_zps

now back to the inside of the house.  we got a new refrigerator for the kitchen.  It's significantly larger than the one that is there.  also it's larger than the cabinet we currently have for it.  so i'll need to do some woodworking to get it fit.

84E0824C-895D-4A90-ACBA-844A09D22407_zps

that's the specs of it.  the current opening is 33.25" x 66".  So i'll need to cut vertically 3" and take the wall out completely for it to fit.  looking at buying a jigsaw right now for the job...