Prokiller

Full Moon Friday Garage w/ attached house

I successfully jinxed everyone in my area weather wise.  I checked the forecast on Tuesday evening and saw nothing snow wise at all for weeks so I washed my DD STi for the first time in probably 2 months.  Yeah, it snowed 4 inches last night.

That's pretty funny about your heater, btw.  I have that same kind of thing happen with myself and my Dad pretty frequently.  I swear to God he has a magic touch...

Any new happenings at FMF Headquarters Ryan?

not just yet.  will be soon though.  buying a bunch of high-hats for the living room and wiring them in then putting a ton of blown-in insulation in the attic.  i realized a while back that beyond the air conditioner that there is zero insulation above the bedrooms....and the whole house could use more to begin with.  that's the big project this year.  that and a new kitchen floor once we decide on one

i haven't been updating this much for two reasons.  haven't really done anything significant to the house or garage other than live in it.  the original plan was to have the hi-hats installed in the spring as soon as the blistering cold broke and then follow it right up with insulating the attic before the heat set in.  yeah that didn't happen.  had to focus on the yard work and the mustang if it was going to make it to carlisle.

had to weed the hell out of the flowerbeds and mulch it all.  got 6 yards of black mulch delivered and by god does that take time to spread.  shouldn't be so bad next year, just that the all the beds were just so overgrown that i couldn't just throw it down and walk away. so that took a couple weeks of working on it a bunch of nights a week between the mustang's gauge cluster and seat project.

by the time that was wrapped up and i could start back on the lights, i got about a day working up in the attic before it got too damn hot to be up there for more than 10 minutes at a shot.  granted we've had a somewhat mild summer this year, it just got to the point where i didn't feel like working on it.  Biggest problem was that i wanted to put 5 lights in evenly spaced across a space of 128".  which would then put one light in the middle of a rafter.  no matter how i spaced them out, one of them was always in the middle of a rafter.  so i got frustrated and just walked away for a while.

finally got back into it this week because i need to get off my ass and finish this up if i want to spray down insulation fall time before the cold sets in.  i ended up adding a 6th light into the mix in front of the bookcases and using the center points of the rafters for the locations.  i got the holes cut last night for all of them but still have to buy the 6th one.  before i mount them i have to fix a couple mess ups in the drywall and paint before i fully mount them.  hopefully going to start that this weekend.  i still have to measure for the two others that are going to be centered above the wing windows beside the big one.  then last but not least, i'll be doing one above the shower in the bathroom.

Along those same lines of attic work before laying down insulation is i'm building a daybed swing for in the sun room.  kinda like this.  got some of the lumber i need for it on sunday.

diy-porch-1.jpg

going to be in the sunroom on the backside.  the hurdle will be that i want to make the back of it removable.  i want to be able to put it on so that you can chill looking outside or take it off and put it on the other side and use it when people are over.  the base at least has to be built so i can hang it because i want to reinforce the rafters before i insulate.  

another project that has to get done sooner rather than later is rebuilding the garage attic's exterior door.  the bottom of it is just rotted away and water/debris is getting in there.  i got some T1-11 on sunday to rebuild it.  shouldn't take me too long to knock this out.  just have to buy and apply some exterior white paint before i can hang it.  

and finally i have to redo the roof of the shed.  the back side's shingles are decaying to nothing at this point and it's leaking a bit now.  hopefully do that in a weekend in september/october.  

EDIT: almost forgot i do have a picture of a new garage addition i scored from work.

55D75DC7-76F4-435B-A8CC-1E06A469BBF1_zps

thing is 7ft tall and 4ft wide.  should work great for storage and work space.

and this is my redneck mustang couch that i'm going to do sometime this winter.  seats are just sitting on it for now.

3FA3AC26-FB2C-4D9D-BFDD-1A93401C93D5_zps

Nothing like free shit from work! I like the swinging day bed for the sunroom too. If you could score a matching seat cover for the middle of the redneck couch, that thing could look pretty damn classy honestly, lol.

I can't wait to start a new thread and document the new house. I filled you in on the drama so far but it actually reached worse case scenario status now. We are going to end up homeless for two weeks now, and have to get a massive storage unit then stay with Andrea's parents for 2 weeks. Hotels are going to be too expensive, especially with a 100lb dog. So my morning commute will be an hour (leave at 5am), and my return commute will be 2+.

F   M   L

Nothing like free shit from work! I like the swinging day bed for the sunroom too. If you could score a matching seat cover for the middle of the redneck couch, that thing could look pretty damn classy honestly, lol.

I can't wait to start a new thread and document the new house. I filled you in on the drama so far but it actually reached worse case scenario status now. We are going to end up homeless for two weeks now, and have to get a massive storage unit then stay with Andrea's parents for 2 weeks. Hotels are going to be too expensive, especially with a 100lb dog. So my morning commute will be an hour (leave at 5am), and my return commute will be 2+.

F   M   L

god dang i wanna punch the seller of your new house in the face!!! can't believe what an inconvenient asshole this guy is being!!  give you much respect for keeping your cool 

deck/porch area thingy looks great btw @prokiller 

EDIT: almost forgot i do have a picture of a new garage addition i scored from work.

55D75DC7-76F4-435B-A8CC-1E06A469BBF1_zps

thing is 7ft tall and 4ft wide.  should work great for storage and work space.

Looks like some kind of network equipment stand or imaging station?  I must know what it was! lol

Wait........what's goin on?!?!

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

I don't want to derail Ryan's thread too much but here's the "short" version:

We are selling our current townhouse and buying a new house, since we're not rich we have to close our old house and new house at the same time (same day). So we had the closings scheduled for Sept. 4th, then the appraisal for the new house came in $15k under the sale price. The seller then said he would only lower $15k if we pushed the closing two weeks later. We responded with a laundry list of reasons why that wasn't possible but in the end he basically said, take it or leave it. So our choice was to have nowhere to live for two weeks come sept. 4, or have nowhere to live indefinitely. So we are pretty much fucked, and this guy has literally no reason to ask for this extension. He simply is lazy and wants more time to move out. I've been maxed out on stress and anger for the past 3 weeks, I would never recommend buying and selling at the same time to anyone, ever.

Looks like some kind of network equipment stand or imaging station?  I must know what it was! lol

we used them back in the day as workstations and multiple monitors on each shelf.  back when we had more tools and such that had to be watched at all times.

here's the lights on the small wall that were my first test location.  i have to fix up problems with them.  have to break out the spackle.

C05C01E1-CBEA-4798-921F-5CE687222B65_zps

i threw one light in the long wall area and just put tape up over the rest for the moment.  i have to get up in the attic to pull the insulation out around it but its been too hot to dick around up there.  also, once the spackling is done on the first two i want to paint the area again anyway so there was no sense in putting the lights up to just take them back down.

DABCD964-E15C-4E6F-B8CC-D00954FDFCC9_zps

but you get the idea of where i'm going with this.

and the new shelf in the garage.  i think tonight i'm going to try and get it positioned

2A3DCD57-95EA-4EC9-BB9C-67A87FE2F846_zps

spent a couple hours in the garage last night cleaning up and getting my new shelf/desk in place.  i think this is the cleanest the garage has been since before we bought the house.

90BB2A77-FC51-44B3-81A6-36569C843525_zps

she really wants to put stairs in but i just don't think i want to sacrifice the space.  i'd be fine with a set of pull down stairs, but i don't think i want to do build a permanent set.  i just don't see me using the upstairs enough to make it worth it.

yeah I think pull down ones would work

that is what i'm contemplating but not sure i can do that without moving the heater.  and at the height of the garage, the pulldowns are basically just a ladder anyway. 

so saturday i had to make a new attic door because the ones up there were rotting to nothing.  the base of the doors was basically gone.  it's been needing to be done since we bought the house but it was just low on the priority list.  well i went up there the other week and realized it looks like the plywood flooring was getting water damaged so yeah, the door got moved up the priority list.  not to mention the massive amount of dirt and debris that had built up from the hole.  i was really fearful that birds would start getting in there and building nests and shitting everywhere.

anyway.  the previous doors looked like barn doors which i hated.  so i decided on some T1-11 (get it T1, HA!) paneling for the exterior.  something not as plain as regular plywood but nothing too fancy that would require me to maintain more.

originally it was two doors, but i didn't want that.  i just wanted one piece to make it simple and minimize water damage by adding other pieces and joints.  so first thing first was to cut the wood.  flipped it upside down and built out a basic 2x2 frame.

31C77D05-AF48-4440-8C9F-EFE047306FF1_zps

the door is 52x48".  i ended up deciding to just use the slightly short pieces off the 8' long 2x2s to just use as the frame horizontals.  it left a couple inches on the latch side.  makes closing it and latching it easier.

then the fun part of mortising the hinge areas.  

84FF6BE9-07F3-4F5D-95CF-F49B2B911C8C_zps

i don't have a router so a tiny chisel was what worked.  not the smoothest thing i've ever built but meh, not like you'll ever see under the hinge plates.

9BA196F2-5C90-400C-AE11-34894BC79C8E_zps

and the dog's moral support

660902E8-71A9-4FEA-9E33-AEF8496A4737_zps

hinges installed and i had this piece of thick nylon rope left laying around from years ago that i finally found a use for.  since the door is 4ft wide, it would be hard to reach out to then to swing it closed.  so two eye hooks crimped closed around the rope work great to give you something to grab onto and not have to lean outside 12ft above the ground.

31D99E02-BEE5-4645-BDE3-6E78D6FA5411_zps

and now to paint.  two nice and thick coats of exterior satin white.  since the T1-11 is rough wood, i just brushed it on.  didn't feel like busting out all the roller stuff and buying a nappy roller.  took a little bit longer but i was able to make sure that i got in every little area nice and good.

238DD3AB-5CB9-43CC-9C28-BE43D0628D82_zps

and then after about 5 minutes of my wife struggling to get the willpower to get up the ladder so she could screw in the hinges to the frame while i held the door, it was installed.  i had ended up having to remove the trim from the inside frame to get it to close.  the placement of the hinges were a whisker to far back and it was hitting.  as it was about 120 degrees in that attic at the time, i just rip that trim off and closed it up.  i'll put it back on some morning when it's not so damn hot up there.

EC89AFB8-1441-4120-B6F7-3773AA6AE989_zps

overall i'm happy with the outcome.  doesn't look like a barn anymore and more like a garage.  only thing that after having it installed did it occur to me that the "lines" go vertically against the horizontal siding.  looks a little weird at first but you don't really notice it.  thing is, i wouldn't have put it horizontally anyway because water could then lay in the lines of the T1-11 which would just make it rot faster.  

couple weekends in the making here but we finished it up yesterday.  

the ceiling holes:

DC55EA09-5325-4E3E-B997-6E278D197DC6_zps

spackling up the first two that got a little messed up.

72D313C0-0A57-4623-BE9A-475A38E7996C_zps

all spackled up and painted

BE185F67-BB25-4F0C-B3AD-C9F01359B269_zps

lights mounted

491DC93B-E859-4A11-95CB-054C335B0BF7_zps

93450A67-0B2C-4F78-AF73-2DED8FCB18A9_zps

and now wired

3270291C-D474-4E92-AB2D-35468410E4D3_zps

before with the lamp that was on the outlet controlled switch

00BFE4BE-0697-4A89-8FDD-2E3B556F11FB_zps

after

69D57761-2B11-47DF-A86B-F3FBA115B813_zps

083E7F2E-CF08-4CAF-A704-B6CCB0109257_zps

don't mind the couch, we took off the coverings to wash them

6E0CB298-FAEC-46FF-9E2F-3B9F5E6B7ED2_zps

all and all it was a dusty mess cutting the holes but otherwise it wasn't too bad.  the wife spent the day cleaning everything up while i was wiring and doing the bathroom light.  last piece of the install is to spackle around the switch box i installed.  i forgot to get a picture of it but i had to cut out a little more than i wanted to because getting the old single box out was a huge PITA.  ended up breaking the welds off the bracket and leaving that mounted to get the box out.  thought about just getting an oversized switch plate but that will just make me lazy and not want to finish the job properly.  just not looking forward to making a mess again and trying to feather in the paint.

i also put one in the shower that i was going to put on it's own switch but then decided it was too difficult to fish the wires down the wall with the tile still in place.  i'm going to separate them when we re-do the bathroom hopefully next year.

The lighting turned out good! Throws off some serious light I'm sure.

Curious, what kind of dog do you have? That's not a Sheltie is it?

American Eskimo actually.  bout 20 pounds of white fluff.

American Eskimo actually.  bout 20 pounds of white fluff.

I was curious because I have an all white Sheltie and he looks just like your Eskimo. Your Eskimo might have a little more "fluff" to it but very close regardless. I've never seen another all white Sheltie  and you almost just blew my mind haha.

Back on topic, I'm digging the green in that room.

I was curious because I have an all white Sheltie and he looks just like your Eskimo. Your Eskimo might have a little more "fluff" to it but very close regardless. I've never seen another all white Sheltie  and you almost just blew my mind haha.

Back on topic, I'm digging the green in that room.

you're not far away man, bring em down for a play date.  i'm right down past pottstown off of 724.  I actually went to high school at brandywine heights and spent many a night drinking at shortys and the pub.  where abouts in k-town you at?

you're not far away man, bring em down for a play date.  i'm right down past pottstown off of 724.  I actually went to high school at brandywine heights and spent many a night drinking at shortys and the pub.  where abouts in k-town you at?

I'm right by the elementary school and fire company. I think everyone who knows Kutztown has been to Shortys haha. Yeah you aren't far at all. And thanks for the invite, I'll have to meet up with you one of these days

I'm right by the elementary school and fire company. I think everyone who knows Kutztown has been to Shortys haha. Yeah you aren't far at all. And thanks for the invite, I'll have to meet up with you one of these days

nice. i know the area well.  i worked at weaver's for 5 years back in high school/college.

frame built for the daybed swing:

56BFFF7E-4D26-4FDF-B476-87439F62CA64_zps

the slate pieces are from Ikea and so is the mattress.  the slate piece is actually a full frame that i supported from the bottom on ends and then screwed into the frame in a lot of places.  it isn't going anywhere.

got the hardware to hang it other day.  eye bolts are 2200lbs load rating so they will hold.  the shackles are like 1700lbs i think.  and the rope is almost 800lbs rated so it should all hold nicely.  there will 4 ropes, one from each corner.  this is how i'm attaching them:

91CE78D5-37A9-490C-8A76-220C2E5BF7C2_zps

and this is the top part hooking to the ceiling anchors.  using the shackles only on the top as i didn't think it necessary to use on both ends.

410E59CC-4D54-4296-9B11-2523FDACB432_zps

i hung thing thing last weekend but never posted the pictures.  I had originally thought the sun room was built with 2x6 rafters on 24" centers but i was wrong.  ended up being 2x4s on 24" centers.  and i say 24" centers loosely because they aren't even.  anyway, it worked out that the one bolt hole actually went through the rafter so it was okay.  i further braced the studs between three rafters and then capped over it with another.  so i really don't think this is going anywhere.  it's held the weight of 3 adults so far so i think we're good.  

the attic rafter setup:

73107D01-B305-4C62-A578-9B26A63C17CE_zps

i drilled though all that and used 8" eye bolts like these below.  things have a 2200lbs load rating so yeah it should hold fine.

BESN-Eye%20Bolt-Shoulder-Nut.jpg

and the dog enjoying his new favorite spot:

F0EC7C24-AB29-4342-B745-CF9FB683E9D4_zps

in the end, the side i'm taking the picture from hangs a little bit lower than the others but i'm not too worried about it.  i can always undo one of the bindings and bring it up to be level.  but otherwise, i'm quite proud of myself for actually getting it this close the first attempt.  next up is to build some sides for it.  still haven't fully decided on how i want it to look so that's why i haven't gotten anywhere with it yet.  but either way, it's probably going to wait until i get other projects done first.  like insulating the attic and replacing the roof on the shed.