ttocs

finally installed my VIS carbon fiber y2k cobra R hood

been busy getting everything under the hood finished in the mock up stage so I can pull the motor to finish smoothing out the engine bay. Spent the last 3 weeks waiting for hose ends really... But before I pull all that out I wanted to make sure that there was enough space for the bigger alt under the hood and just general fitment.

The good - The weave pattern on the CF looks perfect and the general look of the finished bottom really gives the look of a well made product. It lined up almost perfectly centered and didn't need much adjustment at all.

The bad - The mounting holes for the studs to go through the hinge holes are just a tad small and it makes for a little harder installation then it needs to be. The only real complaint on fitment was that it stops about an 1/8" short of the fenders end but I am willing to bet I can enlarge the holes on the hinge to make install a little easer(just slightly) and then lengthen them just a tad to allow for it to be slid down. Its nice and tight on the top by the cowl so it will not be a problem there.

overall - I can say I am really happy with the general look and fitment. Modifying the holes will not be a big deal to effect how tight/well it holds onto the hood and will make install a little easier as well.

For anyone wanting to know I went through ebay with the company qualityaero and was really happy with their service. They got it shipped out as promised with a tracking number and the freight shipper called the day before to arrange a time to drop it off and the driver called me 30 mins before he got there. He also helped me get it out and open the box for inspection prior to signing for it and taking off.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics. My garage sucks for afternoon pics so I will get some when the sun is down a little further

7433531404421372-8135fef99c.jpg

Really really happy with the general flow with bumper I modified.

9978491404421347-20d0558260.jpg

I am going to paint the edges green, and probably knock down the raw CF section just a tad with some black candy paint and then follow that  candy to the center portion of the roof.

hood project was put on hold when I friend that's helping me pull the motor said he has time tomorrow morning to pull the motor in the morning.  It will make it a little easier to line up the aerocatch latches with the motor out of it.  I have not been able to find many pics of the flush ones online so I will update this when that is done.

this is the hood I would like to have for my car someday.  Are the vents functional?  If not could you make them functional with a dremel tool? 

no they are not functional.  I am sure you could cut through it to make a slit but your a bit braver then me.  There is a top and a bottom layer and not sure how close they are at that point.  I considered just cutting through the bottom layer to  allow standard gt vent holes be able to draw air from those slits but there is already a couple large holes at the back support area for it to breath through.

Now I do recommend getting the aerocatch hood latches for this if you are considering some kind of additional latching system.  The flush mount version fit perfectly between the top and bottom of the hood.

thb_6022581406830498-4db833e4c1.jpg

I show how to cut a perfect hole for them on this page:

https://driiive.com/ttocs/1994FordMustangGT/#!/timeline/2989

So not even the ridges on the very top of the hood are functional?  I love the look of this hood a little more than just a cowl "style".  I asked VIS they said they are functional but ive never seen any pictures of this to be true...if a hood is 800 plus dollars I want it work.

The one time I saw a 2000 R it never occurred to me to check.  I was so starstruck I am pretty sure I just walked around it with my mouth open leaving a trail of drool behind me.

Same here, we had one surface at a local show a few years back (I still see it on the driving around here and there, always at a distance and I can't catch up to it, it's like a damn unicorn lol) and I was completely in love with it. Not everybody loves them because of the wing and splitter, etc. but personally it's my favorite mustang of all time. I'd love to own one someday, but I have a feeling I'd make a LOT of enemies because I don't think I can leave anything stock for long.

Its not really my fav looking car by any means but I accept that it was function over form.  This crappy little town I live in has some cool cars but it seems like every week at the shows its the same cars.  One day that red beauty showed up and DAYUM!!!!  I can dig it...