f04682

Now or later

Hey guys, im looking for some advice.   I have a freshly built 347 thats putting down mid 350hp plus I have a 150 shot of nitrous.   With spray she is doing 507 to the wheels.  Im still rolling the stock T-5, my question is I have a used tremec 3550 for $1000 on the hook.  Should I replace the tranny now or because the car NA is only 350hp is this a upgrade that can wait.  Thanks for the input.

it's never a bad thing to upgrade before something breaks, but i would also agree with Zach, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  i haven't looked at t3550 prices in a long time, but if it's a good deal, i would pick it up. 

You know when it breaks your not going to find anything close for that price.  It doesn't have to go on the car this week if you buy it.  I would get it and wait till the time is right myself.  I do this all the time hell I had my side exhaust kit for almost 2 yrs before I could put it on.

If you wait until your T5 breaks, then your T5 is worthless.  There are parts in there to be sold, if not the whole transmission.  I would swap it now.  I have a similiar setup, very similiar.  I can assure you the 3550 will not last forever either.  Once you buy it, do a 26 spline input shaft upgrade.  It's cheap to do, and only takes a few minutes.  I did not do the upgrade immediately and it cost me a tow truck ride back after doing some racing in Mexico.  Also cost me another clutch disk when there was nothing wrong with the one that came out.

Kurt

Thanks revhead for the heads up.  I went ahead and purchased it this weekend, I was gonna store until I got some good information on what upgrades to make and also who to send it to so can I can have it upgraded 

Thanks revhead for the heads up.  I went ahead and purchased it this weekend, I was gonna store until I got some good information on what upgrades to make and also who to send it to so can I can have it upgraded 

hi @f04682,

your wheels....please gimme some info on those!! some pics of your car too man. 

Hey Tony, the wheels are a set of Work Schwert SC2 

awesome man thanks!! i know you prolly get shit over them but there are a few of us out there that LOVE that style ans size wheel. trying to picture them on my silver sn after air ride  :wub:

It goes in the paint shop next month, so I have been rolling the fenders and setting the coilovers the way "I" them ... Yeah I know that a lot of guys in the SN95 world dont like that style but I have had this girl for 20 years this coming December and I have seen A LOT of guys run the same set up.  So I wanna go a little different.  But lets face it, with a car that is 20 years old, you can never be completely different.  

Sounds like you have the trans figured out. It will be nice to have the 3550 when the time comes.

Looking forward to the paint as well. It sounds pretty similar to @Alex302 car. It came out excellent looking.

http://www.sn95source.com/index.php?/topic/4446-finally-got-the-stang-painted--(pic-heavy)

I'm still so jealous that you are the original owner of your car. I think that's so cool.

Wow @SublimeRT, I checked out that link and its very close to what im looking for !!!  Nice looking out bro, I will definitely show that color to the shop next week.  BTW I would like to think that im the original owner, but the truth is i bought the car from someone that only had it for about 6 months.  At the time I was wanting a "drop top" but the deal on this one was too good to pass up.  The rest is history.

Six months is close enough, I'd say.  We'll let it slide.  My poor car wandered around for about 13 years before she came home, lol.  She's mine from now on though that's for sure.