SublimeRT

94 Cobra #3815

4 hours ago, GTTRacing91PGT said:

Looks awesome man. Your shaved bay is one of the things that drew me to this site in the first place, so I'm happy to see you're still at it with this car.

Thanks!  That's cool to hear.  Yeah, I'm definitely not setting any speed records with this project, haha, but I haven't given up on the ole girl.  

Looks fantastic!

for the accent line, i think it would flow well with the wider front fenders if it tapered out ti be non existent as it goes forward. 

Oh, and when you get these done, you should let me pop a mold off then for some composite ones :)

6 hours ago, ThomasW said:

Looks fantastic!

for the accent line, i think it would flow well with the wider front fenders if it tapered out ti be non existent as it goes forward. 

Oh, and when you get these done, you should let me pop a mold off then for some composite ones :)

Thanks!  At what point are you thinking to have the accent line fade out?  The stock line fades some, though it does go nearly all the way to the lights.  

I've thought about making more sets after these, or seeing about having composite ones made, but we'll see.  I have to figure out how to taper the fender back into the door and make it flow right.  I might end up modifying the door in the process.  Maybe just have this set on my car for the complete widebody and then make a separate set that would fit otherwise stock cars, allowing wider tires up front.  Kind of like the Griggs vert.  

3 hours ago, SublimeRT said:

Thanks!  At what point are you thinking to have the accent line fade out?  The stock line fades some, though it does go nearly all the way to the lights.  

I've thought about making more sets after these, or seeing about having composite ones made, but we'll see.  I have to figure out how to taper the fender back into the door and make it flow right.  I might end up modifying the door in the process.  Maybe just have this set on my car for the complete widebody and then make a separate set that would fit otherwise stock cars, allowing wider tires up front.  Kind of like the Griggs vert.  

Probly somewhere around the rear edge of the wheel opening.  

5 hours ago, ThomasW said:

Probly somewhere around the rear edge of the wheel opening.  

Hmm I kinda like the sounds of this.  Just kinda have the accent line fade away as the big part of the fender/flare gets started.  This gives me some ideas.  Thanks for the input! :drink_to_that:

The Griggs Cobra is pretty much without the accent line.  It looks really good to me too.  I don't look at it and really think anything is missing. 

98Cobra_JGriggs

You know I've actually wondered if the accent line would throw off the eye and make things look distorted from certain angles with the increased curvature of the fender.  I saw an old Challenger with flared fenders that was like that.  You know if you were to get down and sight down the side of the car, the line was straight, but you stand up and step back and look at it from a front 3/4 view and it just didn't look right.  

3 hours ago, Lanter said:

That looks so good already.  It's going to look insane when it's finished.

Thanks man!  :drink_to_that:

8 hours ago, SublimeRT said:

Hmm I kinda like the sounds of this.  Just kinda have the accent line fade away as the big part of the fender/flare gets started.  This gives me some ideas.  Thanks for the input! :drink_to_that:

The Griggs Cobra is pretty much without the accent line.  It looks really good to me too.  I don't look at it and really think anything is missing. 

98Cobra_JGriggs

You know I've actually wondered if the accent line would throw off the eye and make things look distorted from certain angles with the increased curvature of the fender.  I saw an old Challenger with flared fenders that was like that.  You know if you were to get down and sight down the side of the car, the line was straight, but you stand up and step back and look at it from a front 3/4 view and it just didn't look right.  

Thanks man!  :drink_to_that:

The griggs cobra does look really nice, your thinking is exactly what i was thinking. :)

• Like 1

Wow dude, the metal work is looking fantastic! If that's a sign of things to come, this car will make some serious waves in the mustang world. I know you have plenty on your plate already, but I will say that any sort of wide body/flared products for sn95's look like complete trash. Your fenders are shaping up to be what I always wanted my car to have going on (cue people talking shit about me not working on my car :rolleyes:). You could definitely sell a bunch of wide body front fenders and rear quarters. I suppose it would get a little tricky as far as what to do about bumper covers, taillight placement, inner fender liners, etc. but nothing too crazy.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/15/2017 at 3:16 AM, SublimeRT said:

Kind of like the Griggs vert.  

I actually called and talked to Griggs about that because I wanted to get 305-315 tires up front.  The fenders on that car are still "stock," but pulled and rolled to the max.  I was told to call back if/when I ever get to the point of that and they would help more in how to do it.  However, I am not anywhere near that point... and I also don't know if using their SLA setup has anything to do with fitting wider wheels/tires up front.  The whole wheel/tire part of the build is like a chicken and egg type deal - I can't pull the fenders/quarters until I know what size wheels I'm getting; but, can't buy wheels until I figure out what will fit.

That said, if you're reproducing these at any point, I want a set.  I will probably still be staring at a dust collection when you do reproduce them anyway!

6 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Wow dude, the metal work is looking fantastic! If that's a sign of things to come, this car will make some serious waves in the mustang world. I know you have plenty on your plate already, but I will say that any sort of wide body/flared products for sn95's look like complete trash. Your fenders are shaping up to be what I always wanted my car to have going on (cue people talking shit about me not working on my car :rolleyes:). You could definitely sell a bunch of wide body front fenders and rear quarters. I suppose it would get a little tricky as far as what to do about bumper covers, taillight placement, inner fender liners, etc. but nothing too crazy.

Thanks man!   I suppose if I were to sell fenders and quarters I would have to make them tie-in more to stock mounting locations like the door jams, taillights, meet up with the stock door edges, etc.  Even if the panels were nice pieces, I don't think many people will want to modify this and that to get it all to work.  Offering wider wheel tubs for the rear to accommodate the wider quarter wouldn't be too big a deal.  So this is all something I'll need to consider.  Maybe modify my plans with my car just in the name of R&D to make some more aftermarket friendly parts I guess you could say.  Oh and the haters about not working on the car can go suck an egg.  Life happens!

4 hours ago, Psychorugby said:

I actually called and talked to Griggs about that because I wanted to get 305-315 tires up front.  The fenders on that car are still "stock," but pulled and rolled to the max.  I was told to call back if/when I ever get to the point of that and they would help more in how to do it.  However, I am not anywhere near that point... and I also don't know if using their SLA setup has anything to do with fitting wider wheels/tires up front.  The whole wheel/tire part of the build is like a chicken and egg type deal - I can't pull the fenders/quarters until I know what size wheels I'm getting; but, can't buy wheels until I figure out what will fit.

That said, if you're reproducing these at any point, I want a set.  I will probably still be staring at a dust collection when you do reproduce them anyway!

That's interesting about the Griggs fenders.  I wonder if they documented the process at all.  Would be neat to see them stretching the original metal like that.  Perhaps that's why the accent line is gone.  If they pulled the fender out, the lip would also move up.  You can think of the accent line like a fold in a piece of cloth; flatten it out, the piece gets longer.  Are you currently at the point where figuring out the wheel/tire size is the next step in your project?  If so, I think I can help you out there.  I will definitely keep you in mind with the fenders as well.  

The positive feedback from everyone is very appreciated, motivating, and reassuring.  :drink_to_that: It's especially nice to see interest in reproducing the fenders.  

I definitely wouldn't hold back on your build, I'd go ahead and do anything and everything you planned. Then maybe once you finish and have the bucks still available to work from, grab yourself a junkyard V6 shell for a few hundred bucks and make the fenders and quarters to fit its stock components and mounting points. Honestly even if it was as hardcore of an install for the rear as cutting out a big portion of the existing quarter, I think that's somewhat reasonable. It would be hard to make the quarters install any other way short of doing an over fender/rivet kind of thing, but IMO I would never be ok with the over fender look unless its on a dedicated race car.

42 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

I definitely wouldn't hold back on your build, I'd go ahead and do anything and everything you planned. Then maybe once you finish and have the bucks still available to work from, grab yourself a junkyard V6 shell for a few hundred bucks and make the fenders and quarters to fit its stock components and mounting points. Honestly even if it was as hardcore of an install for the rear as cutting out a big portion of the existing quarter, I think that's somewhat reasonable. It would be hard to make the quarters install any other way short of doing an over fender/rivet kind of thing, but IMO I would never be ok with the over fender look unless its on a dedicated race car.

You've made some good points.  I have seen whole V6 SN95s on Craigslist for $500-1000.  Heck, I saw the bidding on ebay for a complete and fairly decent looking black 95 Cobra get to about $1500.  Had a crank/no start condition but geez.  

20 minutes ago, Evilcw311 said:

@95riosnake wait.........

...............you actuall still own a mustang??

it had been so long since you posted about it.......... wait, who the fawk am I kidding, I’ve barely touched mine in 3 years!!! 😂 

blaise the fender is looking insane!!!!  

Thanks man! :drink_to_that:  I can't wait to see the driver's side on it too.  Get the full effect of the wideness.  

Hell yeah man!! The typical universal JDM or Maier fender flares look like doo doo on our cars. I'd love to have a custom set like those that still has a degree of the factory style.

• Like 1

Ugh this thread gets me everytime!  Love love love it all!  I always leave viewing this thread until a couple updates so I can sit down and read everything!  Awesome work Blaise as always!! 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 4:22 PM, Steve-Oh said:

Ugh this thread gets me everytime!  Love love love it all!  I always leave viewing this thread until a couple updates so I can sit down and read everything!  Awesome work Blaise as always!! 

I know, I know, I get carried away blabbing about stuff, lol.  Every time I go to post an update, I tell myself, just shutup and let the pictures do the talking.  But you know, I just like to be thorough, lol.  Thanks for the love, man!  :drink_to_that: 

• Like 1