itsblown93

8.8 Rear end help

So i thought my axels were bent do to people telling me that wheels were wobbling as I am driving. So last night I changed out my axels and they are still wobbling. Does anyone have an idea what it could be? It's a 2004 mustang gt.

if its not the axle shafts i'd say its the wheel. 

have someone spin the wheel on one side while you look at the hub or rotor. thats how i knew mine was bent. 

It's gotta be something with the diff or housing. Probably would be worth it to buy some more fluid so you can pop the cover and investigate

Hmmm, been thinking about this for a bit and I'm still stumped but I will throw out some ideas. First of all, have you verified that the wheels are wobbling or just going by what someone thought they saw? Condition of the axle bearings? Something between the rotor hat and axle face not allowing it to fully seat? Condition/thickness of the rotor hat itself? Condition of the lug studs? Stretched or worn to where the wheel doesn't tighten down fully/evenly? Spider gears in the diff chewed up and allowing the splines of the axle to have play in them? Condition of the pin in the diff? Allowing excess play in and out with the axles? Condition of the c-clips themselves? Like has been said also, condition of the main caps and fasteners?

Did you/do you ever feel a pulsation in the brake pedal? Seems like if an axle was bent or something with the rotor or rotor to axle mounting that the wobble would push the brake pads back and you'd feel it in the pedal.

Some of this stuff might sound "duh" or elementary but when chasing a problem like that sometimes it really helps to take a step back and analyze things and really go over them with a fine tooth comb. You might even have to whip out the dial indicator and start measuring run out and play in things. This is all assuming that the wheels and tires have been verified to not be the problem and also that an axle tube is not tweaked/twisted.

all of the above from @SublimeRT   I went through the same thing recently and it was rust build up on the face of the axle shaft, could be rust build up on the inside of your rotor hat as well.  just some things to check out!

so weird that its on both wheels.  do you have hubcentric rings on the wheels?   pull the wheels and check to see if the rotors run true. you'll have to use the lug nuts and run em up to the rotor and tighten em down a little. if they wobble, then pull those and visually inspect the axle faces and the rotors. 

so weird that its on both wheels.  do you have hubcentric rings on the wheels?   pull the wheels and check to see if the rotors run true. you'll have to use the lug nuts and run em up to the rotor and tighten em down a little. if they wobble, then pull those and visually inspect the axle faces and the rotors. 

I was going to ask if there were any spacers in use as well!   you beat me to it :) 

Nope no spacers. Someone said check the rotors but if they were warped I don't think it would effect them this much at all.

you actually wont be checking for warped rotors. you're checking to see if the rotors are mounting to the axle flat.   if you can spin it and they wobble too, then a) warped rotors or b) they arn't flush to the face of the axle.   wouldn't hurt to try new rotors either way.    or just one new rotor and see if it fixes the issue on either side.

you said you put in new axles, so i would be hard pressed to see a bent axle on both sides. the only other way both axles would wobble at the same time is like @Det_Riot said, the caps came loose on the carrier.  If an axle tube was bent, the axle would still spin true on its new axis, just with a lot of resistance.

Very good point. I was also told to take the rotors off and out the wheels back on and do this again then I'd be able to tell if it's the rotors also

there ya go. just be careful not to hit the brakes if you put it in gear to run it ;)

Clutch packs and spider gears are shit... rebuild it..and replace the spider gears.. of.your doing that get a nice used explorer trac-loc.. use the 03-04 cobra carbon fiber fibers and steels, and that's the move up to the 31 spline territory.. top it off with a housing cover with main cap supports. 15ft/lb. Torque on cap supports.. good for a car that will pull the front wheels ;-)..