arayray

Alternator Powdercoat?

Has anyone disassembled their alternator and got it powdercoated? I seen a Youtube video on the disassembly of the alternator but I don't want to end up breaking a perfectly fine alternator.. Anyone with experience on this?

I am about to do the same with mine but I am going to take it to a local alt shop to take apart and inspect to ensure that everything looks good inside since its supposed to be a NOS HO alt.  The one I have can't be replaced so I am going to be sure its done right and working correctly before I powder and install it. 

No need to take it or send it anywhere. Take off pulley pull regulator and brushes, undo the three bolts holding case together. Split case yang armeture bull windings assemble in reverse order. For the price of sending it out you can buy a new one

Rich loves his vegetables.

@95opal ;)

When i was a young child the doctor told me to be sure to take in plenty of green leafy vegetables, they contain the highest amount of nutrients to keep you healthy. I tried them but didnt like the way they tasted so when i hit 15 i tried smoking them instead...ya know what the doctor was right ive been as healthy as could be, never sick, no other health issues whatsoever. Infact at my last physical the doctor couldnt believe i was 45, said im as healthy as an ox. Morale of the story... make sure you get enough greens in ya lol

Does anyone have a guide to taking one apart? Should I follow this video? Did you guys replace any parts while apart? @95opal @SVTurbo 98

You can follow that video but you don't need to completely take it apart like he did just to powder coat the front cover.  Just remove the pulley, unbolt the 3 bolts on the back that hold the rear plate and front cover on, remove the rear plate (should fall off) and tap the front cover off with a hammer/mallet or whatever works.  You could also pry the covers apart with a large flat head or something similar to get some separation and then use a hammer/mallet if it's giving you trouble.  I started with a new alternator so removing the front cover was easy.  Once you have the front cover off, remove the 3 t20 torx bolts on the inside of the cover and remove the plate.  Then remove the bearing and you're ready to powder coat.  I would try to avoid powder coating the inside of the case where it slides over the stator or you may have to grind some of the coating off.

You can follow that video but you don't need to completely take it apart like he did just to powder coat the front cover.  Just remove the pulley, unbolt the 3 bolts on the back that hold the rear plate and front cover on, remove the rear plate (should fall off) and tap the front cover off with a hammer/mallet or whatever works.  You could also pry the covers apart with a large flat head or something similar to get some separation and then use a hammer/mallet if it's giving you trouble.  I started with a new alternator so removing the front cover was easy.  Once you have the front cover off, remove the 3 t20 torx bolts on the inside of the cover and remove the plate.  Then remove the bearing and you're ready to powder coat.  I would try to avoid powder coating the inside of the case where it slides over the stator or you may have to grind some of the coating off.

Thanks alot for the info, I am going to see about doing this when I do my coolant crossover delete  :2thumb:

make sure you find out what areas of the casing you do not want powdered or if you cover up the ground area of the circuit inside it will look perty but not work.  This as the reason I was going to go to my local alt shop to have them take it apart. 

I got the alternator off and you can spin the pulley and hear the brushes making noise. I noticed that when you rev the motor, the battery light comes on which is a sign the alternator is going.

I read that it uses the mounting points on the bottom as a ground, is that correct? On top of the alternator the stud with a 10mm nut, is that a ground also (PICTURE BELOW)

sr-performance-alternator-150-amp-96-01-

yes the case acts as the ground for the alt.  I just took mine apart and the voltage regulator had two sides one of which was insulated from the case with a piece of plastic between it and the regulator and the screws had a plastic washer for that side as well.  The other side screwed directly to the case.  These points inside the alt are either important to mask or then later sand off the powder to get to the case to still carry the ground current.  You will also need to either mask or sand the areas where the mounting bolts hold the body to the block so that it can use the case to ground still. 

I went back and forth as to if I would take mine apart or not and finally did.  With my background in electronics and taking a lot of pics as I go I am sure I can get it powdered and back together correctly.  If I did not understand what was going on inside at least a little bit to recognize where these spots are then I would recommend finding a local alt shop.  they probably will not charge much to take it apart and point out these spots to you.