RedTwilight

RedTwilight ZERO's build

I guess I'll finally make a thread for the build up of RedTwilight ZERO.  My 1996 laser red Cobra.

I purchased it used back in Sept. 1999 with approx. 47,000 miles on the odometer.

This was my first manual car, but I have been driving tractors and four wheelers since I was little.  So it didn't take me long to get used to it.

It was completely stock except for the intake air silencer removed and a K&N conical filter.

I drove it this way until Feb. or March when I couldn't stand it any longer.  It was too quiet.  Something had to be done.  So I ordered up a 2 1/2" BBK off road H-pipe and 2 1/2" MAC Flowpath cat back. 

The difference and sound was outstanding and just what it needed.

I drove it like this for quite a while.  Daily driven, cruising, racing, and even car shows.  All the things one would want to do in such a vehicle.  I have been through more clutches than I care to count, and even obliterated 3rd in the original T-45.  So with that happening came it's first big change. 

The almighty and revered T-56 6 speed transmission!  I said I could either spend $1000.00 to rebuild the T-45 or put that $1000,00 towards acquiring the 6 speed.  And the later is exactly what I did.  So after a call to D&D Performance a T-56 with aluminum drive shaft was on the way.  At the same time I also upgraded to an 11" clutch.

And this is pretty much the way it has stayed while slowly acquiring parts for paint and body, suspension and other items.

It currently has well over 200,000 miles and several dents from daily driven duties and deer impacts. 

It's current list of installed mods are:

Engine and Drivetrain

removed air silencer

K&N cone filter

2 1/2" BBK off road H-pipe

2 1/2 MAC Flowpath cat back exhaust

Weapon X coil packs

Taylor 10.4mm ignition wires

Custom Ignition wire covers

Tremec T-56 Cobra spec 6 speed

Fidanza aluminum flywheel

11" Centerforce dual friction clutch

Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

Aluminum drive shaft

'03 Cobra radiator and fans

Exterior and Appearance

Painted body matching calipers

One piece clear projector headlights

Red Cobra grill emblem

'03 GMC Envoy fog lights with HID's

Interior

Cheap Cobra Misano L replica seats (true Misano L's to be purchased one day)

'03-'04 Ford Racing leather 6-speed with silver medallion shift knob

Autometer gauge bezel gauge pod

Autometer electric Phantom water temp and oil pressure gauges

Super bright LED's in factory dash cluster

Parts awaiting to be installed: (someday)

'03 IRS (waiting to purchase brake lines / fittings and FTBR bushings and diff cover)

Saleen rear bumper

Saleen side skirts

H.O. Fibertrends 1 1/2" cowl Cobra hood

Shinoda Boss decklid spoiler (still have but I've decided on a different spoiler)

ABC Exlusives Cobra front bumper extension / air dam (still have but unsure if I'll use)

Side Scoops (Stalker style)

Coil on plug conversion kit

'04 Cobra C.O.P's

'04 Cobra C.O.P. valve covers

'94-'98 Export side mirrors

Bullet style pedals

Maximum Motorsports 4 bolt Caster / Camber plates

'04 Cobra front lower control arms

Trunk Springs with Bumpers

Dome light door switch

Door Hinge pins

Front bumper cover hardware

Spoiler delete trunk lid

Slowly collecting parts for an Eaton swap!

Griggs Racing GR40 carbon fiber decklid spoiler

Carbon Driven '03-'04 Cobra carbon fiber side skirt splitters

Carbon Driven carbon fiber cowl panel

ThomasW's carbon fiber Firewall panel

Aerocatch carbon fiber hood latches

Rovos Durban Satin Bronze wheels 18x9 front / 18x10.5 rear 

Stiffler's "Fit" system subframe connectors, jacking rails, and matrix braces.

Stiffler's tubular transmission crossmember

ZERO

ZERO3ZERO1ZERO2

Engine

DSC_0784

Calipers painted to match.

c160b93a

Custom plug wire covers

DSC_0791

T-56 Cobra spec 6 speed

100_5289100_5287

'03 Independent Rear Suspension

03_IRS

'03 Envoy Fog lights and custom brackets

427011ae

H.O. Fibertrends 1 1/2" Cobra Cowl hood

DSC_0006DSC_0007

Authentic Saleen Side Skirts

20150829_124841

Edited by RedTwilight

Been loving it for 10+ years now!

PS - been diggin the build thread for the Whale Cannon!

Thanks man! Are you pushing your car towards any specific purpose or just cruiser/fun?

Thanks man! Are you pushing your car towards any specific purpose or just cruiser/fun?

Right now mostly cruiser / fun.  But I live only a short 30 min drive from VIR.  So I will be setting it up for a bit of handling.

How did you manage the reverse lock-out on the t56?

I wired up a switch to the solenoid.  I mounted the switch under the little power jack / cigarette lighter door in front of the shifter.  The small round rocker switch fit perfectly and the door closes over top.  No one would be able to tell it's there.

It is a little more of a pain and a little slower to shift into reverse than wiring to the brake switch.  But I like it!

That can be a little cumbersome.  I also had a switch wired up for some time, until I came across a MUCH better solution.  

You can replace the spring in the reverse lockout solenoid with a different one.  It still functions exactly like it is supposed to while you are driving - you can't possibly get into reverse.  If you are parked and ready to go into reverse, you can push through the gate, but it takes some effort.  Send a PM to Shifter on the corral.  The springs are cheap I believe.  I loved it - no more pain in the ass buttons!  

If you do go that rout, Mention Geargambler please!  

That can be a little cumbersome.  I also had a switch wired up for some time, until I came across a MUCH better solution.  

You can replace the spring in the reverse lockout solenoid with a different one.  It still functions exactly like it is supposed to while you are driving - you can't possibly get into reverse.  If you are parked and ready to go into reverse, you can push through the gate, but it takes some effort.  Send a PM to Shifter on the corral.  The springs are cheap I believe.  I loved it - no more pain in the ass buttons!  

If you do go that rout, Mention Geargambler please!  

Thanks for the tip.  But I've gotten used to the switch and it really doesn't take me any more time now to flip it on. 

I did do the Anti-Venom mod to the shift stop however.

Thought I'd finally post a little exhaust vid of ZERO.

Pay no attention to the smoke!  LOL  It's running quite rich!  Also after well over 200,000 miles there is probably a little leakage around the valve seals.

I've been rethinking my choice of rear spoiler.  Currently I have a new in box Shinoda Boss spoiler.  Below are a few examples I've found.

4775.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

1996_00009_06.jpg

07_zps00a16344.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

I like the way the Boss spoiler looks and flows into the body lines better than the S281 spoiler.  But I don't really like that it's soooo freakin big!

Originally I wanted to go with the Steeda wing until I found the Boss spoiler.  But now that I have it and have seen how big it is in person, I'm not so sure anymore.

So know I'm stuck planning on what I want to do here before paint and body work commences.

I'm either going to stick with the Boss spoiler, modify it to shorten it, sell it and buy a Steeda wing, sell it and buy a Griggs GR40, or attempt to make my own spoiler that encompasses what I'm really looking for.

I'd kinda like to try making my own.  But still not sure I'd be able to pull it off.  I guess I'll just have to try it and see!

i was never much of a fan of the boss spoiler.  too ridiculous that it actually has cup holders in it.  it's like flat out saying that they don't care about how it looks as long as you can eat your lunch on it.  i do love a steeda wing though and a GR40 is pretty sweet too.  i would get another trunk lid and try and make on yourself but if that doesn't work out you can always go with a different one.

First I think I'll try to make my own.  It'll probably end up looking like a cross between the Boss and the S281 spoilers.  If that doesn't work then I'll save for the Grigg's GR40.

I thought about going with the spoilerless look.  But with the Saleen side skirts and rear bumper, it'll look way off.  I've also thought about the Kaenan S281.  But it's over played.  Looks good, but everyone has one.  LOL

Now to read up on mold making and stuff.

Nearly forgot to update the thread.  I haven't gotten around to doing much to the car at all lately.  But at least I finally got one thing out of the way

Rebuilt the oil cooler in the Cobra.  Hopefully this will take care of the oil leak and coolant loss.

The Dirty!

20150530_135311

The Cleaned!

20150530_143206

The problem!

20150530_151449

Maybe I'll be able to start making updates to the thread more often!

Finally I'm able to drive the Cobra now! 

Got a new coolant hose that was close and just cut it to length.  So now NO MORE OIL OR COOLANT LEAKS! :banana:  

So next up will be to finish the rear end on the '93 then maybe I can get to doing a few little things here and there on the Cobra.  But first I've got an RC plane to finish airbrushing then I'll gonna airbrush a shirt for my dad's Father's Day gift.  I going to paint his drag car launching off the line on the back.

Some new parts to eventually install.  LOL

Maximum Motorsports 4 bolt caster / camber plates.

20150723_164954

'04 Cobra front lower control arms

20150725_125957

Parts for eventual Eaton (Kenne Bell / Whipple) swap.  Some shown above with the control arms.

20150725_143736

MMR stage III '04 Cobra heads with Manley valves and springs and titanium retainers.

IMG_4021IMG_4022

Slight update.  

Not really any work done, but moving closer to starting.

I got some guide coat, glazing putty, sandpaper, and sanding blocks.  I then pulled out the H.O. Fibertrends hood to begin preparation for the endless process of sanding and primer and more sanding all before paint.

Also ordered a few pieces for the eventual restification of the Cobra.

New trunk springs with bumpers

lrs-43128apr_7731.jpg

Dome light door switches

lrs-13713b_2184.jpg

Door hinge pins

lrs-bp7sn-k_8904.jpg

Front bumper cover hardware

lrs-8190hdwk_2274.jpg

resto parts clean shit up so nicely too!

Yesireebobo!   Just gotta get the rest of the car up to snuff before these go on.  

I figured since I was gonna be replacing the hinge pins I'd go ahead and order some of the other little bits and pieces I'll need.  

Now if i can just find some new hood nostril inserts.

I pulled to H.O. Fibertrends Cobra cowl hood out of storage yesterday and started block sanding and prep for primer.  The hood is a really nice piece.  The only thing I don't like about it is that the scoop bezels were molded in instead of being a 2 piece design like the factory.  

So now before I get too far I've got to decide on what to do with the scoops on the hood.  Do I want to

1. ~ cut out the moulded in bezels and make mount for the factory scoop bezels?

2. ~ go in with a dremel, files, and sandpaper to sharpen up and deepen the outlines of the moulded in bezels?

3. ~ or fill the outlines and smooth the area around the scoop.

Scoops as pulled out of the box.

20150830_150901

Scoops with guide coat on after a little block sanding.

20150830_160609

nice work man.  I'd probably fill the area and try to blend them in.

Thanks.  But I think I've decided to cut them out and fix it to use the factory bezels.  

That's just the level of detail that I'd hope to achieve throughout the entire car.

also, I just noticed we started our build threads exactly 1 year apart haha

Yeah but I've had the Cobra since September of 1999.  

I've been slacking! <_<

Got myself a spare Teksid block.  I plan to start building this one for the Eaton / Whipple / Kenne Bell swap while still being able to drive the car.  It was a good deal that included the Cobra Engineering timing dowel upgrade kit and ARP main side bolts.

20151115_12212820151115_074734

Also I found a spoiler delete trunk lid.  So now I don't have to spend all that time to fill the holes for the spoiler in my factory trunk lid.

20151115_173837

Been a while since I've updated this thread.  

I haven't really done anything to the Cobra other than drive it.  Though I have just pulled it into the shop and hope to start doing some body work to it soon.

I did purchase a new SVE FR500 steering wheel in black when it was on sale.

lrs-3601fr500-b_fc88617f.jpg

I'll get another pic when it comes in comparing it to the factory steering wheel.