Stang_GT

Targa Top

I am interested in more showing my car off and enjoying the car more than racing it. I know that sounds silly when I say I have stage 2 cams, going to get ported heads and a blower but.... Thats the way I roll... Semi fast and looking good. LOL I can do all the usual suspects of mods to make the car look good but I want my car to be different. I have been juggling the idea of a targa top or t top. I have never been a big fan of convertibles but living in Florida I like the idea of having the top down. What is you all's opinion on doing this to an SN95? Would it give it the WOW factor that I am looking for at shows? Because I know it would be 100% fun at the beach.

I have also heard that it is hard on the structure of a car when doing this. Does anyone with body shop experience know which way would be cheaper to do? And better for the car itself?

55505d1205986779-saleen-targa-top-skyvus

2004-ford-mustang-gt-side-view.jpg

Yep, Ernie built his own. I recall him saying he used parts from a vette top and a lot of creativity.

I would DEFINITELY recommend full length SFC's or through the floor SFC's and at least a 4 point or 6 point cage to restore the rigidity to the car.

Yep, Ernie built his own. I recall him saying he used parts from a vette top and a lot of creativity.

I would DEFINITELY recommend full length SFC's or through the floor SFC's and at least a 4 point or 6 point cage to restore the rigidity to the car.

+1

I would do both to keep it rigid and from flexing.  Also do this before the top is done.  That way it'll help to keep everything straight and prevent panel alignment problems latter on.

this is just me as i know a lot of people LOVE these cars with a targa top but i think it looks strange lol. i'd just cut the top off all together and get a smoothline hard top. prolly be a tad easier and would get the sun in your ride  B-)

this is just me as i know a lot of people LOVE these cars with a targa top but i think it looks strange lol. i'd just cut the top off all together and get a smoothline hard top. prolly be a tad easier and would get the sun in your ride  B-)

I wish the Smoothline tops weren't so ewwww though.

Mustang05.jpg

i like the idea of it, but i dont think it flows well on our cars.   Like these guys said though, making sure the body is still rigid after its all done is probably the only thing i would worry about. 

I always loved the concept but not so much the execution.  naplam's setup is the best one I've seen because it actually goes to the pillar.  I would love to see somebody do the glasstop moonroof like on that saleen but I doubt that would be easy to do.

Was the other thread on here about this by @Nerdman ? Cant seem to find that thread though. Had some good info. i think its an awesome idea and i think it looks awesome! Its just not something i need to add to my list of things to do :D 

Ok... Lets get something straight.... (speaking of the blue and silver targa) If I targa or t top my car... Its definatly going to look better than that. Granted, each therer own on there own rides.. If they like it more power to them.

Ok... Lets get something straight.... (speaking of the blue and silver targa) If I targa or t top my car... Its definatly going to look better than that. Granted, each therer own on there own rides.. If they like it more power to them.

i think you have a super clean car in great shape...would hate to see ya hack it up in a way that may destroy it lol. i think a couple years down the road you may start to see the affects of removing that part of the car....with strange gaps between all the panels starting to develop. trust me, as an ex minitrucker i have seen things done to nice perfect bodies that RUINED the trucks...forever :( 1 being trying to make a minitruck a convertible. unless you have someone with serious experience in this and they know EXACTLY what to do to make this car hold tight in the right spots...i bet you get sags and gaps like crazy. 

I have often thought that it might be cool if the center section of the roof skin were removable but left the arches between the a/c pillars.  Not sure though it  might not be bad, or it might be really bad....  I don't think it would be that hard to do just hard to make it look good from the inside with the skin on.

i think you have a super clean car in great shape...would hate to see ya hack it up in a way that may destroy it lol. i think a couple years down the road you may start to see the affects of removing that part of the car....with strange gaps between all the panels starting to develop. trust me, as an ex minitrucker i have seen things done to nice perfect bodies that RUINED the trucks...forever :( 1 being trying to make a minitruck a convertible. unless you have someone with serious experience in this and they know EXACTLY what to do to make this car hold tight in the right spots...i bet you get sags and gaps like crazy. 

That's why i am asking questions and doing a lot of research before hand before doing anything to the roof of the car. As is I have only found 1 guy in my area that is even willing to do it which kinda makes me leary. Any time will tell what I find.