arayray

Knocking Noise? Detonation?

I have been trying to figure out what this knocking noise I have been hearing throughout each gear at different RPMs is.. It has been around ever since I put my longtubes on and tuned it... I thought it was just something hitting on the headers but recently noticed that the noise occurs at the same time that my wideband goes lean. 

It is very noticable in 1st gear pulling out when it gets to about 2500-3500 rpm (wideband goes lean) and in 3rd/4th at about the same rpm under load. It makes a knocking/rattling/marbles in a can sound and it is driving me crazy. I do not want to damage the car anymore than I probably have (not knowing it was engine related)

I have my tunes through BAMA Tuning (AmericanMuscle) and I am not very happy with them, multiple times I have contacted them and they do not seem to want to help. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: After many times calling and testing new tunes from BAMA, they sent me a tune with stock timing & just mods for longtubes & my other mods. I still am getting the knocking still and they are telling me it is probably fuel related, fuel injectors/fuel pump etc. What should I do to check all of these? The car has a new fuel filter that doesn't have more than 300 miles on it (i know they still can go bad). 

I am going to drop the tank while putting my IRS in, how can I check the fuel pump?

Sucks dude but this is exactly why I wouuld never go with a bama tune no matter how many lifetime tunes I get. Go to a shop with a real dyno and get it done right. After all the time and money you've invested, why skimp on the tune that is going to keep your motor healthy?

I relocated my wideband sensor closer to the header to make sure I am getting correct readings but when it does it goes lean, it pegs the gauge at 17.0.... I get the noise at cold start up also & the afr is at 17.0 but once it idles down the gauge reads at 14.0 - 15.5ish.. I told BAMA about it and they tried to tell me its the lash adjusters  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Any input on adjusting the timing? I was told on SVTP to dial the timing back via the tuner. As for dyno tuning, I simply do not have the money to do that right now and only have the simple bolt ons. 

X2 on having a reputable shop tune your car, and 17.0 is way too lean. My car never got above 13.7 on wot dyno pulls and I know that's a little rich, but it's safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have the money to do that right now, I am stuck with the BAMA Tunes for now. Will adjusting the timing via the tuner itself work?

If the options are there you should be able to pull timing and add fuel. Be careful and start saving your pennies for a better tune.

When you have the money for a dyno tune in the future, there are two places I'd recommend. Wolfpack Speed on Campbells Run Rd. and Rodeheaver's Hot Rod in Masontown, PA (Tim at Rodeheavers tuned my car). I believe Tim charged $450 for my tuning, not sure what Mike at Wolfpack charges.

When you have the money for a dyno tune in the future, there are two places I'd recommend. Wolfpack Speed on Campbells Run Rd. and Rodeheaver's Hot Rod in Masontown, PA (Tim at Rodeheavers tuned my car). I believe Tim charged $450 for my tuning, not sure what Mike at Wolfpack charges.

See I really didn't want to have to pay that since I only have basic bolt ons. I raised some hell and BAMA's lead tuner is working on it, hope they get this straightened out!

See I really didn't want to have to pay that since I only have basic bolt ons. I raised some hell and BAMA's lead tuner is working on it, hope they get this straightened out!

That's good to hear!

And yea I know you said earlier you didn't want a dyno tune yet, that was just a recommendation for the future like I said. I'm sure more mods will inevitably come ;)

who'd you talk to?  i don't work till tuesday night but if they are still giving you crap, i'll see what i can do.  PM your info if its not straightened out by then.

who'd you talk to? i don't work till tuesday night but if they are still giving you crap, i'll see what i can do. PM your info if its not straightened out by then.

I was initially talking to Ryan McDonald but Paul took over yesterday. I emailed him & tried to call him because the tune he sent me was way off but he has not got back to me.

Pm sent with my info, thank you for the help

Well, haven't heard back from their 'LEAD' tuner since last Thursday. I am disgusted with this whole situation and this isn't the first time it has happened, everytime you call you have to fight them to do anything. 

I will be getting a dyno tune as soon as I can.

If you can find a pressure gauge you can check your fuel pressure. Ideally under WOT. Does it ping with the stock tune? If the long tubes are the main mod you can run the stock tune to check.

Yes it does ping. A little background on my car, my father & I did a full on rebuild of the car so it sat for about a year. During this time I did my mods, longtube headers, egr & sai delete and o/r x pipe (no rear o2s). The car has a brand new fuel filter that we installed but doesn't have more than 300 miles on it (i know it still can be bad but very unlikely). This leads me to either fuel pump or injectors.