frank830

advice on cutting stock springs

So quick question up to how many coils could you cut on your stock springs to get away with having to put cc plates?

I heard the max is 1" drop

if so how much should i cut to have it at a 1" drop?

-Stock suspension

-For temporary

-1994 mustang gt

-18" saleens

-9x18 front 255/35r18

-10.5x18 rear 295/35r18

i think i cut almost 2.5 coils out of mine and it gave almost an inch drop per coil.  it all depends on the car really if you will need CC plates or not.  If its "for temporary", dont even get it aligned, you'll just have more camber than normal.  make sure to cut the same amount side to side, and just experiment, start with 1/2 a coil, put em back in, see if its what you want, just dont go all out and cut 3 coils off and then expect it to be where you want it. 

also, you're ride will suffer a little, but its nothing crazy.  it rides about the same as putting in cheap lowering springs.

You don't ever "need" caster camber plates, you will just have negative camber without them. I'd start by cutting one coil. A coil won't hurt anything and the car will still ride great. I've had 3 coils cut off of stock springs before and it still rode great.

i think i cut almost 2.5 coils out of mine and it gave almost an inch drop per coil. it all depends on the car really if you will need CC plates or not. If its "for temporary", dont even get it aligned, you'll just have more camber than normal. make sure to cut the same amount side to side, and just experiment, start with 1/2 a coil, put em back in, see if its what you want, just dont go all out and cut 3 coils off and then expect it to be where you want it.

also, you're ride will suffer a little, but its nothing crazy. it rides about the same as putting in cheap lowering springs.

You don't ever "need" caster camber plates, you will just have negative camber without them. I'd start by cutting one coil. A coil won't hurt anything and the car will still ride great. I've had 3 coils cut off of stock springs before and it still rode great.

Basically ^

I didn't have CC plates til I switched to coilovers. You're safe cutting around like 2-3 coils. Do whatever it takes to slam that SOB to the pavement.

Yes/no. If you really feel the need to cut springs for a temporary drop, the proper way to do it would be to cut half a spring at a time, put them back in, see how it sits, roll it around, then decide if you want to cut more.

You can pick up used spring sets for like 100-125 though so idk why you're considering cutting them and doing all the extra work.

Regardless, as far as the camber/caster plate goes, "needing" them depends on how correct you want your suspension geometry to be and how much you feel like wearing through your tires. To drop a car correctly, you put camber/caster plates on it to get the extra adjustment for c/c that you can't achieve with the stock plates.

If you want to half ass it, rock excessive negative camber, and wear down your tires on the inside faster than you should, hey, be my guest, but don't expect people to feel sorry for you when you come back in 5 months and post a thread about how only the inside if the tire is worn to the cords.

Yes/no. If you really feel the need to cut springs for a temporary drop, the proper way to do it would be to cut half a spring at a time, put them back in, see how it sits, roll it around, then decide if you want to cut more.

You can pick up used spring sets for like 100-125 though so idk why you're considering cutting them and doing all the extra work.

Regardless, as far as the camber/caster plate goes, "needing" them depends on how correct you want your suspension geometry to be and how much you feel like wearing through your tires. To drop a car correctly, you put camber/caster plates on it to get the extra adjustment for c/c that you can't achieve with the stock plates.

If you want to half ass it, rock excessive negative camber, and wear down your tires on the inside faster than you should, hey, be my guest, but don't expect people to feel sorry for you when you come back in 5 months and post a thread about how only the inside if the tire is worn to the cords.

You mean -5 degrees of camber wont help me carve up the streets and will make my tres were on the inside. Dam thats all that will happen ... shits strait gonna have to try rockin -10* maybe i can sit it on the sidewall lolz