Black & Red

Axle Damper Weight:

usually that's from people not swapping all the bearings around, not the weight.

usually that's from people not swapping all the bearings around, not the weight.

I will eventually do an engine swap to a Total Engine Airflow headed 4.6 with my own custom camshaft profiles ground for me by Ultradyne, our longtime cam grinder. I am planning a 3.90-4.10 axle, so any links to the aluminum shaft???

P.S. Based on calculations, a 3.27 axle in OD would have a 2.22 FDR and turn roughly 2,033 RPM @ 70 mph.  A 4.10 axle in OD would have a 2.78:1 FDR and turn roughly 2,500 RPM @ 70 mph, so we are talking a difference of only 500 RPM shaft speed.

Sure seems odd that this would cause issues when I have made much bigger jumps in other vehicles... :wacko:

P.S. wouldn't it be wise to keep the weight bracket as it serves as a bump stop impact surface???

Right, but the bolts that hold the weight go through the webbing and into a bracket that serves as an impact surface for the bumpstop...

yes but the bracket itself has captured nuts, and I just used two shorter bolts and washers were the damper used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will eventually do an engine swap to a Total Engine Airflow headed 4.6 with my own custom camshaft profiles ground for me by Ultradyne, our longtime cam grinder. I am planning a 3.90-4.10 axle, so any links to the aluminum shaft???

heres a link for the driveshaft:

http://bit.ly/1xFXvlf

or do a search for a ford aerostar driveshaft, aluminum as well and is the correct length. 

http://bit.ly/1xFXy0r

cant find the original posts i made about this.  but i believe this is correct. 

Aluminum driveshaft from AeroStar:
It needs to be from a 92-93-94 Aerostar AWD and you will need u-joint part #353 from NAPA. It is supposed to be a bolt up once the U joints are replaced.

and you need to swap your flanges over from the mustang

cant find the original posts i made about this.  but i believe this is correct. 

Aluminum driveshaft from AeroStar:

It needs to be from a 92-93-94 Aerostar AWD and you will need u-joint part #353 from NAPA. It is supposed to be a bolt up once the U joints are replaced.

and you need to swap your flanges over from the mustang

WoW!

That's great news!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well yes and no. It's not a performance part, don't treat is as such. You still want to go frpp or aftermarket if you want that.

True, but a great upgrade for my driver.... ;)

WoW!

That's great news!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 353 is a "split dimension" u-joint, same style used when putting an 8" drive shaft up to a 9" differential....

I'm talking about the d/s, not the u joint

Right, 

I was just commenting on the fact I am familiar with that joint. It will adapt the narrow Mustang flange to the wider Aerostar u-joint...