Black & Red

Windsor 2V PI???

Guys,

I'm looking to build up a 4.6 2V for my Mustang, just a little side garage project to play around with. My current motor is great at 211,000 and no oil use between 10,000 to 12,000 mile changes on Mobil 1, confirmed by oil analysis reports.

I have always like the full floating pins on the Windsor and was thinking, since I will be swapping the engine out complete, why not just pick up a Windsor to base my rebuild on???

My question is, did the Windsor have a 'PI' version and what donor vehicles/years should I be searching for??? I am going to have Total Engine Airflow do the heads, but I want to start with a 'PI' casting.

Thanks for your time and expertise...

Ok,

So what pistons would I want for my Windsor PI buildup to keep my compression around 9.50:1 (stock) basically....????

From what I read, all the 'PI' heads (Romeo & Windsor) all have the same size chambers. FYI I want to run floating pins in this motor...

Thanks for your time!!!!!

Ok,

So what pistons would I want for my Windsor PI buildup to keep my compression around 9.50:1 (stock) basically....????

From what I read, all the 'PI' heads (Romeo & Windsor) all have the same size chambers. FYI I want to run floating pins in this motor...

Thanks for your time!!!!!

I thought you wanted 9.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever stock is...I have seen documentation to show both 9.3 and 9.5:1 on the 4.6 V8.

Maybe what's confusing me is the big bump in compression you get with 'PI' heads and 'Non-PI' pistons????

PI motors are gonna have the same compression, regardless of windsor/romeo.  heres the piston dish of the 2v's.

SOHC 4.6L, 5.4L,and 6.8L
1991 thru 1998 ----- 10.49cc dish
1999 thru 2000 ----- 18.10cc dish
2001 thru 2004 ----- 15.80cc dish

here's some more useful info:

COMPRESSION SPECS

PISTON    HEADS     HEADS

DISH CC     NPI          PI  
Flatop      10:3:1    11:2:1
2.66cc     10:0:1    10:9:1
4.54cc     9:8:1     10:7:1
10.49cc   8:9:1      9:5:1