PeteKidwell

Aluminum Drive Shaft

I would like to have a aluminum drive shaft can't afford a new right now. Anyone know what will fit from other vehicles my 95 was a v6 auto it is a 351w & C4 iam sure everyone knows I had to make a trans mount.The drive shaft in it now is the V6 its to short I think I will need between 48 to 48 1/2 that's drive shaft only end to end. Any help well be appreciate.   

There are a bunch of shops that can change the length / balance a driveshaft and it isn't too terribly expensive.  I had mine done by Deer Park Driveshaft in NY.  I needed it shortened to work with the T56 I had.  They changed the length and balanced it for me.  I can't remember what I paid for it though.

So find a driveshaft and have a shop modify it?  hopefully this helps a bit!  

I'm assuming you saw the other thread where I was saying Aerostar driveshafts are aluminum? I don't know the lengths but if it's the same as a stock gt with a t45 then go for it. Otherwise I don't know of any oem aluminum driveshafts that would work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically no. It's not supposed to be used as an upgrade. I believe the wall thickness is less than a frpp alum d/s. But so far after 30k miles of abuse on mine it's still rocking and rolling

maybe it would be a good idea to do a driveshaft safety loop then?  I mean when they go, it reminds me of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXBjVIrR08

that was just from it spinning too fast not from the torque.  Hard to believe that ford had the aerostars driveshaft in mind when going 100mph +.  I am all for upgrading and trying to save a buck, but not sure this is the time to combine the two.

I've been looking at the aluminum and carbon fiber shafts from the drive shaft shop. My car have having vibes on the dyno around 120 mph and I deff don't wanna fling a shaft like that car^.

I've been looking at the aluminum and carbon fiber shafts from the drive shaft shop. My car have having vibes on the dyno around 120 mph and I deff don't wanna fling a shaft like that car^.

For the street there's no possible way I'd rock a carbon driveshaft. Carbon doesn't have the strength to resist rocks and road debris the same way an aluminum driveshaft does. I'd be terrified of smoking something and having it shatter.

For the street there's no possible way I'd rock a carbon driveshaft. Carbon doesn't have the strength to resist rocks and road debris the same way an aluminum driveshaft does. I'd be terrified of smoking something and having it shatter.

true I didn't even consider ones durability to road debris and other hazards for a street car, but doesn't the 13-14 gt500 come stock with a carbon fiber drive shaft?

• Moderators

Interesting when someone brings up carbon fiber suddenly the idea of it exploding is an issue, but modifying an aerostar :2thumb: no problem  :blush:

Difference between twisting strength and puncture/shear strength.  Also, no one said that the Aerostar was stronger driveshaft; only that it was aluminum and would fit.

also, the 05+ have two piece driveshafts. so that video might as well be thrown out the window in this case, and we have no idea how it broke.  Did the center bearing explode? Did a U-joint explode?  apples to oranges.

true I didn't even consider ones durability to road debris and other hazards for a street car, but doesn't the 13-14 gt500 come stock with a carbon fiber drive shaft?

Yes they do! if you want to buy one, theyre a little pricey lol

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=KPILa9EgkSKXw1ZTz9uHng%3d%3d&id=295934713&m=2&search=true&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Mustang

he took the speed limiter off of the car with a tuner and that drive shaft was not made to spin that fast if I remember correctly.  Wonder what the aerostars was made to handle, prior to being modified by the cheapest place that could be found?  I would trust a carbon fiber before a modified minivans myself.  If rocks are your biggest concern it would need to go through the x-pipe on my exhaust to get a solid enough shot to do serious damage. 

I would give some serious thought to a driveshaft safety loop if you go through with this. 

Got my drive shaft fixed today. He shorten it put two new spicer u joints in balanced & polished it for $125.93 took it to him at 10am an picked it up at 3.30 it looks great an rides a whole lot better. IT was out of a 93 explorer 4 door 2 wheel drive at least that's what it had written on it.

post-542-0-94418800-1415755509_thumb.jpg

post-542-0-63597700-1415755578_thumb.jpg

post-542-0-56029400-1415755627_thumb.jpg