Prokiller

storage solution

what do you guys use for media storage?  I had been using two older buffalo NAS devices that started out as 500gb each.  I was manually mirroring them.  I then upgraded to 2tb drives in each.  When i moved, the one drive died upon transit.  So i felt it was time to upgrade.  i got this guy and it's been great.  love the functionality of it.  Also has an app to connect and download/upload anywhere from smart devices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165589&cm_re=buffalo_ls210d0201-_-22-165-589-_-Product

While i was transferring the data over from the working NAS to this new one, it seems to have crippled the old one.  It will boot up and run but transferring any large amount of data hoses it up and the drive crashes.  So i've had it off for a couple weeks now.  So i'm back to the drawing board for a backup solution.  I know we got a decent amount of tech and nerd guys on here so what are you guys doing?

It has to be a NAS and of at least 2tb of storage.  I'm really leaning to a bay'ed RAID solution but not sure i want to spend the money on it.

• Moderators

I'd love to know this too.  I have a couple of Western Digital MyBooks that I've never used (at least not the 1TB one).  I really want to start ripping my DVDs and Blu Rays to hard drive and a "server" so that I can access them from smart TVs.  That's a whole other issue since I have no idea how to do that.

that link that i posted should do just that chris.

i'm liking this one but there are no reviews that i can find anywhere.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165611

i have a collection of 1tb drives that i got from a server at work that i can use for it and put it in RAID5 which will give me 3tb useable.  which will be enough for the moment.

This is beyond my skills lol, but will be a good reference for later. I just have what chris was saying, WD mybooks. Also WD just came out with a cloud external hard drive! Might look into that also. I want my own personal cloud!

• Moderators

This is beyond my skills lol, but will be a good reference for later. I just have what chris was saying, WD mybooks. Also WD just came out with a cloud external hard drive! Might look into that also. I want my own personal cloud!

I saw those last week.  That's what got me thinking about ripping my DVD collection again.  

i have a dedicated server(old ass machine) that i have a raid running on.  I set it up in college, cant remember shit about it, but its still running and i have 1tb of storage. lol