smallblocksn95

IRS swap

What about it has you on the fence? I think the IRS is really nice. Rides and drives pretty well, looks cool, and it's unique. It should handle a couple trips to the drag strip just fine with the right setup. A couple guys on here have the IRS with the FTBR setup and should be able to give you some more insight on it. The FTBR kit is real good stuff though.

For those that have done the swap, what cat back did you go with? I love my magnapack that's on the car now, but they don't offer it for irs. Is there a crazy difference in sound between the standard magna flow mufflers? I was kinda looking at the pypes set up, but have never heard it in person

The standard are a bit quieter but the same tone, that's a comparison with mine and my buddy's car. I have the lager mufflers and he has the magna packs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that would be more work than it's worth honestly lol. You'd probably be talking a level of modification on par with back halfing the car. I guess if you came into the S550 unit dirt cheap it would be worth all the work, provided it didn't need overhauled like the 99-04 version did in terms of bushings and such.

Haha, yeah probably more work than it's worth. I'm just stirring the pot a little. Was a passing thought when I first saw the S550 IRS is a removable assembly like the Cobra IRS. I bet someone will do it sometime, but not me.

I've had my '03 IRS for at least 5 years now.  Still hadn't installed it in the car!  I want to do the FTBR kit before it goes in but hadn't had the money to get it all and the diff cover yet.  But someday...  someday...  I WILL get it in!

I think I have had mine for 5 years. I did the full FTBR kit. I can't comment on how it handles because it has never moved. However the quality on their parts is too notch. And customer service is amazing. Can't say enough good things about them.

I used a Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft, but it's essentially a stock 94-95 driveshaft length-wise. However, I'm using a Tremec 3550 so I don't know if that changes anything for the driveshaft length.

What year model is the IRS from?  I know if it was a 03-04 you would have to use your factory pinion flange or use a hybrid U-joint to adapt to the '03-04's pinion flange.  I'm not sure right at the moment about the flange from previous year model IRS.

I know this thread is a couple years old. But I was wondering if anyone has gone from a full touque arm / panhard bar setup to an IRS setup. If so,  did you like it better?  Ive been wanting to put an IRS in my car, but have invested quite a bit in the current setup. 

My old  SN95 car I did the Griggs GR40 Super Street setup (with a few upgrades to the kit). Awesome night and day setup over a modified 4 link (I had the Eibach Pro Street system and swaybars before the Griggs setup).

When I built my Cobra, I decided not to swap the rear GR40 stuff over and go IRS instead. I did the Full Tilt Boogie FT5000 kit and a FRPP Diff cover. Im on single adjustable Koni's and coilovers all around. All I have to say is, I love it! I'd never want or put back a solid axle even if Im making a 1000+ HP.

Also check out this article from Maximum Motorsports.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_rear_susp_irs_faq_royce.aspx

Sounds like the IRS is a pretty sweet install. I read the article and it seams to more predictable. I have to focus on getting my car back from paint. Hopefully within the next couple days. Now I wonder how much I could offset the cost of an IRS with selling my setup. It never ends. 

• Supporting Member

Another IRS swapped sn95 over here.  I've had mine since 2004 though, and I've swapped it from car to car more times than I care to recount but perhaps that's some indication of how much I like it.  I have the maximum motorsports package on mine and with the proper front suspension it makes a mustang feel like a go-kart.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Evilcw311 said:

I'd say you should be able to offset a decent amount. A year or so ago you could still find 03/04 irs complete for around $600-800. Now that's about what the 99-01's go for and 03/04 for for over $1k

Higher than that now. Most are around $1000-1500.