Lanter

Lanter's rebuild of a '98 Cobra

that turbo looks awesome in there. for the top radiator mount, could you just cut some reliefs in the part of the bracket that goes down, so you can then slide the grommet over the radiator stud, and then drill a new hole in the bracket and re-use the existing hole to mount it in? if that makes sense?

Thanks man. It still needs a little adjustment to make the fan fit in there but it's coming along. Yea I think I could trim the brackets to allow them to move forward with the radiator. I may try it after everything's together but at this point it holds it really solid, probably make a trip to a salvage yard and pick up another pair of brackets so I can modify them and have my stock ones encase I can't get them to work out and look decent.

On another note my fuel system came in but I needed to order more fittings so I can run my rails in parallel. Planning on painting the underbody this weekend as well as cutting out the factory fuel lines to prep for the install.

Started getting the fuel system laid out over the weekend.  Goals were to get everything in and start assembling AN fittings but after several mishaps with cleaning and painting the day ran out.  Some progress was made though, now I need to decide whether to run a battery relocation kit or just buy a new tray and leave the battery where is was originally.  Those who are running a relocation kit are you glad you did or what are some things you would do different?

So back to the fuel system.  I started by cleaning and painting then cutting the plastic tank cover.

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

That was easy enough, just requires patience and cutting it short then trimming to fit.

After that I assembled the fuel pumps and moved my factory pump/level sensor over to the new tank.

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

Mounted the pumps to the plastic tank cover per Glenn's directions.

IMG_2600.jpg

By this time it was getting dark so I didn't get a chance to run lines or start wiring.  I need to cut the factory pump wiring to use as my signal wire to the relay board I am in the middle of building, also to keep the factory pump from running.  I did throw the tank up in the car to check for clearances and see how I wanted to route the fuel lines but it was to dark to take any pictures.  So then I went inside and finished up my relay board that will power all my gauges and interior accessories, after that I called it a night and will try to finish out the install this weekend and possibly lay in a battery box if I decide to relocate it.

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

Relay board consists of two 30 amp relays with a 6 circuit fused distribution block.  Then two distribution blocks for the wiring harness.  The fuel pump relay board will also be two 30 amp relays but with a fused relay power and fuel pump power wires.  

Very nice work with the wiring!

Thanks! the wiring harness portions will be covered in techflex so I am hoping they will look pretty clean when installed.  The main relay board will be in the glove box with the fuel pump board back in the trunk.

You will like relocating the battery cleans up the engine bay so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kit would you recommend?  I am looking at the standard jegs/summit ones with a plastic box right now and I like the look of the box as it isn't flashy and shouldn't catch anyone's eye.

Got another question for those running dual pumps.  Do you guys run one relay to power both or run dual?  I am planning to run dual just to get as stable a power source as possible to each pump so the next question is should I run each pump to one relay then bridge the two pumps together, idea being if one relay fails the other can still power both pumps and I won't risk starving the engine for fuel.  My biggest concern is having one pump operate without the other and not knowing it.

Thanks! the wiring harness portions will be covered in techflex so I am hoping they will look pretty clean when installed. The main relay board will be in the glove box with the fuel pump board back in the trunk.

What kit would you recommend? I am looking at the standard jegs/summit ones with a plastic box right now and I like the look of the box as it isn't flashy and shouldn't catch anyone's eye.

Got another question for those running dual pumps. Do you guys run one relay to power both or run dual? I am planning to run dual just to get as stable a power source as possible to each pump so the next question is should I run each pump to one relay then bridge the two pumps together, idea being if one relay fails the other can still power both pumps and I won't risk starving the engine for fuel. My biggest concern is having one pump operate without the other and not knowing it.

I have the Taylor box and it's nice just kinda bulky. I really like the smaller boxes that are custom made for the optima battery's they looks very clean and don't take up much space.

I have one relay for both pumps.  I'd rather both pumps go out than the possibility of losing one and running lean. 

That's my feeling as well.  That's why I was considering running both pumps connected then to both relays so if one relay goes out the other relay takes up the slack.  Also if there is a short in the wiring the fuses on both pumps will blow shutting both off.  I may just run one relay and not try to get creative by running two.

Finished my fuel pump relay board. I'm going to go Tabres route and just run one relay for both pumps. I already had the holes drilled for both so i figured I might as well put both relays on the board. So I'll have an extra circuit for something down the road.

318d1e98782258e432b458b554136d16.jpg

All that's left on the relay boards is to hook up the power, ground and trigger wires.

I'm loving your build :)

Thanks man, its coming along albeit painfully slow lol.   Our builds are really similar except for the cars body and color.  Looking forward to more updates from your build.!

I know! I was looking through it and was like...holy crap, its my dopleganger. I'm sorry, but I totally ordered an on3 crossover deleteast night after looking at your engine bay pictures..

:D

When did you look at my thread last? I got some new stuff in there.

I checked yours out this morning. I'm really jealous of the MM coilovers! No worries, the crossover delete cleans everything up so much I really don't know why more people don't run them. Plus getting rid of the thermostat housing in the lower hose frees up a ton of room.

No worries, the crossover delete cleans everything up so much I really don't know why more people don't run them. Plus getting rid of the thermostat housing in the lower hose frees up a ton of room.

It's a must for a turbo car, imo.

The wiring for the fuel setup looks great.  Can't wait to see more progress!

It's a must for a turbo car, imo.

The wiring for the fuel setup looks great.  Can't wait to see more progress!

Very true... I think your car was the first one I saw with the crossover delete.  Definitely stuck in my mind how clean it looked and then the idea of moving the thermostat sold me on it with the need for down-pipe real estate.  Thanks for the compliment, wiring is one of the things I really enjoy since you can make the panels look however you want.

Also I think there's a lot of us still waiting on a video of your car in action @Tabres !!  Better get on it when the rain subsides.   B-)

I checked yours out this morning. I'm really jealous of the MM coilovers! No worries, the crossover delete cleans everything up so much I really don't know why more people don't run them. Plus getting rid of the thermostat housing in the lower hose frees up a ton of room.

Yea, my factory one is rusted and the old owner lb welded it to fix a leak and..it just looked bad.. I was going to paint it since I have so much paint left over but it wasn't worth it so.. And the MM coilovers are nice but they are a pretty penny. I still haven't been able to afford the rear ones.

Also I think there's a lot of us still waiting on a video of your car in action @Tabres !!  Better get on it when the rain subsides.   B-)

I'll be taking the car to a 1/2 mile event in September so I'll definitely have video from that.  May try to make it to a open-track even in August too if work isn't too crazy and I can sneak away.

Until then I'm continuing to build an ark in my back yard *sigh*

Small update, this weekend was super busy so I only got a couple hours to work on the car.  So I wasn't able to do anything major at all but was able to knock out a small side project for the most part.  I knew that I wanted to run a boost controller but couldn't decide where to put it.  It's not something I need to monitor all the time but still something I wanted to have accessible.  My thoughts were glove box or cutting up the center console to have it sit behind the cup holders by the fog light switch.  Problem with the latter is cutting up a perfect center console.  I couldn't bring myself to do that and after seeing @95riosnake cup holder gauge pod I decided to try my hand at fiber glassing one, after getting Dan's ok with mimicking his idea of course.  :)

So I purchased a beat up cup holder off eBay for cheap and started epoxying in the pvc pipe that will hold the boost controller.

gaugepod1.jpg

Then stretched some fleece, from an old pair of my wife's sweats, over the cup holder.  After they were clamped on and tight I applied a generous amount of resin and then started the process of trimming and sanding the gauge pod.  It fits great but still needs a lot of sanding to get it smooth and ready for black paint to match the center console.

gaugepod2.jpg

gaugepod3.jpg

gaugepod5.jpg

gaugepod6.jpg

I know its a pretty boring update but with the holiday weekend coming up I am hoping to get some serious work time in on the car and start getting it back together.

Looking good man! You could have probably even left the rear cup holder open if you wanted to. I love the manly fabric print also lol.

Thanks Dan, I had considered it but then the nightmare of a drink being spilled onto the boost controller flashed across my eyes so I quickly elected to just cover it. Plus out of the almost 10 years of owning the car I maybe have had a handful of drinks in the car so this is just a good excuse to make sure no drinks make it in.  I did make the back somewhat flat though so there is the possibility of adding a switch or something in the future. Haha everyone knows nothing screams racecar like blue and purple peace/love patterned gauge pods.

that is bad-fucking-ass.

Thanks man, it's turning out great and puts the gauge in a perfect spot to make changes to settings and be able to glance over at it.  All credit for the idea has to go to Dan though, as his build thread is what cemented the idea of putting the gauge there.  That's one thing I love about this forum is all the great ideas that are floating around.  Only downside is making my build take way longer than it should  :rolleyes:

so uh... how much are you charging.........?? 

Ha.. not something I thought of.  Honestly though its such a fun and easy project that anyone could pull it off and really that makes more sense as you can make it fit your needs.  Like gauge placement or adding a flat spot for switches or anything really.  I think I have like 40 bucks in material and then just time.  

In all reality it all comes down getting the time to work on the car, which is to scarce as it is to take on other projects.  That's the main reason I stopped buying/building guns.  Having a toddler really stops the spare time in its tracks lol.

Coming right along!  The cup holder gauge pod is real slick.  What secures the cup holder into the console?  Do you have an estimated start-up date or is it just a it'll happen when it happens sort of thing?  And in regards to the radiator setup, have you considered trying to find a thinner fan assembly?  Perhaps that could get you some more room for the turbo.  

Coming right along!  The cup holder gauge pod is real slick.  What secures the cup holder into the console?  Do you have an estimated start-up date or is it just a it'll happen when it happens sort of thing?  And in regards to the radiator setup, have you considered trying to find a thinner fan assembly?  Perhaps that could get you some more room for the turbo.  

Thanks man!  The cup holder in a '98 console snaps into the console.  So the gauge pod retains that feature.  There is a tab on the rear and three metal clips in the front that click in to the console and hold it secure.  So the entire thing is removable and my original cup holder is still in great shape and sitting on the garage bench if I ever want to go back. That's what I loved about the idea using the cup holder is its completely removable and doesn't require modifying the center console.  Man I would love to have a date to say I am going to start it up but I have done that in the past and never met my goals.  So it's just a happens when it happens at this point.  Really would love to hear it run by the end of this year and then get the trans and clutch set up I want around spring next year and hopefully finish everything up around this time next year.  

I am considering a thinner fan but am planning to give it one last try to get the room I need.  I think I can move the turbo back and just clear but it will be close.  Not the end of the world though if I need a new fan setup, just would really like to stick with the factory one as they flow great and the wiring wouldn't need touched.

Thanks man!  The cup holder in a '98 console snaps into the console.  So the gauge pod retains that feature.  There is a tab on the rear and three metal clips in the front that click in to the console and hold it secure.  So the entire thing is removable and my original cup holder is still in great shape and sitting on the garage bench if I ever want to go back. That's what I loved about the idea using the cup holder is its completely removable and doesn't require modifying the center console.  Man I would love to have a date to say I am going to start it up but I have done that in the past and never met my goals.  So it's just a happens when it happens at this point.  Really would love to hear it run by the end of this year and then get the trans and clutch set up I want around spring next year and hopefully finish everything up around this time next year.  

I am considering a thinner fan but am planning to give it one last try to get the room I need.  I think I can move the turbo back and just clear but it will be close.  Not the end of the world though if I need a new fan setup, just would really like to stick with the factory one as they flow great and the wiring wouldn't need touched.

Oh, okay cool, well that's good.  I wasn't sure if the cup holder was like some in that it just basically sat there.  Maybe slightly held by a tight fit.  I have my '94 which has a different cup holder setup, and I've had 2 '03s and an '04 which are different as well, so I was not familiar with the ones like yours.  I understand with the start-up date and all that.  Most of these builds know no deadlines.  And plans change, parts get back ordered, etc.  

I understand with the fan as well.  The factory ones are pretty good pieces.  I would personally feel better about having an OEM fan than an aftermarket, if I had a choice in the matter.  I was looking at the pics of your setup and trying to think of a way to get some more space, but most everything I think of requires cutting and welding.  For example, cutting out the factory upper crossmember of that core support and replacing it with a bolt-in piece with some sockets for the upper mounting posts of the radiator.  Or not even cutting the whole thing out since the hood latch is sharing it, but say just a little 3" wide rectangle section or so on each side for the posts and then make some bolt-in upper mounts with the grommet/socket.  If that makes sense.  Or even a custom radiator with the mounts on the sides of the tanks.  More than one way to skin a cat.  Depends on what you want I guess.  

I'm curious to see how you over come the vacuum headache I'm currently facing...

What's going on with yours? You ready to fire it up ?

I'm pretty close. It's a pain in the ass to figure out how to plumb the vacuum lines and boost controller up, since on3 4v hotside has two wastegates and most single turbo kits only have one. I'm don't to this, pcv, which I just figured out, and radiator fan..

I'm pretty close. It's a pain in the ass to figure out how to plumb the vacuum lines and boost controller up, since on3 4v hotside has two wastegates and most single turbo kits only have one. I'm don't to this, pcv, which I just figured out, and radiator fan..

Managed to get a little work done this weekend as was planned.. actually makes the car seem like its finally starting to go in the right direction.  First thing was continued sanding on the gauge pod to try and get it to fit a little better as well as getting it ready for paint.  I stopped on it though as I am waiting on the AEM tru boost controller to get in so I can do a final sanding on the pod to fit the gauge snug.  So in the mean time I was able to get back to adjusting the hotside close to the engine to try and free up room for the radiator fan... after a couple hours adjusting and re-adjusting I managed to get it in a spot that seems to work.  It's close though.... real close.

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

I am definitely in need of a turbo blanket if there is any hope of keeping the fan shroud from turning to mush.  But that's a bridge to cross on a different day.   After getting the hotside tightened down and the fan in place I was finally able to mount the turbo (hopefully for the last time).  Then went in the turbo feed and drain lines as well as the wastegates and screamer pipes.

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

Next came the downpipe complete with wideband o2 sensor.  Unfortunately it looks like the downpipe will need lengthened to get below the power steering line, will have a better idea once the rest of the exhaust is put in so I can see where the pipe that connects to the cat back ends up.  

IMG_2689.jpg

Lastly I made up my AN lines for the oil relocation kit and tightened them in as best as I could, there is absolutely no room to get a good sized wrench back where the adapter plate is.  only thing left on it is figuring out where to mount the filter housing.  Also put in the intake pipe to see where the FPR will be mounted and hooked my coolant crossover delete kit back up, need to get a longer upper radiator hose to fit now that my radiator is up an inch and a quarter.

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

That pretty much ends my semi-successful weekend of working on the car.  Next on the to do list are installing the battery box so I can final mount the gas tank and start running the fuel lines.  Then I will go back and hook up the battery relocation kit and start on wiring up the relay boards for the gauges and fuel pumps.

Later, I'm slightly mad you have way more room then I do for whatever reason..

Also, you can actually remove some plastic from the back of the fan shroud that opens up an extra .75" of clearance. Just a thought. Any idea what blanket you will be getting? I also need one for..well...you know.

Also, I seemed to have missed it, how is your drain set up done on the pan?

Looks killer nice work

comin along nicely man!!

Thanks fellas!

Later, I'm slightly mad you have way more room then I do for whatever reason..

Also, you can actually remove some plastic from the back of the fan shroud that opens up an extra .75" of clearance. Just a thought. Any idea what blanket you will be getting? I also need one for..well...you know.

Also, I seemed to have missed it, how is your drain set up done on the pan?

The little room I do have came after hours of adjusting and moving the radiator forward.  I am planning to trim a little of the fan shroud off to get as much room as possible but hopefully keep it to a minimum.  Probably just grab a DEI blanket or something comparable not really sure yet.  As for the oil drain it is a -10 AN bung welded to the oil pan.  The drain tune is a straight -10 AN fitting out of the turbo into a -10 line that I cut as short as possible.  Makes the line run almost vertical and with a very slight turn at the bottom where I am using a -10 45 degree AN fitting to connect to the pan.  

Looks like great progress!  Awesome work!

For what its worth, this is the blanket I have on my car.  I've been really happy with it.  http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=408

Btw, I'm going to be in Indy for a few days, July 30-August 2.  Finish it up by then, take a short drive to Indy and give me a ride and I'll buy you a beer.  That's a fair trade, right?  :D

Looks like great progress! Awesome work!

For what its worth, this is the blanket I have on my car. I've been really happy with it. http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=408

Btw, I'm going to be in Indy for a few days, July 30-August 2. Finish it up by then, take a short drive to Indy and give me a ride and I'll buy you a beer. That's a fair trade, right? :D

Thanks man! I'll definitely look into that blanket. Seems like a fair price too.

Sounds like a more than fair trade to me. Only one small issue. I think the chances of me getting the car done this month are somewhere between laughable and impossible. Lol.

Postpone your trip one year and I maybe able to meet up with a finished car :D

I got plenty of beer here n louisville once you get it done!!' Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

I have thrown back a fair amount of beer on 4th street. lol   Once its done I plan on taking it on some decent trips so I will just have to make it a point to stop in Louisville  :drink_to_that:

Kevin - May I call you Kevin?  
The On3 crossover delete; I see it has a fitting for the factory coolant temp sensor on the driver side but does it have a fitting for the sensor on the passenger side?  If not what is done with the sensor to keep the fan controls?

Kevin - May I call you Kevin?  

The On3 crossover delete; I see it has a fitting for the factory coolant temp sensor on the driver side but does it have a fitting for the sensor on the passenger side?  If not what is done with the sensor to keep the fan controls?

Sure can... been getting called Kevin for years now lol.   There are two variants of the on3 crossover delete.  One is for 99+ cars and only comes with the one sensor fittings, you can also order one with two sensor fittings so us 96-98 guys can retain both coolant temp sensors.  I doubt I have any pictures showing both but they are both there.  

Just checked there website and you can order both the 1 and 2 temp sensor package, the two just cost a little more.