Lanter

Lanter's rebuild of a '98 Cobra

2 hours ago, White95 said:

While it's not what most people would go for, I'm after a "late model classic' Nissan in the future:

Can't go wrong with a R32, while for me the R33 is king there is still something very cool looking about the boxier r32.  I'd love to get into any skyline save for the r35, just can't get myself to really like the new ones for some reason.

23 minutes ago, Lanter said:

Can't go wrong with a R32, while for me the R33 is king there is still something very cool looking about the boxier r32.  I'd love to get into any skyline save for the r35, just can't get myself to really like the new ones for some reason.

A white '95 GTR would keep my screen name intact thinking-face.png

• Haha 1

Some small changes on the car, really haven’t had the chance to drive it much this year with the house renovations and working on other cars. However, now that we are getting closer to boost weather this fall I am starting to get it back out.  Plus a local airport decided to start holding ½ mile racing twice a month all summer and fall, and at only $100 for a full day it’s a decent bargain.  Before I run though I’ll be following @Tabres writeup for adding attachment points to the car for a 5 pt harness.  I picked up the eyelet bolts and snap clip last week so will start installing that soon. 

Another change has been selling the ponies and hoosier slicks.  I found a set of holeshot holestars 16x10 for a decent price.  Ended up wrapping them with 26x11.50 H&R cheater slicks.

43648552264_04b3040f40_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

44364994691_8779eb106a_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Hopefully get back to the drag strip soon and give these tires a try, should be able to launch with more boost and hope they give enough cushion to keep the IRS happy. 

Also picked up a couple more cars, I sold my Jeep TJ a while back and just picked up a notchback project.  Plans are to turn it into a more purpose built drag car but still be mildly street-able.  Then while cruising the Facebook classifieds I came across a pretty local z car, it’s a rough 1972 240z.  For the price I couldn’t pass it up, car will eventually get an LS and just become a driver.  So now half of the shop is full and I really need to start on one of the cars lol.

44364982891_19603f4d37_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

44364994401_18f701d971_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

43648551674_e57567cb3a_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

The notch came with some quality extra parts too, scott rod weld in inner fenders, complete 2003 IRS, brand new rear bumper and trunk lid.

43648542114_e6c1e220fe_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

42557172450_019e0b185a_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Edited by Lanter
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Evilcw311 said:

I got a team z k-member with your name written all over it for that notch!!!!!  🙂

What kind of K member?  I'd be super interested if it happen to be configured for an LS.  

4 hours ago, White95 said:

My modular spec, MM k-member accepts LS or Coyote swaps. Good for thought.

I know you can get adapter plates for mod motor k members, since the LS dimensional-ly is so small.  I was just leaning more towards a dedicated K member for the LS so there's less parts involved.

4 hours ago, Psychorugby said:

Image result for get out gif

Haha,  I know I know.  In my defense I'd like all my cars to be different.  So already having a mod motor with a turbo and a 6 spd makes me want to go turbo LS with an auto and straight axle.  Then one of the z's will be carb'd straight six and the other a NA LS build.  So all four should really be very different cars to drive.

52 minutes ago, RedTwilight said:

Do you have pics of where you had to grind the calipers?  

Don't have any of my car but circled on this picture is where I had to remove material.  I'd say I took 1-2 millimeters off.

43758526274_4350951aa4.jpgcobraRearBrakeGrind by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Edited by Lanter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Prokiller said:

could have also gotten GT brackets.  they don't have that bit on them.

For sure, but this was free and didn't take up time trying to find a set of GT brackets.  But if others are looking at these wheels as a possible drag wheel that's a good route to go.

22 hours ago, Prokiller said:

could have also gotten GT brackets.  they don't have that bit on them.

Then you would have to clearance the inside of the brackets to clear the wider cobra rotor.  A lot more grinding involved to do that... been there. 

On 9/8/2018 at 12:04 PM, 410sn95 said:

Then you would have to clearance the inside of the brackets to clear the wider cobra rotor.  A lot more grinding involved to do that... been there. 

hmmm, i didn't have to do that when i switch to cobra setup keeping the stock GT calipers/brackets.  

3 hours ago, Prokiller said:

hmmm, i didn't have to do that when i switch to cobra setup keeping the stock GT calipers/brackets.  

Perhaps your rotors were worn enough to clear? I used brand new rotors.  No way was it going to work without rubbing.

17 hours ago, 410sn95 said:

Perhaps your rotors were worn enough to clear? I used brand new rotors.  No way was it going to work without rubbing.

i used brand new brembo slotted rotors.  i don't know.  stranger things have happened.

7 hours ago, Prokiller said:

i used brand new brembo slotted rotors.  i don't know.  stranger things have happened.

I used old nos fomoco.  Perhaps a difference in width.  Oh well. 

Since then I have switched to Cobra brackets and FTBR 13in setup.

• Like 1

Some updates for this year, haven't really got to do much aside from enjoying the car.  Have only had the chance to take it to the track a couple of times and still haven't had any clean passes.  Best pass to date is an 11.2 @ 131 mph, pulled a 1.67 sixty foot which I am thrilled with but had to get out of it after the 1-2 shift as the tires broke loose then on the big end the car leaned out past my fail safe widebands threshold so the boost controller shut off for most of 4th gear.  Still the best pass I've had lol.  Car's also remained pretty much untouched.

I did move the oil pressure and boost controller gauges up from my cup holder gauge pod to a cluster pod.  Gives me a bit more comfort being able to monitor oil pressure without looking down.  

New gauge pod

48630672338_eeaaf72a49_b.jpg

Out with the old cup holder pod, sad to see it leave since I put a decent amount of work into it but it was just not an ideal place for a critical gauge like oil pressure.

48631029351_2ac24cd612_b.jpg

New look (man I need to get everything together to swap to a double din radio, I have had the bezel for years but yet to break down for the radio)

48631176117_861a689649_b.jpg

One big change for this year has been installing some Brembo calipers off a cadillac ATS-V.  The only unfortunate part of the swap is they fail to clear my LeMan's, so a small spacer and extended wheel studs had to accompany the brake swap.

48631030191_106e000d82_b.jpg

Oh, I also found a set of Maximum Motorsport coil overs on some low mile 03 cobra Bilsteins for sale near me so I swapped those out for my UPR coils when I did the brake change.

48631029501_f165ede68e_b.jpg

To install the calipers you press out the factory GM threaded bushings and install a new set with the proper offset and that are drilled for the ford spindle thread size/pitch.  You also have to install a small spacer between the rotor and spindle to properly align the caliper and rotor so there is no modification to the brake pads needed.  Some GM brembo swap kits require grinding the pads as they aren't shimmed properly.

48631176122_5c5f19b2be_b.jpg

48631029981_2e1e512e9e_b.jpg

Added bonus, they fit my 17" Jegs skinnys.

48631176047_1a698dfcab_b.jpg

Most recently I found a Roush shift handle on marketplace for cheap, I've always liked the look of them but they are usually priced way to high and rarely come up for sale.  So just another somewhat rare part that's been added to the build.

48630307467_82b5603d10_b.jpg

Installed with a my old shift knob cut down, trans is in 1st gear here.  I do have a new shift knob on its way, black vintage concave top with a 6 speed logo, it matches the knob roush offered but with the correct shift pattern for the magnum.

48630307257_bca304eb56_b.jpg

driver's side and the trans in 2nd gear.

48630154236_4ff3e4d127_b.jpg

That sums up the '98.  I have had a little time to work on the '88, when I'm not working on house projects.......

Cut off the old core support and welded on a tube front end, first time TIG welding so it isn't the prettiest but was good practice lol.

IMG_0582

IMG_2254

IMG_2255

IMG_2259

Then fit on some fenders and a bumper that I found local for dirt cheap.  

48631176177_6441f0f129_b.jpg

48630673318_9b54dc145e_b.jpg

Also picked up a th400 to sit behind the LS and rebuilt the SRA with a strange c-clip eliminator kit, axles, spool.

Unfortunately with the house the notch project is painfully slow and I haven't even started on either of the z cars....

• Like 1

Sell me those Z cars, please and thank you.

Nice additions to the 98.  I like the shift handle.  If I had one complaint about my MGW, it's hard to reach first and third gears while harnessed in.  6'4" dude with long leg problems.  I wish there was something like this that would fit on my MGW shifter without me having to make it, just don't have time for that anymore...

12 hours ago, Tabres said:

Sell me those Z cars, please and thank you.

Nice additions to the 98.  I like the shift handle.  If I had one complaint about my MGW, it's hard to reach first and third gears while harnessed in.  6'4" dude with long leg problems.  I wish there was something like this that would fit on my MGW shifter without me having to make it, just don't have time for that anymore...

I don't think I could part with them at this point, I'm into them too cheap for what the prices have been doing lately.  Especially on 240s.  Unfortunately it'll be years before I get either one done, I'm in the same boat as you on never having time.

Which handle do you have on your MGW?  I was thinking they had blue, red, and orange where the orange was a little longer and reached back further.

7 hours ago, Lanter said:

I don't think I could part with them at this point, I'm into them too cheap for what the prices have been doing lately.  Especially on 240s.  Unfortunately it'll be years before I get either one done, I'm in the same boat as you on never having time.

Which handle do you have on your MGW?  I was thinking they had blue, red, and orange where the orange was a little longer and reached back further.

Definitely understand.  I would have been remiss if I didn't ask.  It's one of the cars my Dad has been throwing around for a new project.

My MGW is an orange handle.  I never thought I had t-rex arms, but maybe I do, idk... 😂

Edited by Tabres