deceptive gt

Door Water Barrier

I am disassembling the interior of the Cobra and plan to repaint the metal under the interior panels to save me a bit of coin on the Cobra build since I am changing the color entirely. Should I trash the water barrier or be careful in taking it off and reinstall when finished?

the plastic vapor/water barrier that was under the door panels I think is what he is talking about.   If its there and you need to go through it then its not worth saving.  You can always replace/upgrade and put in some sound damping.

the plastic vapor/water barrier that was under the door panels I think is what he is talking about.   If its there and you need to go through it then its not worth saving.  You can always replace/upgrade and put in some sound damping.

What would you replace it with? I do plan on sound dampening. I am still working on deciding my stereo setup but will NEED sound dampening.

its one of those technical terms but sound damping cuts down on vibrations.  Now damp-EN-ing a vehicle requires a hose and will leave the vehicle wet.

After using almost every brand out there the only thing I put in my car is second skin damplifier pro but even their basic damplifier is better then most.

Ok, so what do you do with the water barrier? Do you buy a new Ford one? I doubt they even exist for SN95s. Or is there something else out there?

They are there to prevent any water that gets past the window fuzzies from getting to the door panel itself.  This was a bigger issue back when door panels were vinyl covered cardboard, but still important these days IMO considering the wiring/window/door lock switches, etc.  You can carefully peel them off and save them, but honestly the original adhesive probably won't stick very well after being peeled off.  If you get them off and the plastic is still in good condition get a roll of 3M strip caulk to replace the original adhesive when you need to put the shields back on.  Or if you want to replace the plastic keep the old ones to use as templates and buy a roll of thick clear plastic.  And after cutting the new ones out, again use some 3M strip caulk to reattach them to the door.  

And +1 for Second Skin products.  

if its something that you really want to replace take the time to upgrade it and do the sound damping as it will do the same thing as well as decrease road noise and vibrations and probably help your door speakers sound better as well.

They are there to prevent any water that gets past the window fuzzies from getting to the door panel itself.  This was a bigger issue back when door panels were vinyl covered cardboard, but still important these days IMO considering the wiring/window/door lock switches, etc.  You can carefully peel them off and save them, but honestly the original adhesive probably won't stick very well after being peeled off.  If you get them off and the plastic is still in good condition get a roll of 3M strip caulk to replace the original adhesive when you need to put the shields back on.  Or if you want to replace the plastic keep the old ones to use as templates and buy a roll of thick clear plastic.  And after cutting the new ones out, again use some 3M strip caulk to reattach them to the door.  

And +1 for Second Skin products.  

this /\

make a template out of some same thickness plastic from local hardware store and use 3m double sided foam tape or the strip caulk to put it back on.  i personally left mine off as i dont drive it in the rain much anyways

My driver side doesn't have one. Passenger side still does. No issues I can speak of

im in the same boat, i tore both of mine off years ago in highschool, never had any issues.  But i also dont have power windows or locks.